Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 06-23-05, 02:54 AM   #1
Tm_Customs

Default We need to make a sticky for "What rod to buy

Everyday I see about 5-10 posts what rod should I buy? We need to start a sticky so people can see a chart and what rods are good for the price.

Something like this...

So ya' need a new rod, what are you gonna buy?

First there are a few things to conceder how much do you want to spend? How long of a rod do you need? What baits are you gonna use it for?

First off Price rods range from 30-400.00 most people usually buy a rod less than 100.00 but some anglers want a great rod they will save up there money and get a G Loomis GLX.

Length/Action Shorter rods have a better casting accuracy and longer rods loose accuracy and gain casting distance. A all around good choice for a rod is 6’6” or 7” and a got to action is Medium good for fishing all baits some people need a stiffer rod is fishing around a lot of weeds or prefer a softer rod if there in it for a fight!

A few great brands of rods to look at for the Price are
Shakespeare Ugly Stick around 30.00 and have a lifetime warranty!
Shimano has rods ranging from 30-100.00 w/ lifetime warranty’s
Gloomis Has Great rods ranging from 100-400.00 w/ lifetime warranty’s

Just a thought!
Old 06-23-05, 08:51 AM   #2
jeffman
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to jeffman
Default Re: We need to make a sticky for "What rod to

TM,

* * That is a great idea, except tomorrow some moron will post "Wut rod shud I buy." There is an article in the "Articles" section of this site by Jim Reneau called "The art of buying a fishing rod." The next time one of these mental giants ask, we should just refer them to that article and answer thier questions no further. Force them to read, which it seems the current school system does not do!
* * I have come to the conclusion that they are not interested in an answer, they just like seeing thier name in print on this board. They have been told many, many times that there is no "Best lure" and the next day one of them will post *"Wuts the best ....."
* * I sometimes feel like we are caught in "Fishing Pre-school" where the attention span is about 10 seconds or less. *They get on a FISHING site to talk about skateboards, paintball, drag racing, bike riding, cat burning, etc, etc, etc.
* * There is a section on this site called "Articles," where there is all kinds of information about fishing worms, buzzbaits, spinnerbaits, jerkbaits, jigs, etc, where they could read the information in great detail, but every day someone will come on and post "How do you fish a ......" They don't want to learn, they just want to ask questions!

JackL *

jeffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-05, 09:18 AM   #3
zman
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to zman

I'm thinking that Customs might have a good idea though - We should just draft a handful of comprehensive responses to each of the very common questions, cut and paste those when the question is asked, and answer it in no other way.

The last condition is critical to that working though, and it would take a discipline that not everybody is capable of showing.
zman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-05, 02:24 PM   #4
Bassin_Dude
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Bassin_Dude

it would be great if kevin would make like some starting rules for newbies....and a ''how to'' post...then stick it there....like all the other forums have......
Bassin_Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-05, 05:03 PM   #5
kentuckybasser
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to kentuckybasser

yeah, the only problem is...evreyone has a different opinion on which rod to buy...not a good idea for a sticky. that's like having a sticky " ford or chevy"
kentuckybasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-05, 05:24 PM   #6
jglassguy
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to jglassguy

I have tried many rods and am still sticking to the Bionic Blades series only from bass pro.
For me, they have the sensitivity and strength I need, and are not expensive at all..
I'll agree that most rods do what you need them to do, it gets down to weight of the rod and flexiblity and quality ...
I stepped down from buy all star and st croix and got all bionic blades, of course I wouldn't have had to , but all my gear was stolen in 96 except for one all star.
Given, quantum and lots of others have quality rods, but with the bionic blade series they have 5 ft to 7 ft selection in casting style, trigger style and pistol grip
all cork and many eyelets on these rods too..
I talked to some of the better anglers on the trail and many had these rods, they used to be 51 bucks, buy one get one free...rod only, no reel with them.
heres some reviews links:
http://fishing.about.com/library/rev...rvbioblade.htm

[glow=red,2,300]Heres the link showing they cost 79 bucks now[/glow]
http://www.basspro.com/servlet/catal...;cmCat=3334600
jglassguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-05, 06:06 PM   #7
Tm_Customs

My idea for the sticky would be to refer only rods w/ a lifetime warranty.

I also have some BPS rods and there great mine are the older extremes and I love em' we could mention other rods and say there a good rod have a 1 year lifetime warranty. But to alot of guy's a lifetime warranty is key!
Old 06-24-05, 05:34 PM   #8
profishermenkid16
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to profishermenkid16

TM, The problem is that the lifetime warranties on some brands of rods are not worth the paper they are printed on.It is only my opinion, but I have had a great response from companies such as Pinnacle, Quantum,Berkley, Fenwick that only stated a limited warranty , but they stand behind their products. Someone else mentioned All Star doing the same thing, so lifetime warranty just means a bigger price tag on the product in my opinion . P N J
profishermenkid16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-05, 05:53 PM   #9
Bassin_Dude
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Bassin_Dude

PNJ.....ugly stiks have a life time warrentee......and despite the '''sensibility'' factor : (which with my experiance with them the sensibility is good) they are a good rod....atleast mine is...and they are only $40 8)
Bassin_Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-05, 08:31 PM   #10
jglassguy
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to jglassguy

Ask for a ALL STAR next birthday and I bet ya like it lmao
jglassguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.