Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 06-19-05, 11:32 AM   #1
FishinMommy
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to FishinMommy
Default Hook setting

When I go to set the hook I use great force put do not necessarly try to cross their eyes. I use to try to cross their eyes and broke a couple of rods in the process. They were mh rods.How hard do you guys set the hook on average with a plastic worm. I use a sweep set with cranks and with carolina rigs.
FishinMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-05, 02:59 PM   #2
redneck3004
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to redneck3004
Default Re: Hook setting

With razor sharp hook you donĀ“t need to cross eye at the hookset, normally the fish impales itself. My hooks are so sharp that with just raising the tip is more than enough.
redneck3004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-05, 03:06 PM   #3
sabass
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to sabass

I agree with Raul, as long as my hooks are sharp and I'm using a line with little to no stretch like braid or fluro, a light flick of the wrist is all I need to consistantly get good hooksets.
sabass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-05, 03:20 PM   #4
coolman
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to coolman

Hey is the berkley big game line 10lb. have low to no stretch? And if not what non-braided (too expensive for me) line has low to no stretch?
coolman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-05, 04:45 PM   #5
sabass
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to sabass

don't know about the berkley big game. fluro carbon has low stretch, but its expensive also.
sabass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-05, 04:49 PM   #6
Bassin_Dude
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Bassin_Dude

cajun red 8) i use braided and still cross their eyes..........its just what i do 8)
Bassin_Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-05, 05:54 PM   #7
coolman
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to coolman

What do yall mean by cross their eyes?????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ???????????????????????????????????????????????
coolman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-05, 07:16 PM   #8
Bassin_Dude
BassFishin.Com Member

wow...how long did that post take you? cross their eyes is a figure of speech.....it means to set the hook 'HARD'
Old 06-19-05, 07:45 PM   #9
keeb
BassFishin.Com Member

i do it as hard as i can. and even then it sometimes doesnt go through
Old 06-19-05, 10:23 PM   #10
FishinMommy
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to FishinMommy

Jordan I would try a different brand of hooks then or a heavier rod. Sometimes you have to watch fish that hit close to you because if you set the hook too hard then you'll break your line.
FishinMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-05, 10:37 PM   #11
mallard
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to mallard

jordan,

Check to see if your hooks are rusting near the tip. A rusted tip usually means a dull hook. You can easily fix this by getting a file and scraping it off.

I usually do a firm sweeping hookset when using a worm. I don't really think "hard" but I think "firm".
mallard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-05, 11:51 PM   #12
hershey
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to hershey

When I feel a bite wait 2 seconds then dip the rod slightly then do a nice, solid hookset. Since ive been doing this ive been landing alot more fish, I used to let the fish hook itself and sorta tug on the rod, but I lost lots of fish. Pros dont do those huge hooksets for nothing, its to land the fish.
hershey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-05, 01:53 AM   #13
dave_in_fl
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to dave_in_fl

In most applications i dont set the hook hard, but the exception is in heavy cover with a jig or texas rigged soft plastic. The point here is to use super heavy line and rod, and the hook set becomes less about getting the hook into the fishs mouth and more about moving him fast and hard away from the cover before he realizes what happened. This means pulling the fish 3 or 4 feet on the hookset so he cant get you hung up in the cover. A lot of people still use this kind of hookset for everything, but as mentioned by others with todays hooks its not necessary.
dave_in_fl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-05, 03:03 AM   #14
Tm_Customs

When I am flipping I try to make them POP there eye's!
Old 06-20-05, 05:54 AM   #15
randerson52
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to randerson52

i also do as Lone, i do a nice firm sweep on em. I didnt do it last night and cost me 2 nice nice fish.
randerson52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-05, 01:37 PM   #16
juicy
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to juicy

Depends on baits using, treble hooked baits a sweeping pull type set. Jigs or plastics where you have a weed guard or plastic to pull the hook through, I cross the eyes
juicy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-05, 02:25 PM   #17
jdkc
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to jdkc

Ok i know this isn't about bass, but it is fishin nonetheless. Went catfishin last night. Had one bite where the end of my pole DOVE down, and it went sliding across the dock. When I grabbed it and pulled back didn't get him. Happened about 4 times to me and my friend. We was mad.
jdkc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-05, 02:29 PM   #18
madmarty
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to madmarty

If I miss a fish on a texas rigged worm you had better be ducking cause you can bet its going to come flying back. Nuff said.
madmarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-05, 03:22 PM   #19
Bassin_Dude
BassFishin.Com Member

ithica....did you not learn the first time ??? i would had some frod holders or just held the rod.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.