Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 07-22-09, 11:18 PM   #26
bamabassman
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

trust me boss you DON'T want to know.
Old 07-23-09, 01:00 PM   #27
zooker

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamabassman View Post
yeah something like dat..

zooker
Old 07-23-09, 04:49 PM   #28
Bassboss

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamabassman View Post
Obeekabee bama, what ever y'all say!
Old 07-24-09, 09:24 PM   #29
JerseyFisher
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Went with your idea nofear and got the abu garcia silver max/berkley lightening rod combo. It seems really nice, I went out in the yard and was casting it and I seem to have the hang of it so far, only two bird's nests and was able to get them out quite easily. I think I'm gonna fall in love with baitcasters.
JerseyFisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-09, 10:08 PM   #30
Jim80
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyFisher View Post
Went with your idea nofear and got the abu garcia silver max/berkley lightening rod combo. It seems really nice, I went out in the yard and was casting it and I seem to have the hang of it so far, only two bird's nests and was able to get them out quite easily. I think I'm gonna fall in love with baitcasters.
Give it some time man and you'll be fine with the new reel . I taught one of the fathers that was camping with us last weekend how to throw a baitcaster in about twenty minutes and he fished with it for about 3 hours and not a single backlash .

And Zooker isn't that the mega force reel you just got not to long ago ?

Jim
Old 07-25-09, 09:18 AM   #31
zooker

jimbo
and have yet to use it..

zooker
Old 07-26-09, 04:41 PM   #32
Jim80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassboss View Post
Awww, that sucks! I gotta try to use a right hand caster (gonna get a cheep one at wally), see if I can cope, this way if a reels only in right hand I can still get and not have it be a pain in the azz to use.... or more so than if I didn't get a cheep righty.

Which one's you dad?

Boss
Boss grab either a pinnacle lp100 (39.99) or a pinnacle inertia (59.99) both are solid reels and preform like a much higher priced reel , you wouldn't be disappointed with either one .

jim
Old 07-26-09, 04:46 PM   #33
Jim80

Quote:
Originally Posted by zooker View Post
jimbo
and have yet to use it..

zooker
Zook I have been beating the snot out of the one I got and it takes it all great reel imo , All I have had to do was take it apart and lube it because it sat in the store for quite a while .

Jim
Old 07-26-09, 04:47 PM   #34
zooker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim80 View Post
Boss grab either a pinnacle lp100 (39.99) or a pinnacle inertia (59.99) both are solid reels and preform like a much higher priced reel , you wouldn't be disappointed with either one .

jim
both reels are great castin but tend to cramp my big paw up..never let a girlfriend/wife get a hold of one or its gone..

zooker
Old 07-30-09, 02:00 PM   #35
RandyHolt
BassFishin.Com Member

I just got my first birdnestcreator, i picked up a BPS Extreme last week. I will share a tip that I havent seen discussed much. And it may not even work. Someone at BPS suggested putting a strip of electrical tape on my backing. Great I thought. So I loaded up my BC - halfway with old mono, taped it up, and loaded up some nicer line.

Learning to cast fluidly, it wasnt long before I had a megabirdnest. I ended up cutting out a bunch of line, still getting no where near the tape I had added to my reel. So i decided, why not use tape more than just one time when spooling the reel.

Is there any reason I should not do this, or it should not be recommended to the BC noobs? If I put a piece of tape too close to the top, off it will come. Now as i learn to cast, my birdnest cannot be more than ~15% of my reel.

Also, it seems when I am testing my drag, the line digs deep into my spool. It even got stuck in there one time. Electrical tape will help prevent this as well. Or at least I expect it to.

Any more tips for how to spool a BC reel for a noob are much appreciated.
RandyHolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-09, 02:20 PM   #36
MississippiBoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyHolt View Post
I just got my first birdnestcreator, i picked up a BPS Extreme last week. I will share a tip that I havent seen discussed much. And it may not even work. Someone at BPS suggested putting a strip of electrical tape on my backing. Great I thought. So I loaded up my BC - halfway with old mono, taped it up, and loaded up some nicer line.

Learning to cast fluidly, it wasnt long before I had a megabirdnest. I ended up cutting out a bunch of line, still getting no where near the tape I had added to my reel. So i decided, why not use tape more than just one time when spooling the reel.

Is there any reason I should not do this, or it should not be recommended to the BC noobs? If I put a piece of tape too close to the top, off it will come. Now as i learn to cast, my birdnest cannot be more than ~15% of my reel.

Also, it seems when I am testing my drag, the line digs deep into my spool. It even got stuck in there one time. Electrical tape will help prevent this as well. Or at least I expect it to.

Any more tips for how to spool a BC reel for a noob are much appreciated.
Tape is a good thing. I like to use it on my braided line, since that stuff is so durn expensive. Tie a weight on your line, maybe a large washer or nut from your junk drawer in the storage shed, and make a looong cast, way longer than you think you'll ever cast a real lure. Or just pull out enough line to make maybe 3 long casts. Put the tape at that point, and reel your line back in. That will keep your backlashes from getting out of hand.

Are you using mono or braid? Line digging is very common with braid, not so much with mono. Make sure you have a fair amount of tension when spooling your line onto the reel. If it's loose, you'll have more backlash problems, and may cause the digging.
Old 07-30-09, 02:25 PM   #37
RandyHolt
BassFishin.Com Member

i used 100% Mono for my first birdnest, in full anticipation of it being cut off. And it was after one day. My second spooling is ~80% Mono, 20% PLine Floroclear and three pieces of electrical tape, which I have only done a few token casts with. Those percentages are guestimates, I am still trying to find an accurate way to measure how much of each line I am spooling. Just eyeing it of course. Thanks for the tip MB, i guess the BPS guys want to sell lots of line and dont want to tell you to tape near your casting capacity.
RandyHolt is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.