Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 07-15-10, 12:07 PM   #1
plugsandaxes
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Lefty or Righty - Bass Ackwards!

So, it probably doesn't make for much of a conversation, but...

I've always wondered why people choose their "strong" hand/arm for reeling. I'm a southpaw, but choose to use right-handed reels to free my left hand for the strength and for lure technique. It just seems more natural to me that way.

So, do you do the same? If not, why do you use your "weak" arm for working the rod when that's the arm doing 90% of the work? Just curious!
plugsandaxes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-10, 12:27 PM   #2
BigBassin144
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

While not completely about this topic, there's a lot of good info on fishing RH vs LH in this thread. http://www.bassfishin.com/bassfishin...ad.php?t=24599

BB
Old 07-15-10, 12:39 PM   #3
walkeraviator
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

I just was taught this way... but now that you say strong hand vs weak hand, i have a theory... if you work the rod with yoru strong hand you may have the tendency to overwork or power the bait instead of working it lightly... what say you?
walkeraviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-10, 12:58 PM   #4
Jrob78

Posted by Kevin in the other thread.

Quote:
I'll add my thoughts here... since this topic gets me riled up quite a bit...

If you are buying your first baitcaster and you are right-handed, then you MUST buy a left-hand retrieve reel.

Having fished with nothing but left-hand retrieve reels my entire life, I know the importance of reeling with the left hand and having the power and coordination on the right. Knowing what I know having fished LH reels my whole life, if I slipped through a worm hole and traveled back in time and somehow found myself conditioned to RH reels, I would toss them aside and retrain myself to fish with LH reels.

I feel for the guys who got roped in early with the RH reel traditions back in the day. But I just want to make it known that left-hand retrieve reels should be the only reels 'new right-handed anglers' should be buying. It pains me to see a young kid or novice adult who is right-handed by a RH reel because they see all the pro's fishing RH reels... or worse yet, the salesman talks them into the RH reel (I've seen this and cringed!)
I think that sums it up pretty well. If I could make my muscles un-learn what they've been doing for 25 years I would. That is pretty unlikely and buying all new reels to replace all my righties isn't going to happen either.
Jrob78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-10, 01:39 PM   #5
Embrey
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

im right handed...i have to cast with my right hand though. i switched to left last year. i had an idea that i could do better that way. it made sense until i tried it. but while fishing things like buzzbaits,spinnerbaits,i like to start the retrieve the instant it touches water or before. using a right handed reel,i can thumb the spool and start the retrieve while my left hand is going up to palm the reel. then i switch my right hand to reeling. it makes for a perfect retrieve. there is really no way to do that casting a left hand reel,i tried.i took them all back. im way happier using a right handed reel
Embrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-10, 01:41 PM   #6
rodnreel
BassFishin.Com Active Member

I guess I'm an exception to the rule. I consider myself to be left handed because I write, use scissors, and eat with my left hand. However, when it comes to sports, like baseball, basketball, and football, I do everything right handed. When I fish, it's natural for me to reel with my left hand and work/hold the rod with my right. I think that those just learning how to fish should force themselves to fish with left handed reels. It's the most effective way of doing it because you don't have to constantly keep switching hands.
Old 07-15-10, 01:50 PM   #7
AUFred

I have fished with spincast, baitcast, spinning reels & flyrods so many years I never think about which hand is reeling and which hand is holding the rod. I do not own any left-handed baitcast reels but I can't see it would make a huge difference to me. I never gave it much thought.
AUFred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-10, 02:02 PM   #8
nofearengineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Embrey View Post
im right handed...i have to cast with my right hand though. i switched to left last year. i had an idea that i could do better that way. it made sense until i tried it. but while fishing things like buzzbaits,spinnerbaits,i like to start the retrieve the instant it touches water or before. using a right handed reel,i can thumb the spool and start the retrieve while my left hand is going up to palm the reel. then i switch my right hand to reeling. it makes for a perfect retrieve. there is really no way to do that casting a left hand reel,i tried.i took them all back. im way happier using a right handed reel

Embrey, I do the exact same thing with spinnerbaits and buzzbaits, and I use a left-retrieve reel. I simply use the rod to "drag" the spinnerbait a few inches while my cranking hand gets settled. I'm not sure I understand how a right-retrieve reel could be cranked any sooner in the cast than a left-retrieve.
Old 07-15-10, 02:15 PM   #9
cassidyta

On baitcaster's I use both left and right retrieve. I learned a caster with a right hand retrieve and it just came natural. There really isn't a reason for owning both other than finding reels at a good price but them only coming in left or right. I don't even think about it any more when using them.
I do find that I am better at walking the dog if the rod is in my right hand.

For spinning reels however, I can not use a right handed retrieve to save me.
Old 07-15-10, 02:21 PM   #10
DaveW731

Default Just habit, I guess.

I'm right handed, VERY comfortable with a baitcast setup with handles on the right side. I find left handed baitcast reels very awkward. All of my spinning reels have the handle on the left side, which I am also very comfortable with and find right handed spinning reels very awkward. Go figure.
DaveW731 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-10, 03:31 PM   #11
plugsandaxes
BassFishin.Com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by walkeraviator View Post
I just was taught this way... but now that you say strong hand vs weak hand, i have a theory... if you work the rod with yoru strong hand you may have the tendency to overwork or power the bait instead of working it lightly... what say you?
Good point. Although, I always think to myself that I work baits too slowly and lightly, if anything. Who knows. I'm ambidextrous, though, so I may have to give it a few tries the other way.

I do tend to do things "right-handed" or with right-handed gear in many cases, I guess. In high school, I used to bat right and left, but way more comfortable as right. To me, it made sense the same way fishing does...left arm leads for power and control, while the right is for a follow through. Same with kicking with my right leg - it felt more natural since it was my left arm pivoting in towards my right leg for balance. Anyway, whatever! lol.

Great to see peoples' thoughts here. I was bored while trying to wake up this morning and it crossed my mind to post about this.
Old 07-15-10, 06:52 PM   #12
Dave63

Casting rod, I cast right and switch the rod to the left and reel right handed. Spinning rod I cast right and reel left, same with the fly rod.
Dave63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-10, 07:06 PM   #13
Jim80

Hey man I am a lefty only in the fact that I write with that hand, my right hand/arm is the stronger side of my body by far. I still reel right handed for some reason reeling with my left hand just feels funny . though I feel I have more control of the rod with it in my left hand .

Jim
Old 07-15-10, 07:58 PM   #14
Rebbasser

I cast right and reel right with a baitcaster and switch hands, usually when the bait is still in the air. Been doing it so long it is automatic.

I do crank a spinning rod with my left hand
Old 07-15-10, 11:53 PM   #15
Jrob78

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebbasser View Post
I cast right and reel right with a baitcaster and switch hands, usually when the bait is still in the air. Been doing it so long it is automatic.

I do crank a spinning rod with my left hand
Me too.....
Jrob78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-10, 02:22 AM   #16
Embrey

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofearengineer View Post
Embrey, I do the exact same thing with spinnerbaits and buzzbaits, and I use a left-retrieve reel. I simply use the rod to "drag" the spinnerbait a few inches while my cranking hand gets settled. I'm not sure I understand how a right-retrieve reel could be cranked any sooner in the cast than a left-retrieve.
thats what im saying...but you have to move your hand from casting pos to the reeling pos,,and it doesnt work so well in the same hand...to me
Embrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-10, 05:39 AM   #17
bassboogieman

I don't know the percentage of people (fisherpeople in this instance) that are right hand dominant vs. left hand. But I believe the majority are right handed. Reel manufacturer's produce a majority of right handed reels - some models within a brand are ONLY available in right handed configurations. Why is that? Can't be because the majority of fishermen (women) are left handed. There must be some logic behind it, I'm sure they didn't conspire to make everyone fish right handed. I'm right handed and fish with right handed reels, leftys feel awkward - if we're talking baitcasters anyway. So if I'm confortable fishing rightys - why should I "retrain" myself? Will it make me a better fisherman? I doubt that has any more impact improving my fishing that using "expensive" equipment (remember that thread). It boils down to the old argument - my way is best, I don't buy in to that. I'm open to suggestions, but to tell me I should "retrain" myself because I'm doing it wrong, is going a bit far.
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-10, 08:27 AM   #18
BassMoJo

Send a message via AIM to BassMoJo

I never really thought about it but I fish my baitcasters RH'ed and my spinning set ups LH'ed. Now it feels natural on the spinning rod but I couldnt imagen LH on a baitcasters it would just feel weird
Old 07-16-10, 09:11 AM   #19
3dkicker

Mojo -come over to the dark side!

Darth Vader: If he could be turned, he will become a powerful ally.
Emperor: Yes. He would be a great asset. Can it be done?
Darth Vader: He will join us or die, my master.

I've been using both left and right. Left handed for all flipping and pitching. I use my dominant hand (right) to control the fish and bring them out of heavy cover. I also use them for spinnerbait, chatterbait, and buzzbait to begin the retrieve without switching hands.
Right handed retrieve I use for crankbaits and topwater. A slower sweeping hook set works well for both of these lures. Plus I'm not looking at an immediate hook set with these lures.
Plus I have shoulder issues, torn rotator cuff, and after 8-9 hours my right arm gets tired so switching up during the day helps.
Old 07-16-10, 11:44 AM   #20
nofearengineer

I will say while I obviously fall very squarely into the "left-handed crank" crowd, I am plenty happy to accomodate the retarded guys who crank right.

When I bought my 4 downrigger rods and reels, I bought two lefty and two righty. My reasoning is, most of the people I fish with still use righty, and I will probably never have more than 2 rods out if I am fishing by myself. (heck, I'm only allowed 3 by law). Fishing is more about the company than the hardware. I know you probably never thought you'd hear me say that!
Old 07-16-10, 12:24 PM   #21
bassboogieman

Ok, I'm retarded now? Wonderful, but what about all the left handed guys that crank right? They can't be retarded . . . . . if they aren't retarded . . . . . than that makes righty's that crank lefty, wait that makes lefty's that crank lefty, crap. I'm so confused.
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-10, 12:40 PM   #22
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassboogieman View Post
Ok, I'm retarded now? Wonderful, but what about all the left handed guys that crank right? They can't be retarded . . . . . if they aren't retarded . . . . . than that makes righty's that crank lefty, wait that makes lefty's that crank lefty, crap. I'm so confused.
Yeah, you lost me too...

BB
Old 07-16-10, 03:24 PM   #23
plugsandaxes
BassFishin.Com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim80 View Post
Hey man I am a lefty only in the fact that I write with that hand, my right hand/arm is the stronger side of my body by far. I still reel right handed for some reason reeling with my left hand just feels funny . though I feel I have more control of the rod with it in my left hand .

Jim
That is weird that you feel a bit more coordinated on your left, but more powerful on your right, man. Pretty cool, though. I think you're the first person I've come across in that situation. I wonder how much of the "power" portion of it (on your right side) was conditioned that way. ie: through work you've done in life, etc. Did you always feel stronger on your right?
Old 07-16-10, 03:47 PM   #24
geezer1

Quote:
I am plenty happy to accomodate the retarded guys who crank right.

Even if you wear fresh lipstick, I'm still not going to let you "accomodate" me.
geezer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-10, 07:30 PM   #25
AUFred

Quote:
I will say while I obviously fall very squarely into the "left-handed crank" crowd, I am plenty happy to accomodate the retarded guys who crank right.

When I bought my 4 downrigger rods and reels, I bought two lefty and two righty. My reasoning is, most of the people I fish with still use righty, and I will probably never have more than 2 rods out if I am fishing by myself. (heck, I'm only allowed 3 by law). Fishing is more about the company than the hardware. I know you probably never thought you'd hear me say that!

i'm a happy retard.
AUFred is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.