Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 07-21-05, 10:14 PM   #1
motorOil
BassFishin.Com Member

Default lunar effects

Does anyone plan their fishing trips based on the moon's phases? Does it help? If so, how much?

Thanks
Old 07-21-05, 10:23 PM   #2
Raul
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

To tell you the truth I don´t pay attention to them, to me climathological conditions are more important than the moon phases, some believe in them, I don´t, hundreds of times I have fished when according to the solunar tables the day was marked as "poor" and made a killing or fished when the tables mark as "excellent" just to get near skunk, also when periods are marked as "low" and catch one fish after another on almost every cast and so on. I think it´s more important how you feel and what you consider to be good, how you select your bait, how you present is, how good you are in locating the fish, those things are what makes you succesful, not the moon phases.
Raul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-05, 10:30 PM   #3
Rebbasser
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

I'm with Raul on that one-I'm more concerned with the weather.

How you doing, amigo? Nice to see you!
Old 07-21-05, 10:34 PM   #4
motorOil
BassFishin.Com Member

Locating the fish? Are there any good tips in doing this. I've really been having trouble. I usually go fishing on Sunday mornings, 4 hours, regardless of the conditions. It's my only free time. I'm a beginner and thank you all for the tips and advice!!
Old 07-21-05, 10:43 PM   #5
Rebbasser

Give us a little info on where you are fishing-lake, pond, weeds, flooded timber, lilly pads, etc. That will give us a reference point.
Old 07-21-05, 10:49 PM   #6
motorOil
BassFishin.Com Member

Lay Lake Alabama. I mostly try grassy beds early and stump beds when it heats up because they are deeper, 15-25 feet. I usually fish plastics; 6" worms, trick worms, lizards.
Old 07-21-05, 11:00 PM   #7
Rebbasser

Sounds like you are fishing in the right places. Fish the weeds early then move into deeper water as the day heats up. I've had good luck with twin tailed grubs along steep rocky banks and with a Carolina rig in deeper water.
Old 07-21-05, 11:07 PM   #8
Dyas

Send a message via AIM to Dyas

Good to see another person from bama.................. I would pay more attention to the weather. I havent fished lay lake before but Hopefully I will get to in the future...................
Old 07-22-05, 11:19 AM   #9
Raul

Locating the fish always is the toughest part and it´s probably the most complicated thing to do, some guidelines are: where two different type of structures and/or cover meet or are very near one to the other ( ex. where grass meets wood or two types of weeds meet, where mud and stone meet ) where cover is standing or very near a mayor structural feature ( like weeds near a drop-off, or growing over a hump, etc ), shade is a cover feature, fish from the bright side into the shady side, wind also provides cover and creates a hunting opportunity for bass, it diminishes light penetration, baitfish congregate on the wind blown banks, not because they can´t swim as popular belief says, it´s because plankton is concentrated by wind. look at the terrain surrounding the lake, what you see above water level is exactly what´s below water level, look at the weedbeds, weeds only grow as deep as long as they have enough light, a "hole" in the weedbed indicates that the substrate is different or that is deeper, cast into the weedbed and retrieve into the hole and let your bait drop, also weedbeds have points, fish them like structural points.
Raul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-05, 01:37 PM   #10
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raul
Locating the fish always is the toughest part and it´s probably the most complicated thing to do, some guidelines are: where two different type of structures and/or cover meet or are very near one to the other ( ex. where grass meets wood or two types of weeds meet, where mud and stone meet ) where cover is standing or very near a mayor structural feature ( like weeds near a drop-off, or growing over a hump, etc ), shade is a cover feature, fish from the bright side into the shady side, wind also provides cover and creates a hunting opportunity for bass, it diminishes light penetration, baitfish congregate on the wind blown banks, not because they can´t swim as popular belief says, it´s because plankton is concentrated by wind. look at the terrain surrounding the lake, what you see above water level is exactly what´s below water level, look at the weedbeds, weeds only grow as deep as long as they have enough light, a "hole" in the weedbed indicates that the substrate is different or that is deeper, cast into the weedbed and retrieve into the hole and let your bait drop, also weedbeds have points, fish them like structural points.
im florida boy i fish the small ponds around my house and i catch 5 pound bass year round and im only 13 years old
Old 07-22-05, 03:48 PM   #11
lockjaw
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Birmingham huh? I'm from Scottsboro not too far from you. I would answer your question but since you're an Auburn fan................ Just kidding. Although a full moon does have a positive effect on your fishing sucess weather always prevails. I only plan night fishing trips based on the moon phase. I always prefer to go three days before before and after a new or full moon.
Old 07-22-05, 03:51 PM   #12
Dyas

ROLL TIDE
Old 07-22-05, 03:58 PM   #13
lockjaw
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Thats Right!
Old 07-22-05, 04:52 PM   #14
KenDammit
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

ehh, worryin about too much stuff just takes the fun out of it for me. The way I see it, the only way you're gonna get better is if you fish everything, not just when some chart says its "good". Like others I've fished on days when the charts say the fishing will be poor, and killed the fish, 15-20 bass among other things. Then, I've fished on the "good" days and had to work and work just to get one fish. Just go for it, fish every day you want to, and try to put your knowledge of the situation you're in to the test, it'll make you better.
KenDammit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-05, 07:09 PM   #15
Dyas

Thats what makes me mad. people trying to tell you when the fish are going to bite and have no control over the situation or the fish. But I just go fishing wether they bite or not. Lessons are better learned than told is what my grandfather use to say................ And he was right............. So just go fishing whenever you please and you will be suprised to how much you learn.
Old 07-22-05, 10:57 PM   #16
the mud man
BassFishin.Com Member

Default yea I was forced to use the moon to plan trips

I had a girlfriend who used to go nuts around the full moon so i used to have to go fishin during the full moon for my own protection
the mud man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-05, 10:40 AM   #17
flachristopherkeene9
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Roll Tide Here TOO
flachristopherkeene9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-05, 08:45 PM   #18
motorOil
BassFishin.Com Member

Thanks to you all for your advice about the moon. I'm just going to keep fishing when I get a chance, no matter what the conditions are? Definately good to see some alabama folks show their pride. War Eagle and good luck to you all next time on the water.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.