Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 10-20-05, 03:22 PM   #1
rrw4258
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default Brand of Jigs/Trailers

What brand of Jigs do you guys like the most, and in what colors for murky water? What about Jig trailers? Thanks!!

Ryan
Old 10-20-05, 03:43 PM   #2
Fish On
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Send a message via AIM to Fish On

So many questions
Bass stalker
strike works

Black blue

Zoom trailers
Alluringbaits beavers
Old 10-20-05, 04:42 PM   #3
JB
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

I'd have to say that Stanley has probably made the most of its money selling jigs, and I have bought many of thiers, however
once you really get in to jig fishing you buy dif. jigs on the dif. characteristics of each.
The shape of the lead head, be it round, horsehead, mushroom or other , plus diferences in skirts, and colors, and material.
I wouldnt go to the river with out a hair jig, whereas a big lake I prefer a black and blue rubber skirt.
I started with Uncle Josh pork and also use many craw plastic trailers..they all have a dif fall rate and are fun to mix n match.
If more young anglers would just think of the jig bite like their ol fav. worm bite, more would use them with confidence
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-05, 06:21 PM   #4
KH.

never heard of stanley
Old 10-20-05, 06:47 PM   #5
Rebbasser

kh, Lonnie Stanley is a Texas Bass Pro that started making jigs and still does, but has expanded into spinnerbaits and most recently, soft plastics, with the Ribbit Frog being the newest. Nice guy, too. I've known him for several years.
Old 10-20-05, 09:42 PM   #6
KH.

wait a minute,i have some ribbits,worked well ,in fact better than a horny toad.good bait,hopefully when i buy some jigs,they will catch many fish,just like the ribbit
Old 10-21-05, 05:02 AM   #7
zooker

umm well i think i may be goin toward the jig side but i have no real confadince in them..though i have only caught 10 bass with them myself..

zooker
Old 10-21-05, 05:28 AM   #8
pig n jig

This is not a question that can be answered without writing a book type posting.P N J
pig n jig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-05, 07:47 AM   #9
1FASTLASER

KH1501 are you sure you even bass fish. Not makin fun of you but anyone that hasnt heard of Stanley jigs is either pullin someone's legs or leads a very sheltered life.

ZOOK
THIS IS DIRECTED AT YOU . DONT YOU DARE GIVE UP HOPE ON THE PNJ OR IM GONNA COME TO NC AND IT AINT GONNA BE PRETTY.
1FASTLASER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-05, 08:42 AM   #10
KH.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1FASTLASER
KH1501 are you sure you even bass fish. Not makin fun of you but anyone that hasnt heard of Stanley jigs is either pullin someone's legs or leads a very sheltered life.

ZOOK
THIS IS DIRECTED AT YOU . DONT YOU DARE GIVE UP HOPE ON THE PNJ OR IM GONNA COME TO NC AND IT AINT GONNA BE PRETTY.

first of all,this is my second year bass fishing without live bait.i was looking around wal-mart and they dont carry stanley.me being 14,i cant drive yet,my folks wont drive me to the nearest spotring good store called

big buck sports.
i have managed to get there once,and thats where i got those ribbits.

and even if you do go to carolina,i dont think you have a chance against zook
Old 10-21-05, 11:28 AM   #11
lizardsrule

Quote:
Originally Posted by kh51501
and even if you do go to carolina,i dont think you have a chance against zook
Sure you do, just give him the new .com for some real hot chicks, and let him look while you fish

Lizards
Old 10-21-05, 03:58 PM   #12
rrw4258

i have tried stanley jigs, and have caught a couple fish on them, i think i will buy some more.
Old 10-21-05, 04:07 PM   #13
rrw4258

do you have to match the color of the jig trailer to the jig or can you mix and match?
Old 10-21-05, 04:56 PM   #14
Rebbasser

I usually match the color, but on the flip side there are no hard and fast rules-best way to find out is to try it.
Old 10-21-05, 05:08 PM   #15
pig n jig

There hasn't been a Stanley jig around my area in years.I don't know why no one sells them any more. I don't go to great lengths to make sure the trailer matches the jig skirt.profile and fall rate are more important than matching colors.P N J
pig n jig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-05, 08:28 PM   #16
KH.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizardsrule
Sure you do, just give him the new .com for some real hot chicks, and let him look while you fish

Lizards
lol,i think he meant fist to fist but that works too.zooks a big man,hopefully if he does go carolina,laser is a big man two
Old 10-21-05, 11:15 PM   #17
Fishie

check out some Lucky strike jigs. They do the job!
Old 10-22-05, 05:28 AM   #18
1FASTLASER

KH

I aint a big person by most peoples standards just older and wiser. Now ifn you talkin fishin he better do his homework and be ready I gotta few tricks up my sleeve that I dont know if he has had the opportunity to try. A tourney between me and zook would be VERY interesting and well worth being a spectator on cause the others that tried to participate well....... WOULDN'T STAND A CHANCE. LOL
1FASTLASER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-05, 06:31 PM   #19
zooker

well seeing laser stands 5'8'' and pushing 225 pounds-conservative-with the average reach of 28". i stand 6'5'' 340 pounds have a reach of 33" it would be a totally unfair advanatage for me as being 9" taller i could propel the spinner bait farther with better accuracy. while keeping my line of sight farther ahead..also laser is used to fishing heavily vegatated waters. and i fish weed free enviroments.. too differant schools of techiques are used for fishing. recently spoke with a man from L.A. -baton rouge- after fishing the same lake for 6 months he has not figured out the bass here in nc.. think about it..

zooker
Old 10-22-05, 07:13 PM   #20
JB

Being a steel worker, I am amazed at some of my buddies that have huge forearms, can really throw a bait like a spinnerbait a long way.

I think endurance on the water is more due to conditioning, adding time on the water each time until a 8-10 hour day is no sweat!
When I go out the first time in spring I can last about 45 minutes of constant casting without getting tired, and within a few weeks can build up to 2-3 hours, where at the end of the season like now, I can stay out all day no sweat.

Course, if ya worm fish or slow fish, its not nearly as hard on your casting arm and the dreaded "lobster claw" hand afterwords lol..anyone ever get that ?
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-05, 09:29 PM   #21
zooker

nope not any more i fish year round. rain,sleet,snow, or HURRICANE.

i have no problem of chunk in winding. i have only had 1 problem with pain that was after 4 hours of pitchin with out switching hands or puttin the rod down. using a left handed reel.i had to switch to my heavier flippin stick just to give my arm a rest about 11am..

this aint to mention the almost consant pain i am in in my lower body..knees, feet, ankles. at times 4 advil every 4 hours...

zooker
Old 10-22-05, 11:54 PM   #22
flachristopherkeene9
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Hey zook give me some of those Hurricane tips!!! Gonna fish tom. and monday (if they give us school off). Started getting bands tonight from this thing.

Chris
flachristopherkeene9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-05, 09:24 AM   #23
zooker

ratl traps and a 1/2 oz spinner bait. ride the spool with your thumb..

zooker
Old 10-23-05, 04:16 PM   #24
Fishie

I can fish all day and all night and not get tired. Two summers ago I have tendonitous from fishing every day. I fish mainly worms but will burn rattle traps and cranks on good days for it of throw some topwaters here and there.
Old 10-23-05, 06:23 PM   #25
River stumps
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Take advantage of that youth while you have it. And I do admire you guys for having it. I am 64, my friend is 63 and we still have our little contest. Our casting ability is not like it was a few years back, and we can't pitch and flip like we once did. But we still manage to lay it on each every week or so. He bought him a new Shimano bait caster and new rod. He was showing off his new under hand roll cast, but his 63 year old mind forgot to release the thumb bar on his new Shimano and it seperated from his hand, it went into the drink. He blamed it on to having carpal tunnel syndrome. He will not admit that he has lost his youth. Do we love fishing? Yes we do. We fished Thr, Fri and Sat in the Alligator. Caught lots of fish on spooks and spinner baits. He knew I had fallen in the drink about two weeks back, so he brings a seat belt for me. And I just had to return the favor. I brought a small puppy leash with me, tied it to his rod and to his right casting wrist. I said all that to say this. We may not be as young as you fellows. But we still have alot of fun trying to be. Stay young and healthy. And happy fishing.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.