Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 08-17-06, 04:28 PM   #1
ironman
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to ironman
Default finding bass

Do you guy's know any tip's on finding bass because I belive that might be what my problem is I just can't find them. Do you know way's to like read the current or anything they tell's where they might be other then map's. I just usally go to lily pad's or fallen tree's but shere is not working.
ironman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-06, 04:44 PM   #2
JB
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Its more of a matter of depth, shallow after a rain or spring, but in this summer heat some go deeper or in creek channels, concerning your question of current, look for smallmouth in current and nearby creek channel..
We have shallow lakes here in oHIo, so summer patterns for fish in 7-9 feet of water or shallower are a reality... tree tops, docks, and any minor slopes will hold fish.
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-06, 05:07 PM   #3
GoneFishN
BassFishin.Com Member

at age 14, read alot, listen to local anglers, ask everyone. try keeping a small notebook of when and where you catch fish and what on. over time you will come to see patterns in how they are biting, on what and where. try to fish as many places as often as you can to see if what works in one will work in all. remember presentation matters alot. look for natural "lines" along the shore, by structure, to maximize your casts.
GoneFishN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-06, 05:14 PM   #4
MinnesotaAngler
BassFishin.Com Member

Maybe you need to try a different presentation? Try something flashy and quick to get a reactionary bite or if you're doing that already throw in a drop shot or Carolina rig. Run crankbaits that bounce off those fallen trees and other deep structure.
MinnesotaAngler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-06, 05:20 PM   #5
BassQualifier
BassFishin.Com Member

Some good advice here. But just remember that bass fishing is one heck of a difficult sport and being able to find bass is hard for everyone and there are no solid answers. Keep an open mind when you are fishing and concentrate on being aware of your surroundings and what it looks like underwater. Pay close attention to things like wind, current and shade.

One of the best tips I can give on helping to find the fish is to crank up your casting. If you need to locate some aggressive fish (those most willing to bite), tie on a reactionary lure, something that moves quick like a spinnerbait or shallow crankbait that you can retrieve quickly. Make as many casts as you can and cover as much water as possible. Keep moving until you can catch one fish. Then once you catch a fish, slow down and try to repeat that in that general area and see if there are more where the first came from.
BassQualifier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-06, 05:36 PM   #6
RatLTrap
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Send a message via MSN to RatLTrap

Try dif things. Dont always fish the brush, if you aren't getting bites in the brush, move.
Old 08-17-06, 05:37 PM   #7
ironman

I thank's guy's really appriciate it. If you were going to a brand new lake and it was your first time their where would you head first?
Old 08-17-06, 06:00 PM   #8
onlyculprits
BassFishin.Com Member

Ironman - As I'm sure you already know, our local lakes, ponds and canals are mostly less than 4 feet deep. That plus the long summer days and heat have our water temps pushing the high 80's. I think you'll find that they really only feed when the sun is not on the water. I'd fish before the sun is on the water and, dare I say it, I'd use a 6 inch Culprit and a 64th ounce bullet weight and no more than 8 pound line or 2/10 PowerPro. Overcast, drizzly days are usually good as long as the cloud covers the sun. Typically, 3 to 10 feet from the bank is the feeding zone on our shallow Florida lakes. You might try that borrow pond on the west side of I-95 at your exit. Good luck .

definition of manatee - tree huggers' darling, also an effective speed bump in crowded waters.
onlyculprits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-06, 06:04 PM   #9
ironman

I have tryed that pond it was o.k. I only got 3 bass out of about 15 trip's. Does the line make a difference in catching a fish I thought was just the pound amount of limit it will stand with out breaking.
Old 08-17-06, 06:06 PM   #10
MinnesotaAngler
BassFishin.Com Member

From the June edition of Bassmaster- Summer/Shallow water patterns- "An effective pattern is to concentrate on lush weedbeds growing on flats adjacent to dropoffs. Not only will these hold fish during the day, but deeper bass may be drawn to them during low-light hours. Topwaters and soft plastics are good lures to use, but don't overlook spinnerbaits and buzzbaits fished over submerged grass. A lipless crankbait can be deadly on windy days." Hope that helps.
Old 08-17-06, 06:11 PM   #11
Vabass22

No, the line affect how deep your lure dives, the action, wobble, vibration etc. Fish all around small ponds, and talk to alot of people. Fish dams, point, coves, and cover. Don't always concentrate on cover though. Use chatterbaits, waky rigged senkos, and spinnerbaits in the open. You can also drag a c-rig across the bottom. Use plastics around the cover, along with
j-n-p's.
Vabass22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-06, 08:34 PM   #12
ironman

I can never tell witch lures are j-n-ps and what do do with them.
Old 08-17-06, 09:33 PM   #13
Bender

Jigs - http://www.bassresource.com/fish/jigs.html
The pig part is a trailer stuck on the hook behind it. Not needed but typically used 100% of the time.
As far as the line goes I fish a lot of clear water lakes and I have had a lot more fish on the reel I have spooled up with florocarbon than braid. I don't think that it is a coincidence either. Smaller line and they are less likely to see it also.
Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-06, 09:52 PM   #14
Rebbasser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironman View Post
. Does the line make a difference in catching a fish I thought was just the pound amount of limit it will stand with out breaking.
Yep. Certain lines work better for different applications.

Braid has a real high breaking strength for the size. The higher the test the stronger the line, so for example 50 lb braid has a diameter of 12 lb mono. I use braid for worms, jigs, and C-rigs. Not only is it real sensitive you can throw it in the thick stuff and not worry about getting hung up.

Mono has a lot of stretch, so I prefer it for baits with treble hooks.

Fluorocarbon is invisibe under water, has low stretch and is real abrasion resistant. I like it for weightless plastics like Tiki Sticks.
Old 08-17-06, 09:56 PM   #15
MinnesotaAngler
BassFishin.Com Member

Try the Bass Pro Shops XPS Flourocarbon. They don't sell it in big spools, but it's the best one I've tried. I've also heard lots of good things about it. I think 10lb test is 4lb diameter. It's verrry strong and I mean it. Knot strength is excellent also. I was in the Ozarks and I snagged a BPS medium crank six or seven times and was able to pull it free every time. I'm not talking about little snags, I'm talking about the snags where you have to rip it out of the water full force. It's really good stuff.
Old 08-17-06, 09:56 PM   #16
lizardsrule

ironman,

You said your family has a boat, does it have a depthfinder? If not get one, and if it does, read the manual, and find what the screen will show when baitfish are there. Finding the bait, will find tha Bass.

Lizards
Old 08-18-06, 06:26 AM   #17
ironman

OK thank's for the post's I think I'm going to get a new braided line and new rod and reel and go look at that depth finder manuel.
Old 08-20-06, 11:02 AM   #18
GoneFishN
BassFishin.Com Member

Just remember with braided, it slips. try a double polimar, then with the tag just tie a couple of over hand knots real close to the polimar then clip the tag.
GoneFishN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-06, 11:38 AM   #19
Vabass22

Will you be using a baitcaster, or spinning, because I have heard for many reasons why you shouldn't use braided line with spinning gear. I would get some quality mono, flourocarbon if its a spinning reel imo.
Old 08-22-06, 03:05 PM   #20
lizardsrule

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vabass22 View Post
Will you be using a baitcaster, or spinning, because I have heard for many reasons why you shouldn't use braided line with spinning gear. I would get some quality mono, flourocarbon if its a spinning reel imo.
ROTFLMAO,

I know it wasn't me you heard that from

Lizards
Old 08-22-06, 07:27 PM   #21
ILfishinman

Send a message via AIM to ILfishinman Send a message via MSN to ILfishinman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vabass22 View Post
and what reasons are those? i have braided on both my spinning outfits and have used braided for about a year now and have had no problems with it. tho i shyed away from using it on my baitcaster because its so thin and will dig in easier, resulting in more backlashes. but i think braided is the way to go on spinning gear, beacause there is no memory and it will not "jump off" if you over fill it. and if you are fishing clear water use a mono or flouro leader.
Old 08-22-06, 10:05 PM   #22
Vabass22

Weel, I'm not going to list those reasons now, because I see that most, if not all, of you disagree with me on the subject. I have heard from some of the best fisherman I know, not to use braid on spinning reels.
Old 08-22-06, 10:13 PM   #23
mack

i dont even use braided cause i dont think its neccessary for the ponds i fish..but if i was gonna fish it on either spinning or casting, spinning would be my choice..since powerpro has a diameter of lesser pound test line, like ilfishinman said, i feel i would backlash alot more...
mack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-06, 10:44 PM   #24
ILfishinman

Send a message via AIM to ILfishinman Send a message via MSN to ILfishinman

seriously i want to know why you think it is not suited for use on spinning gear
Old 08-24-06, 10:20 AM   #25
Vabass22

The #1 reason, is that, I have seen people break rods on hooksets with braid, plus it's what the guy at the baitshop told me, and he seems to know alot more about fishing than I do, so I listened to him.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.