Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics

Old 09-27-05, 12:05 PM   #1
KenDammit
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Default "You got bass in these pay lakes!??"

Hey there fellers! Don't know how the whole deal is where you guys are, but here in Kentucky, we have Pay Lakes that are usually just filled with mega catfish. You pay 5-10 bucks, depending on the lake" and if you catch a tag fish, you win money, if not, you paid to catch fish and have fun. Went to a place yesterday morning that has 7 different lakes, varying in sizes, and our plan was to catfish. Started off doing that, but I kept staring at the lake above me, checkin out the cover and such until finally I broke down and HAD to go bass fishing in it. Motivating factors were that my dad told me I couldn't catch a bass there, and I wanted to prove to him they had big bass in those lakes and they weren't just eaten by catfish. So I grabbed a 5'6" LIGHT action pole with 10lb test line..a zebco 33 reel and a Zebco Z-Glass pole to be exact, and went to work.

I go up, and the lake is great..its got a ton of stumps in it, but the weather wasn't all that nice. Drizzling rain constantly, grey skies(the only bonus), and moderately windy. I took a big ole T-2 spinnerbait with a 4.5 colorado on it, white skirt, chartreuse head, and on the 3rd cast through the stumps..WHAM! Oh crap, i'm freakin hung......no...wait.....I'm moving, ohhhhhh da** MY SNAG IS MOVING TO THE LEFT!!! THIS IS A FISH!...finally got the fish in, it was a chunk...good 7lb 4oz fish..my new personal best. I'm pretty lucky to have caught it...the pole had NO hooksetting power whatsoever and neither did the line. I could hardly feel a thing it was so insensitive, but that one catch made my day.

Next time you visit a pay lake, ask them what kind of fish they have in them, and if theres bass, I say you should at least try to catch one or two!
KenDammit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-05, 05:12 PM   #2
Dyas
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Send a message via AIM to Dyas

Got any pics dude!? Thats a great catch!!! Feels good to have a good sized fish on the end of the line dont it. Thats why I bass fish. I seem to be pretty good at getting the big ones. You gonna get it mounted or what?
Old 09-27-05, 06:50 PM   #3
KH.

hey i never use a light action rod when bass fishing,like you said you ant set the hook.
Old 09-27-05, 06:53 PM   #4
Dyas

I use them whein I am weightless fishing a worm and need to get some distance on my cast. But for everything else a Medium or medium heavy
Old 09-27-05, 06:53 PM   #5
454ss

lol Wish i could show my dad up like that wtg man Nice fish
454ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-05, 06:56 PM   #6
Dyas

I showed my dad up once lol. He told me "Son dont even waste your time with that stupid wacky rig. It is just plain stupid" 5 minutes later I had put 2 3lbers in the boat to his 0. He dont second guess it anymore lol...........
Old 09-27-05, 10:12 PM   #7
Rodman_Rob

we got pay lakes.....kinda, if you catch the state or world record bass, you'll get paid
Old 09-28-05, 02:47 AM   #8
KenDammit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dyas
Got any pics dude!? Thats a great catch!!! Feels good to have a good sized fish on the end of the line dont it. Thats why I bass fish. I seem to be pretty good at getting the big ones. You gonna get it mounted or what?
Unfortunately, no....I got called on the spur of the moment, and had only been asleep an hour when the phone rang. Dad asked if I wanted to go and I agreed quickly even though I was half asleep. I had fished all day the day before and was pretty tired. All I grabbed was a catfish pole and my tackle box and was gone in 30 minutes. I kinda got lucky to be able to fish for bass as the first pay lake we went to has only cats, but was closed. Lol, having a big one on the end of THAT LINE was kind of scary, because I didn't know if I'd even be able to get it in. I guess I got kind of lucky that it wasn't too far from the bank when I hooked into her. I don't know if I'll ever have a fish mounted, unless its a pretty monster fish...15+lbs. I'd rather it be caught by someone else...and I didn't have a tape measure or anything with me, just a scale, so no measurements. I guess I'm just not the fish mounting kinda guy
Old 09-28-05, 06:15 AM   #9
Denny_ohio
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default good job

nice catch!!!!!!!!!! Denny
Old 09-28-05, 08:40 AM   #10
H2O
BassFishin.Com Active Member

I think that's the best part of fishing. I mean you totally could not figure out the result. Sometimes, we probably know what we would catch before we throw lure into water.

Any way, just wondering the size about those pay lakes?
H2O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-05, 02:30 PM   #11
KenDammit

uhh, ...they vary in size, I would guess the biggest was maybe, 3-4 acres, the smallest was probably 1-1.5 acres. The lake I was fishing was probably the second smallest...not very deep except for the channel, and shaped like a teardrop.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.