Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Bass Boats, Trailers & Setups

Old 01-03-11, 01:38 PM   #1
thevinmanfxst
BassFishin.Com Member

Question MinnKota i-Pilot for Bass fishing?

Greetings everyone!
I’m looking for some advice and perspectives. I’ve been reading great things about the new MinnKota i-Pilot trolling motors and have some questions and concerns.
I have a small 16ft aluminum bass/john boat. I primarily fish shallows, docks, weed-lines, and sometimes in the thick muck. I’m not a big trolling guy…
For example, I can lift my Motorguide with the pull cable to clear weeds or just skim the surface to get in and out of thick matted weeds or heavy pads. Will a Terrova or Powerdrive be able to suffice in similar situations?
How is the wireless control compared to cable driven in tight quarters? I’ve read that it is not as responsive as cable driven. Also, for all those bass fisherman out there, how much of a change is it to go to using the hand control vs foot control? (Isn’t using the hand remote distracting as it takes at least one hand of the reel?)
I’d love to take advantage of the spotlock and trackback features, but I’m not sure this motor will be up to my style of fishing.
Thanks in advance!
thevinmanfxst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-11, 02:45 PM   #2
carolina-rig-01
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

The only question that I can give an honest first hand answer for is the hand control to a foot control.

I went from a hand control to a foot control and it was a breeze, however I had ran a lot of foot control trolling motors on other guys boats before I made my change. It may take you an hour or so to get the feel for it but man it is really worth it, once you get a foot control you will wonder how you ever did without it.

Bryce (nofear) will probably be able to help you with the ipilot as he is kinda the technology nut on the boards and I know he is kicking around the idea of going to the ipilot himself. You might shoot him a pm and ask him about it if he doesn't see this thread and post on it.

Good luck
Old 01-03-11, 03:07 PM   #3
thevinmanfxst
BassFishin.Com Member

Thanks for the reply. Just to be clear, I'd be going FROM a cable foot control to a wireless hand control (and possibly wireless foot control), such as comes with the iPilot motors.
Old 01-03-11, 03:09 PM   #4
carolina-rig-01

Quote:
Originally Posted by thevinmanfxst View Post
Thanks for the reply. Just to be clear, I'd be going FROM a cable foot control to a wireless hand control (and possibly wireless foot control), such as comes with the iPilot motors.
10-4 Not sure how I missed that lol.
Old 01-19-11, 09:39 PM   #5
rescue.tech
BassFishin.Com Member

Its kinda old but if you havent been told yet. If you get the terrova you dont have to use the hand control all the time. You can still use the foot control.

At least thats what I am going to do when I get mine.

Clint
rescue.tech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-11, 10:38 PM   #6
nofearengineer

The good thing about the Terrova, vs. the PowerDrive v2 is that you can have both the pedal and the key fob working at the same time. The PowerDrive v2, you have to physically make only one of them operable.
Old 01-20-11, 11:37 AM   #7
CamG
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

I bought the Terrova last year, and it is easily the best/easiest trolling motor I've ran. I went with the Terrova over the Power Drive because I was used to the standard cable foot control, and heard that the PD was very touchy. The Terrova foot control has basically the same feel as the old cable control, but you do have to keep an eye on the direction the motor is facing. With a cable control, you know the direction the motor is facing without even looking from the position of the foot control.

The ONLY problem I do have with the Terrova is that it doesn't have a rope deploy/retract. I do miss this when I get into situations like you mentioned (shallow water). I used to just pull up and hold onto the rope to get out of the jam - no I have to physically pick the motor straight up. However, it's not a make or break kind of deal. If you plan ahead, you can stay out of most jams. And, if necessary it still can be done with the Terrova.

I will be getting the i-Pilot this year. But, I don't ever see myself getting rid of the foot control completely. I mainly want it for the track back. I have one lake that I fish where I run an early topwater pattern most everyday. It lies right on the channel ledge. I really have to watch my finder to stay on the spot. With i-Pilot, I'll be able to run it once, and store it. I think the spot lock will also be handy when chasing smallies in rough water. It becomes a pain to try to stay on the fish when the wind is blowing.
CamG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-11, 03:04 PM   #8
thevinmanfxst
BassFishin.Com Member

This is great feedback! I welcome anymore comments for those who have the iPilot.

CamG..my thinking was along the same lines. The trade off seems ok. I really want the track back and spot lock.

Also, I currently have a recessed trolling pedal on my deck. Does anyone have the dimensions of the Terrova foot pedal? (I cant find specs anywhere)
Old 01-20-11, 04:31 PM   #9
CamG

Quote:
Originally Posted by thevinmanfxst View Post
This is great feedback! I welcome anymore comments for those who have the iPilot.

CamG..my thinking was along the same lines. The trade off seems ok. I really want the track back and spot lock.

Also, I currently have a recessed trolling pedal on my deck. Does anyone have the dimensions of the Terrova foot pedal? (I cant find specs anywhere)
13.5" Long x 10" Wide
Old 01-20-11, 05:14 PM   #10
nofearengineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamG View Post
The ONLY problem I do have with the Terrova is that it doesn't have a rope deploy/retract. I do miss this when I get into situations like you mentioned (shallow water). I used to just pull up and hold onto the rope to get out of the jam - no I have to physically pick the motor straight up. However, it's not a make or break kind of deal. If you plan ahead, you can stay out of most jams. And, if necessary it still can be done with the Terrova.

I will be getting the i-Pilot this year. But, I don't ever see myself getting rid of the foot control completely. I mainly want it for the track back. I have one lake that I fish where I run an early topwater pattern most everyday. It lies right on the channel ledge. I really have to watch my finder to stay on the spot. With i-Pilot, I'll be able to run it once, and store it. I think the spot lock will also be handy when chasing smallies in rough water. It becomes a pain to try to stay on the fish when the wind is blowing.
Cam, funny you should mention that. I have an old back surgery I nurse occasionally, so I plan on just getting the 54" or 60" shaft for my bass boat. I really don't care if someone thinks it looks funny. The quicker and easier I can grab it to stow it, the better, I figure. The cool thing is, with the quick release plate, the Terrova sits up a bit higher than my Motorguide, so even though it's longer, it won't interfere with my front port locker the way my MG does.

The pedal with the long cord is going to be fun too. being able to turn the motor from anywhere on the boat, with both the key fob and the pedal will be very flexible.
Old 01-20-11, 05:30 PM   #11
CamG

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofearengineer View Post
Cam, funny you should mention that. I have an old back surgery I nurse occasionally, so I plan on just getting the 54" or 60" shaft for my bass boat. I really don't care if someone thinks it looks funny. The quicker and easier I can grab it to stow it, the better, I figure. The cool thing is, with the quick release plate, the Terrova sits up a bit higher than my Motorguide, so even though it's longer, it won't interfere with my front port locker the way my MG does.

The pedal with the long cord is going to be fun too. being able to turn the motor from anywhere on the boat, with both the key fob and the pedal will be very flexible.
When the water got rough a couple times last year, I went to the middle of the boat and fished just because I could. It actually worked quite well. Wouldn't have been able to do it with the old style TMs.
Old 01-25-11, 05:45 PM   #12
Captmikestarrett
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Both my boats have the long cable and the foot pedal power drive. Heck even my Ganoe has the same setup. The remote was a bit slow to learn but I got the hang of it.

I did paint a line on the shaft to show straight ahead so I could see direction at a glance. Most of my customers block the head of the unit with there bodies as they fish.. But I can always see the shaft position.

My next motor will have all three features Ipilot/remote/ and wired pedal...

I have an AutoPilot on one and it goes bonkers around bridges and high iron ore content creeks. Oh and I would like the motor to chirp or beep everytime I make it thrust. Right now have make the beeping sound myself to warn the customers... and I forget at times ..

Capt Mike

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.