Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Bass Boats, Trailers & Setups

Old 11-13-07, 01:52 PM   #1
Captmikestarrett
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default 2007 Merc Opti DPI 200hp FYI

Sunday I had an issue with the new engine. Started up slow like it was really cold and had a weak battery. But it started and I let it warm up a while. It was only 42 degrees out so it was not that cold. Idled fine out of marina and popped up on plane just fine. Got about 100 yards and a loud clacking sound and total power loss from the engine. Gauges went off but volt gauge stayed on. Looked like a short in the electrical system. Or water in the fuel. Pump blub once or twice and it stops clacking and runs nice. Back up on plane and another 200 yards does the same thing. I shut it off and check everything. Turn key and get just a click. HMM no starter engagement. Check battery connection with a little wiggle of cables and bam it starts right up real fast like. Back up on plane and it does it again. Sheese I have got an issue here.

Flash back to two months earlier and I am washing boat and notice battery tipped over in tray. Righted it and strapped it down.

Yesterday I cleaned the cables and connectors and it started right up. But since I remembered the tipped battery I decided to pull battery and check it out. Two cells empty..

Since the new engines use electric fuel pumps and electric air pumps they need a battery of 800cca minimum and in good condition... And can not use deep cycle either..

BOAT Break Out Another Thousand..

Think next paycheck an Optima Battery will be installed.

Capt Mike
Old 11-13-07, 07:01 PM   #2
zooker
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

optima dawg is the sh!t. you can tip it upside down and not worry about it.. extreme heat or cold does not effect it.. best thing since the eletric starter..

zooker
Old 11-16-07, 09:54 PM   #3
1FASTLASER

While on the subject of the Opti I might warn you about cold water and the Opti's. Please be aware that they HAVE to be warmed up preferably to operating temp before stabbing the throttle on the Opti's or for that matter ANY engine to avoid a coldwater seize. Cylinders in an outboard especially the Merc's with there close tolerances will if not warmed up correctly seize. What happens is the block stays cold and the piston will actually swell to a point if they are not warmed up correctly. It could tear a piston in half or possibly rip it from the rod and worse yet sling it through the block. Dont worry though if you actually take the time in cold water to let the engine sit and idle for a few moments...............at least 5minutes while you park the truck and get ready for a run.

Last edited by 1FASTLASER; 11-16-07 at 09:54 PM. Reason: spelling
1FASTLASER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-07, 10:01 AM   #4
Captmikestarrett

Yea I really let it warm up and replaced the battery but it did not feel right so I never gunned it last trip I had..

I had hooked it up to a hose and tested the new battery in the driveway and it made a tink noise now and then.. The idler pully spring was broken so I replaced it. New one worked good but now it has a squeek noise.. Took it out and like I said it did not feel right so I babyed it 1 mile to fishing spot. And 1 mile back at snails pace. Customers liked not freezing..

Took it to BPS and #6 cyclinder not working. Found a crack in the hull innerlinner from one side to the other also. Boat out of commision for a couple months maybe.. Good thing I never sold my Gambler aka Canyonaro

So tonight I need to start the beast for my last charter of the year. Darn so close..

Capt Mike
Old 12-01-07, 10:41 PM   #5
Captmikestarrett

Mercury pulled the record from the computer and with out delay decided to replace the powerhead no charge..

Should be ready next week.

Capt Mike
Old 12-26-07, 05:06 PM   #6
Captmikestarrett

Default Update

Recall on factory powerheads.. Another month delay..

Might get my new boat back around mid Jan.

While waiting for replacement they shrink wrapped for me no charge..

So far I am not un happy yet..

Capt Mike
Old 12-27-07, 05:43 AM   #7
1FASTLASER

Mikeie.
Sure would like to know what they found out was the reason for dropping the cylinder like it did and why they decided to replace the powerhead. What mechanical part failed??? etc.....etc.... Need to know specifics if you will please?
Old 12-27-07, 01:13 PM   #8
Captmikestarrett

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1FASTLASER View Post
Mikeie.
Sure would like to know what they found out was the reason for dropping the cylinder like it did and why they decided to replace the powerhead. What mechanical part failed??? etc.....etc.... Need to know specifics if you will please?

The number 6 cyclinder valve caught the top of the piston and popped it. According BPS it is why the replacement powerheads where recalled too.

Looks like faulty install/part from Merc. 86 hours and 82 trips and it decided to self destruct.. no abuse showed up in the computer.

So I kept my old Gambler and I am pouring time and money into it to make sure it will provide a back up vessel for my charters.

I get to make the monthly payment and rebuild my old boat..

Capt Mike
Old 12-28-07, 06:50 AM   #9
1FASTLASER

Ouch!! But I dont know if this will make you feel any better or not. There have been more folks that this has happened to and they where people that take as good of care of there boats as you do. For some reason and no one has been able to figure out except that you as well as some of the others know sometimes chit happens. Aparently there was a "bad batch" of reed valves made. No one's fault just mother nature . The material in the reed valves was a little to brittle and some of the motors ingested a reed or valve as most folks call it. Earlier motors and later motors have had no problem so the "bad batch" was centered around your year motor. I thought that was why it dropped the cylinder wasnt fer sure. I have a friend on another board that is in the same predicament/ Cept his is outta warranty. Some that have broke have had only a couple hrs run time and others have serveral hours run time. Under normal operation a reed valve will last basically forever. Under high rpms they are more likely to take a dump but then we are talking hipo motors.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.