Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Bass Boats, Trailers & Setups

Old 12-15-07, 11:46 PM   #1
88CAJUN
BassFishin.Com Member

Default 1988 Cajun Ricky Green Tournament Bassboat

I just painted a guy's boat and he gave me this 1988 cajun boat and I was wondering if anyone knew if this is a good boat to keep and fix the little things that are wrong with it? Its 19 ft long came with a trail boss trailer it has a lifetime transome, it has 2 fish livewells and 1 bait livewell and has 3 swivel seats on a pole and 3 permanant seats. It has a permanant 15 gal gas tank. Any information will be very greatfull
88CAJUN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-07, 08:11 AM   #2
zooker
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

a ricky green ragin cajun..SWEET!!! back in the mid 80's ricky green was one of the best pro anglers around...odds are it has a johnson or rude on it..

now as for finding out info on cajuns..i took this straight from old cajun bass him self-he used to be a member here-

"I see a lot of posts on this board asking about things like owners manuals, wiring diagrams, and such. I suspect most people who come here have never seen a "new" Cajun, on the showroom floor. I've owned two Cajun's both purchased new, an 85, and an 87. I "helped out" at the dealership where I purchased them, mostly because I have no real life, so I hung around the boat shop and fetched coffee, donuts, and wrenches and told good stories.
Well let me tell you boys and girls. Things were different in the old days. Today, when we go to a boat dealer and see a shiny new boat setting on the showroom floor, for the most part that boat was delivered just like you see it. That boat was rigged at the factory, and about the only choice you get is what depth finders you want, and you may not get that.

Back in the 70's and 80's especially, a boat was almost a custom thing. The engine manufactures hadn't started buying up boat manufacturers so all rigging was done at the dealer. A dealer would order a boat from the factory. Some would come on a "factory" trailer, some didn't. If the dealer used an aftermarket trailer, first you had to fit the boat to the trailer. Then the dealer started with a bare hull and mounted EVERYTHING the customer wanted. The bare hull would probably have instruments in the dash, steering installed, and it would be wired for a Trolling Motor. Maybe. If not the dealer had to run that too. The live wells would be plumbed, and the bilge pumps installed. Anything else we had to do ourselves. Hang the gas engine, mount the trolling motors, mount the battery trays, and the batteries, depth finders and any other equipment the customer wanted. If you go back far enough, we even had to mount things like gas tanks. Stuff like cleats and clam-shell covers the little hardware that finishes a boat off came in a cardboard box that was stuffed into the boat somewhere.

That's why you can't usually find anything like a wiring diagram, for older boats. There simply was no "standard". It was usually up to the individual rigger. How he liked to do things, was how things got done. Or up to the dealership.

Good riggers were a big selling point for a dealer. People would actually change brands of boat if a certain rigger left one dealer and went to another. When I went to boat shows, I always looked to see what kind of rigging job the dealer did. Told you a lot about the way he did business. Were the wires bundled up tight and neat or did they run willy nilly every which way? Was the bilge area cleaned out or was it full of sawdust and drill shavings? Did things line up like they'd been measured, or could you tell they'd been "eyeballed"?

So enjoy your "classic" boat. After all these years, I still think that Cajun, especially the "Tournament Series", were the best ........ bass boats ever built. "

think this is your answer...

zooker
Old 12-16-07, 09:05 AM   #3
1FASTLASER
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

The RC edition of the Cajun boat was an awsome boat. Personally I wouldnt mind having one myself. Tough boats and layed out surprisingly well for a boat back then. They handle the water pretty damn well. They where not the fastest boat on the water but with a little set up time they would run with the best of them. I always did enjoy they would hook a turn. They compare to the Champion boat when it comes to hooking a turn.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.