Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 09-20-11, 09:30 PM   #1
gonefishin3
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default Malibou Jigs

Sometimes called feather jigs, hair jigs. Have you guys tried these? With any sucess? How do you fish them? They look pretty cool, slowfalling. Interested in the imput on these things. Thanks!,
GF3
gonefishin3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-11, 09:35 PM   #2
BigBassin144
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

I believe you meant "marabou." "Malibu" is a city in California.

Most of the hair jigs I've seen and used for bass have been made from fur or a synthetic material though, not feathers or marabou.

These are a great spring time lure, that not that many people fish. I do occasionally, but still find myself reaching for a jerkbait in the spring.

BB
Old 09-20-11, 10:29 PM   #3
gonefishin3

marabou ! there ya go :P jerkbaits hard to put down sometimes...
Old 09-21-11, 01:43 AM   #4
Jrob78
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

I want to get some to fish but there aren't too many places to buy them, let alone buy any with good hooks. I'm planning to buy a vice and start trying to tie some for myself. Here's a good read on hair jigs.

http://www.flwoutdoors.com/fishing-a...-love-of-hair/
Old 09-21-11, 06:38 AM   #5
keithdog
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

I used to use marabue jigs a lot at one time. I got wrapped up in other techniques over the years and forgot about them. But they do catch lots of bass. I used a black 1/4 - 1/8 oz size with a 6 inch black Mr Twister lizard, black with yellow spots. For some reason, no one makes that color lizard anymore, even though that is the true color of both the spotted and tiger salamanders which are the most common. Anyways, the marabue lig tipped with a lizard for a trailer is a killer bait fished on 10-12 pound line, especially around deeper edges of weedlines. I watched a friend of mine catch an 8 pounder on that rig.
Old 09-21-11, 08:33 AM   #6
Bryan

I don't know if there's a natural material with better action than marabou.
Bryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-11, 08:42 AM   #7
mrmuskie5

There is a cooling lake a little south of me here in illinois and in the winter we kill the smallies and white bass there on marabou jigs. we fish them on very lite spinning tackle usually counting them down and swimming them back on rock walls and steep banks. Also in muskie fishing we use alot of marabou in our bucktails, Bryan is right not a better natural material out there. The stuff just pulses and undulates like nothing else. One tip i would give is, let the marabou soak in the water for a few miniutes before you start fishing it (it will "move alot better). good luck man.
mrmuskie5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-11, 09:29 AM   #8
gonefishin3

Neat article...I never see them in stores either......... I bet its pretty costly to have them "custom" hand tied I have a vice but where would I get the materials to tie them? I would most likely want green and brown and white jigs but a white jig with a red tint or a blue tint would be neat too... this seems like a technique that produces that hardly anyone uses anymore...
Old 09-22-11, 01:05 PM   #9
PAfisher76
BassFishin.Com Member

gf3 you can buy these products at most fly tying stores or web sites(cabela's,janns netcraft,stamina just to name a few).
PAfisher76 is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.