Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Bass Boats, Trailers & Setups

Old 04-05-12, 12:01 AM   #1
bassboogieman
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Angry Owning a boat is so much fun!

Finally, I drug the Triton out of storage - I knew I had some work to do after last fall. So far I have one bad battery, the 3-bank charger is toast, one recirculator pump is shot (so while it's apart I'm replacing both), the remote plug for the charger has a bad positive terminal (which probably fried the charger) GOOD NEWS IS - not much, other than Cabelas has their AGM battery on sale, so a trip is scheduled for Friday. Just another $500 dumped in the tub just to get ready to fish. Oh the joy of boat ownership. Oh, gasoline just hit $4.00/gallon and I need 50 gallons in the boat....................
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-12, 12:49 AM   #2
Bosshog
BassFishin.Com Member

Yup, Its about $4.50 by me. I just sold my boat...I'm in college now and couldnt even afford to fill her up. So Im guna fish boatless for awhile. Seriously, considering a kayak lol.
Bosshog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-12, 06:25 AM   #3
nobass

boat means hole in water you throw money into
Old 04-05-12, 06:53 AM   #4
keithdog
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

When I read posts like this I don't feel so bad about my simple jonboat.
Old 04-05-12, 07:52 AM   #5
lilmule

While I went fishing yesterday down at secret hole number 178 its a 40 mile drive used some gas in the truck maybe used a whole gallon in the boat,its a large bay chock full of lilly pads every year make a trip to see if they are up and its normally 2=3rd week of april.
Yup they are up,water isnt ,had no rain at all hardly,lake is low ,1 ft above winter pool,so trolled around in 1 1/2 ft to as lil as 1 ft catching bass on frogs,most being short males,but not all.It all costs money,somewhat upon ones choices,me 85 bucks on a battery lasts 4 years,3 bank charger on sale 15 amps-125 dollars been putting that one off myself as have a large charging machine external.
Currently have two bassboats other one im going to get it cleaned up and ready for sale,the second one being a 1990 2002 allison-NCOA legal 150 hp cnc omc L2 gearcase-80 mph one up and yes it has a functioning livewell,that one is costing dollars and not even using it but money well spent as will bring a pretty penny.
BOAT bust out another thousand,that somewhat depends upon what one choices are-Use the troller more -my half a tank of gas(9 gal) will last half a doz trips.
Idle around trying to see structure on a 2,000 dollar 3 d unit costs mucho bucks(mercury verado 1.5 mpg),running at wot costs fair amount running mid range most boats even with 2oo hp get about 5 mpg some more,38-42 mph gets 5+,even older carbed motors,my old allison over 7mpg with a lightly moded motor,5 at wot but its an allison -hull design,lil hydrosport yamaha get 5 avg. out of a carbed 1989 2.6 L 150

Last edited by lilmule; 04-05-12 at 08:07 AM.
lilmule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-12, 10:41 AM   #6
Ranger Guy
BassFishin.Com Member

Contact Dual Pro. They have reconditioned chargers usually about half price then a new one and they have 90% all new components inside with a warranty. I purchased one 2 years ago and its looks & runs just like brand new but was about 120.00 less. I have had several dealings with the chargers and the company and I give them a very high rating. The first Dual Pro charger in the boat lasted 10 years.

As far as batteries go I always purchase the DuraLast batteries at AutoZone. I've used Interstate, Deka and others but those have not let me down. They also have a 2 year free replacement warranty and they can be exchanged at any AutoZone so if you arent in your local area you can still get a replacement. I think the last ones I purchased were around 80-85 dollars. The ones I have in the boat are almost 4 years old and I use my boat probably around 50 to 65 or so days a year.

The biggest thing with a boat is no different then with a vehicle, motorcycle or your lawn mower for that matter: Whenever something breaks fix it immediately with new quality parts. If you try to only buy the cheapest materials out there, well thats what you'll get. The cheapest is usually never the best or the longest lasting out there. It hurst more up front but is always cheaper in the long run. Knock on wood, besides fuel I haven't did anything to my boat in about 2 years but I do stay on top of my maintenance. Also keeping your batteries always up to a full charge will make them last years longer then only charging them when you need to use them.

Good Luck and have a great fishing season!

Last edited by Ranger Guy; 04-05-12 at 10:59 AM.
Ranger Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-12, 01:00 PM   #7
BlueDaksi
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithdog View Post
When I read posts like this I don't feel so bad about my simple jonboat.
When I read this, it makes me all the more happier to be primarily a kayak angler. That's not to say that I turn down friends who invite me out to fish on THEIR boats.
Old 04-05-12, 02:36 PM   #8
bassboogieman

HA, I'm just LMFAO, checked all my pumps and all are ok except the one recirculator that I already knew was bad. BUT, after charging all my t/ batteries, the other two are shot. One is putting out 5.6V and the other only 6.1. So I now need to replace all 3 t/m batteries. I just crossed $1000 and haven't wet a line. Still not as bad as last year - new alum trailer $4000 and I CHOSE to replace my electronics another $3000. Watch the classified, it may just be for sale after Dale, but probably not - I'd never begin to recover my investment of the last couple years.
Old 04-05-12, 02:50 PM   #9
nofearengineer
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

That sucks, Bruce.

Your batteries are only as good as your charging system. If it goes bad, it's probably going to take all your batteries with it, no matter how high quality they were.

I still check my voltages once a week while in hibernation, just in case.
Old 04-05-12, 04:15 PM   #10
gysgthard
BassFishin.Com Member

Sounds like the battery peopel are the ons making money thi year. Had to go get a battery for the boat get mine at wal-mart great battseries.
gysgthard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-12, 08:30 AM   #11
champman

Nofear hit the nail right on the head, buy quality parts and have your boat serviced at a good, not an "ok" but good service center. I found out the hard way that there is no more "do it your self" with these high tech boats and engines. As far as batteries go, I have had nothing but great performance and long life out of wal-mart batteries. I always charge them ASAP after use and keep the levels full with distilled water ONLY! My last set lasted six years, and I fish on a trolling motor only lake near the house most of the time. Take care of your equipment and it will serve you well.
champman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-12, 09:54 AM   #12
bassboogieman

As to the batteries, buying 3 AGM's is not cheap but they had no need to hang their head in shame. 2 of the 3 came out of my old boat when I sold it (they were only a year old) and the 3rd was purchased when I bought my currentt boat. They would have been on their 5th season and 4th season respectfully.

I do believe the charger had a lot to do with killing the batteries - as I put it in storage and don't check the darn thing weekly as NFE suggested, probalby should, but I don't. They were nearing the end of their life cycle, they just got pushed along to their demise.

Everyone has their preferences, but I'll never (did I say never?) buy a wet cell battery again. I had them and the maintence of them is more than I can deal with. Checking the water level in or adding water to a wet cell is problematic for me due to the configuration of the four batteries in the rear compartment. 3 of the four sit back under the boat cap - that makes 3 (or half) of the cells unreachable to see in the cells to check water level or fill to proper level - without unsecuring them and pulling them out and to pull out 2 of the t/m batteries I have to remove the 3rd. Same deal with the cranking battery, it sits halfway under the boat cap on the starboard side.

AGM's require no maintence - other than charging - so that solved a huge problem for me. I know wet cells with proper maintence can last several years but I didn't have any last very long because I did not due the proper check/fill of the batterries often enough. Up until now, I've had very good luck with the AGM's. They charge fast, hold a charge better than any wet cell I've ever used, and I've had them last 5 seasons - never (there I said it again) got more than 2 years from a wet cell - that is MY fault - but my problems with them cannot be resolved due to the problem of getting to them easily to check/fill them. Hot weather and constant charging also hastens evaportaion in the wet cell. They are just too much trouble for me.

If your batteries are accessible and you don't mind and REMEMBER to check them often, they are a much more economical choice. It's a matter of paying for the convienience of not have to do battery checks. So, yes, you can kick me square in the butt for complaining (I prefer venting) because it was my choice to use the more expensive AGM's.

As for the charger - again I should not be complaining as it was original to the boat which has been through 12 seasons. The point made above as to having the boat serviced by a "professional" - I TOTALLY agree, when it comes to the outboard. I don't do outboard repair. Winterization - that I can do, anything else it's off to the boat center. Changing pumps, insalling electronics, some trolling motor repairs I can and have done, no problems there. I also agree with "buying quality" (I believe the Cabela AGM's are) so I bought a good charger - A Minn Kota MK330D, it's a big sucker and will take up more romm than the old Dual Pro. The new chargers are much more advanced than the one that died on me. This is a 3 bank 30A and is longer, wider and not as high as the old one, It will be a tight fit in the rear compartment. I have a seperate single bank Guest charger that handles the cranking battery.

So I thank everyone for their kind concerns and advice. I was just venting - having multiple issues and each one being rather expensive on it's own was frustrating. Not to mention that it has delayed me in getting the boat on the water. It's just about ready now and soon this issue will be forgotten. Well, maybe not until after next month when the credit card bill comes in. BUT, I used my Cabelas reward card - now what am I going to use those points for?

Last edited by bassboogieman; 04-08-12 at 10:02 AM.
Old 04-08-12, 08:54 PM   #13
F16 1UB

Default Not Mine

Quote:
Originally Posted by champman View Post
Nofear hit the nail right on the head, buy quality parts and have your boat serviced at a good, not an "ok" but good service center. I found out the hard way that there is no more "do it your self" with these high tech boats and engines. As far as batteries go, I have had nothing but great performance and long life out of wal-mart batteries. I always charge them ASAP after use and keep the levels full with distilled water ONLY! My last set lasted six years, and I fish on a trolling motor only lake near the house most of the time. Take care of your equipment and it will serve you well.
I've been buying Everstart Batteries forever. 3rd pair of trolling motor bats in this boat. Never had any fail me until this year. I noticed my 3 bank charger showing 2 bats charged...1 not after being on all night. Went to Wal Mart. They checked battery in question and test revealed dead cell. Changed battery out for free. 10 Days later instant replay on other trolling motor battery. Same results after test and replaced for free. Both Everstart Batteries (27 series) were purchased Feb 2011. Both batteries died within 10 days of each other and lasted less than 12 months. There's no hi tech trivia involved with batteries. Make sure they have water and charge after each use. I will continue to support Everstart because they are an FLW sponsor. I was surprised they BOTH failed within 10 days of each other. No issues with replacements. I'm out 2-3 times a week.
F16 1UB is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.