Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Bass Boats, Trailers & Setups

Old 08-17-11, 10:27 AM   #1
Bubba_Bruiser
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Send a message via MSN to Bubba_Bruiser
Default Ways to tell transom damage?

I have just about narrowed down 3 boats to look at when I get home. One that is new year the house is an 06 Stratos 294 XL with a Yamaha 200 VMac HPDI. I have been talking to the guy though and asked him about maintenance and everything. He said:
"I don’t know the hours. The motor was just checked out from top to bottom about 3 months ago. I hit something when I was taking off down on the Pearl River and messed up the lower unit, so it has a brand new lower unit (gears, housing, shaft, prop) on it, and at that time it was serviced and completely checked out."

http://hattiesburg.craigslist.org/boa/2535862120.html

Would you be worried about transom damage, sounds like he took a good lick to something. Other than checking for cracks in the gel coat, what else could I be looking for?

This one is in the running with a 04 Bass Cat Cougar & and an 07 Sabre on BBC. If they don't sell before I get home.

I don't know what I did to change my font like it did?
Old 08-17-11, 11:34 AM   #2
Top Tiger
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Check around the engine mounting bolt holes for stress cracks. Also pay close attention to the fiberglass tabs and the joint where the transom joins the hull. Be sure to check these items from the inside.
Top Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-11, 11:44 AM   #3
Bubba_Bruiser

Will do thanks. I am suppose to go look at it next friday so I am trying to make a list of things to check.
Old 08-17-11, 12:04 PM   #4
Top Tiger
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Good luck with it. That is a sweet looking rig.
Top Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-11, 06:21 PM   #5
nobass

well the guy i being honest with you i would look at gel coat on trannson inside and out. if it is real clean on inside i would really think there was some damage. if he had work on the transom the gel coat or finish will be much shinner than rest of boat. as far as hours your mech can check that for you, also there will be excessive vibertation if anynthing is wrong with lower unit or transom. hope you get a great deal on what ever you buy and many years of use.
Old 08-17-11, 06:24 PM   #6
bamabassman
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

here is what i was told about checking the transom. grab the foot of the motor, lift it up and down and see if it shakes much. oyu "should" be able to tell if there is any "give".
Old 08-17-11, 11:32 PM   #7
Bender

After thinking about this some more, I bet he just bent the prop shaft which is pretty common when you hit something. Insurance was probably paying so they just replaced it all. Unless he really whacked something at speed I would think it should be O.K.

A buddy of mine was riding in a 201 a few years ago and the driver was a pro staffer for the marina, which was located right across the street from the lake they were fishing. It was time to get back for weigh-in and he took off. They were going around 60 when he hit a well known rock bar in the middle of the lake. It literally ripped the bottom of the motor off! Luckily they coasted to shore without hitting any other boats. I think that in that case the transom O.K., just needed a bit of work on the lower unit after they picked up the pieces that they could find.

BTW, there is another marina right on that 300 acre lake and I wouldn't be surprised if they remove any markers the locals put on those rocks because they get a ton of business from people hitting them. I'm not sure though because boat dealers wouldn't be unethical would they?
Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-11, 01:58 AM   #8
Bubba_Bruiser

Chris, you pretty much nailed what he sent me back on it. He said when he went to take off and hit what he thinks was a piece of rebar or steel, on the boat ramp. He said damaged 1 prop tab and bent the shaft. He said the marina mechs talked to the insurance company and they just ended up sending a whole new lower unit and bolted it on.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.