Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Bass Boats, Trailers & Setups

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 08-27-12, 11:01 AM   #1
toppwatr
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default Bass Tracker??

I am going to be selling my 1962 boston whaler. I am looking to buy a boat that will better suit me for bass fishing on my home lake and river. But i have some questions for anyone who has a tracker.

1.) Can I use it in saltwater, like once or twice a year in the bay for a day?

As long as a flush out the motor and wash the boat down after?

2.) Does the carpet smell after a fish flops around on it? Are there any downsides to the carpet? Is it hard to keep clean?

3.) Is a bass tracker durable? Will the aluminum frame dent easily?

And this is looking at the basic pro 165 2012 model.

Thanks guys.
toppwatr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-12, 12:06 PM   #2
66KingFisher
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

I don't live anywhere near saltwater so I can't comment on that, but we do have a 2010 Tracker Pro16 and we fish around alot of rocks and tree stumps and we've never had an issue with damaging the boat....Yet.....lol. I caught a big gar last summer that bleed like a stuck hog all over the carpet, but we hosed it down with water when we got home and we've never had any smell issues. We really like our little Tracker and haven't really found any issues with it other then being lightweight aluminum which means you'll be fighting the wind more then a heavy glass boat, but otherwise they are nice rigs.
Old 08-27-12, 12:16 PM   #3
bassboogieman

Quote:
And this is looking at the basic pro 165 2012 model
With the size of the boat you're looking at:

Quote:
Can I use it in saltwater, like once or twice a year in the bay for a day?
POSSIBLY! Near shore and calm weather. I did use a 17' alum boat in Del. Bay (similiar to the Tracker 17' Pro Guide) but with the high sides. The bass style alum. boat with the low sides and being pretty narrow would not be too difficult to overturn in anything but calm water. Getting caught sideways or not balanced well, a wave could flip you before you could correct. I almost did that in the Chesapeake with my first 16' alum. and never went back until I had a better suited craft. Should you use it in saltwater, hit a carwash and wash it on the way home, don't let it dry. Salt deposits in the carpet will case it to wear quicker, and be sure to hit the trailer, if you can flush inside the trailer rails do that also, those tube & box channel trailers will rust out from the inside and you won't know it until it breaks. Using an ungalvanized trailer in saltwater with shorten it's life considerably without a lot of attention. I you plan on a few trips a year to salt or brackish water, consider a galvanized trailer upgrade.

Quote:
Does the carpet smell after a fish flops around on it? Are there any downsides to the carpet? Is it hard to keep clean?
A fish flopping around on the carpet won't make it smell, but will remove the protective slime on the fish should you intend to release it. Downside - it does wear out, but it takes years. Cleaning is easy, either at a car wash or at home. Vacuum it occasionaly and scrub it when needed with a carper cleaning solution and a brush or take it to a power car wash, just rinse well.

Quote:
Is a bass tracker durable? Will the aluminum frame dent easily?
Frame is as good as any alum. boat, the hull will dent should you hit a rock. Bumping a rock (gently) won't produce dents, but you'll probably accumulate a few over the years fishing the Del. River around Easton. I've been there, and it has some shallow rocky stretches.

One thing with Tracker - the are notorious for underpowering their boats in the standard packages, both the outboard and the trolling motor. Whichever Tracker you decide on, consider upgrading each at least to the next size up - especially if you will be dealing with current. The other consideration (knowing the Del. River around Easton) would be a jet motor because of the shallow rocky stretches of river near there. Should you consider a jet, go up in HP to the upper maximum range of the boats rating, they don't seem too propell a boat in quite the same way as a prop - a longer response time when changing speed or direction - at least that's what i thought when fishing the Easton area of the Del. River in a jet powered G3, 17' of a friend.

Good luck!!

Last edited by bassboogieman; 08-27-12 at 12:24 PM.
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-12, 01:37 PM   #4
toppwatr

Thanks 66king, i too think they are beautiful rigs. And BBM i have fished around easton and know what you mean....i guess it would just take care, but any other boat will dent up too in those waters i would presume. And unfortunately i can't upgrade my motor because my home and favorite lake, lake nockamixon, only allows a maximum of 20 horse. Ever fish it?
Old 08-27-12, 01:44 PM   #5
bassboogieman

I've fished Nock, a couple times. Won't bother taking my boat there, due to the HP restriction. It's a big lake to fish on a trolling motor, but I may try it again in my kayak.
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-12, 02:39 PM   #6
MO_CPA

Hey toppwatr, BB is making some great points. I have a 2011 ProTeam 175 with a 60hp on it. The 60 does great...for an aluminum (38-40 top speed), however, they have been known to put a 50 or even a 40 on this boat. I would go up to the 75 before I would EVER go down. I think it would compromise the performance of the boat in a way that I would not be satisfied.

Haven't had any problems with the carpet or durability (given I have only had it a year). Just a few things that you will have with any boat I suppose...have to "reprime" the livewell from time to time...which entails starting the outboard and putting it in reverse. I've been happy with mine and it was at a price point that I could do a lot of fishing without breaking the bank.

I had a Poloar Kraft, 2004 model, that was the 160FF. Had a 40 yammy on it and it did well...even though that 2 stroke was a pain in the *** to start. I know what you are saying and you are going with the 20 b/c of a hp restriction...but I am not sure I would've been happy with that motor on my 16 footer....especially on Table Rock (the lake I fish the most). Just my two cents. Hope you can find one you love and get some use out of it.
Old 08-27-12, 02:55 PM   #7
toppwatr

Thanks CPA, I appreciate your input. I too would love to find the perfect boat. And BBM I have a yak too, i hit the lake about once or twice a week in it, let me know if ya ever wanna head out.
Old 09-04-12, 04:02 PM   #8
Dogmatic
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Remember topp, a lot of guys "upcarb" their motors for The Nock, and many(like me and my bro) have "rebadged" larger motors...just a thought.
Dogmatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-12, 04:03 PM   #9
Dogmatic
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

...don't know how the original post got posted twice, but thanks to edit, I can add that my buddy has a Tracker and is very happy. I have heard some rumors about leaking, but rumors are it. There are a lot for sale in our area, but it's tough finding that 20 hp. That's why the options mentioned above are pretty good solutions, or you could buy another motor, maybe an upcarbed 9.9, just for The Nock, and save the larger motor for the river, or bay.

Last edited by Dogmatic; 09-04-12 at 04:40 PM.
Dogmatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-12, 07:26 PM   #10
Highhawk1948
BassFishin.Com Member

Just get plenty of pounds of thrust with you trolling motor for windy days. You will like the Tracker.
Highhawk1948 is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.