Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 04-04-07, 09:28 PM   #26
links_man2
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Guess I am lucky to be here in Texas where our Wildlife Dept seems to be managing the resource better. I am 61 and for sure bass are as plentiful or more plentiful and they are much bigger than they were 20-30 years ago. But I am not a biologist, most fishermen aren't, that is why I go with the regulations/laws the TPWD put out and don't attempt to be a biologist. If they say I need to use barbless hooks I will, if they say don't keep any bass to eat I won't ---- until then I will do as I please as long as I am following the laws and regulations of this state---and sorry but NOBODY better tell me I am wrong. JMHO
links_man2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-07, 01:06 AM   #27
senko
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by commanche View Post
problem is how far do you go and how do you regulate it..

lets talk deer here,same therory as some of you said..

pgc said too many deer here in pa.so they had hunters kill doe off..we used to have 15 deer per mile now 3 per mile and a lot of miles without deer..

is hunting better, no,is forest better ,no..are deer that are left better, i dont see difference..

back to bass, i agree if you have like someone said 1 million`bass in lake,wow, thats something else..

i can only say our bass fishing here in pa. has got worst than 15 years ago..if you read my post you can see what we weight in now vrs 15 years ago in our tournaments..

dont say its TOO MANY LITTLE BASS,we dont have that problem..

our problem is too many bass are being killed to eat ,to mount, bad hooked,..
i guess yoiu are just going to have to move or something and as zook likes to say: 'nuff said
Old 04-05-07, 01:07 AM   #28
senko

lol im just kiddin i can see where you are comin from
Old 04-05-07, 08:27 AM   #29
mont_lunker_hunter

Sounds like ur state agency is failing you. Like links_man said, here in the south they've done a great job. I'm no scientist, but the fact that fish are dyin from hook injuries may mean the population is weak, too weak to even heal from a hook set. Going back to ur deer example, overpopulation or week foraging habitat is what helped the CWD get so out of hand...maybe fish can be the same way. I just can't help but feel that there is more to the story than just barbs.
mont_lunker_hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-07, 03:48 PM   #30
commanche

i dont want to get off topic too much..pa never was great bass state,water to cool..susquehanna river we used to catch a lot of big bass,it had that 18 inch size on it..they took it off and now you catch only 12 inch fish..

roland martin was at our raystown lake years ago when i fished tournament..

he cried the whole time that this lake did not have any good bass..he never returned..did poorly..

so, you can see things are not great here ..

i agree, if you have to many small bass,has to be reason and from what i see,its keeping bigger bass and not letting bass grow up..

lake arthur they have the BIG BASS REGS on it now, i here they are catching some real nice bass there..

big bass regs HAVE caused a bigger bass to be caught..sadly, most of lakes dont have it here in pa..
commanche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-07, 06:51 PM   #31
zooker
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by senko View Post
as zook likes to say: 'nuff said
hmm i like senko's sense of taste..

i would start lobbying your state dnr commision to re-instate the 18" or jump the currant 12" limit up to 14"...

err nuff said..
zooker
Old 04-07-07, 10:44 AM   #32
3dkicker
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Here is an interesting article by the PFBC on the subject of mortality in PA waters. "Both tournament and non-tournament catch-andrelease losses were estimated to total 58 percent of the fishing-related mortality in the lake." My only problem with this is the word estimated. This is not a scientific study and does not provide actual statistics to back up their statements. As a matter of fact they only reference one study done on one body of water.
http://www.fish.state.pa.us/images/f..._mortality.pdf
Old 04-07-07, 10:49 AM   #33
JB
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Most of our tourneys in ohio have a big pontoon boat with aeriated tanks on them to put the bass in once weighed at the end of the day, then the pontoon goes out to the middle of the lake and releases them..I have noticed a higher death rate on the bass when we are fishing the ohio river creeks more than anywhere else...they almost always just release the bass back in the creek that the tourney was held.
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-07, 12:13 PM   #34
commanche

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3dkicker View Post
Here is an interesting article by the PFBC on the subject of mortality in PA waters. "Both tournament and non-tournament catch-andrelease losses were estimated to total 58 percent of the fishing-related mortality in the lake." My only problem with this is the word estimated. This is not a scientific study and does not provide actual statistics to back up their statements. As a matter of fact they only reference one study done on one body of water.
http://www.fish.state.pa.us/images/f..._mortality.pdf
i was involved in that test at SAYERS DAM..here is my opinion..

first, hooking is no.1 reason they die..on average,we have about 12 of us in tournament in our club..usually we have 1 or 2 dead bass..so, i asked what they were using..usually its a tube,worm,lizard,plastic craw..those 4..
it seems if bass is hooked deep,even with taking hook out,some die..i feel its because weight of bass is in that deep area and not on the lip,so,it puts stress on his lower stomach area..

leaving hooks in ,todays hooks dont rust out very good but may be best thing if you have BARB on and is below tongue,bass bleed a lot from tongue..

next, most turn their livewells off or have switch that turns them on and off on timer..running air steady saves bass..

fishing in hot part of day kills bass..weight ins are usually at 1 pm or 2pm..in july, thats 90 deg weather..livewells get pumping in hot surface water..

next, most of us release our bass at boat docks..that water is real HOT..taking bass back out in boat to shady area or where current is flowing and releasing would save bass..

most of us dont hook bass deep but MOST do..i see anglers with carolina rigs not even know they had bass on and they are deeply hooked..i see others using minnows, they sit there and let bass take minnow for 5 minutes, i see it all time..most of these fisherman keep bass anyhow..

to sum it up without going into more info we had,here is most..

deep hooked, water temps/air in livewells/fish landing on hot boat floor or you could say,HANDLING/releasing bass at boat dock in WARM water all have shown that they do a bass in..

we dont see this all time, we go home after releasing bass and then day later,this happens..

solution as we all know is a lot of little things,
no deep hooked..
barbs down if you use 4 above in a non-tournament or fun fishing..
dont bring bass out of water,unhook in water,especially in hot weather..
dont release bass at boat docks,water is too warm...
dont play bass to long,to boat and unhook..

we have most of our tournaments early and quit early..
i am trying to get us to release our bass at time caught,weight it at boat and release it while fishing..
no need to put it in livewell,bag, then run to boat dock and release it..

where money is involved etc..i dont see that happening but local club tournaments,i do..

most of us know all this, i have to thank PFBC for taking time at SAYERS DAM to help save more bass ..

hope this info does not offend anyone and please offer your opinions, agree or not agree and i will pass them on to PFBC..thanks..
Old 04-07-07, 07:19 PM   #35
InEccess

Send a message via ICQ to InEccess

That's kinda funny. The last PABASS meeting a representitive of the organization doing the fish census stated that, since we've put restrictions on bass ("Trophy Season" as well the offseason while they're spawning), there have been no noticable increases in Bass size or quantity. There was talk of them completely removing the big bass limit, as well as eliminating the off season for bass fishing as early as by next year. That, and the size limit of transporting bass from the Upper Allegheny river to the Lower Allegheny river via Loche 3 power dam.
Old 04-07-07, 11:09 PM   #36
commanche

i was totally against keeping bass thru ice here in pa. in winter..it used to be you had to release a bass in winter..

i heard 7 big bass were removed from a small lake i fish here in pa..ice fishing is hurting also,i still cant believe the bass clubs left this happen..

its all about increaseing licenses not the bass..
Old 04-07-07, 11:24 PM   #37
BassMoJo

Send a message via AIM to BassMoJo

Commanche, I fish in pa alot seeing I live on the mason dixion line...in pa i fish raystown ...long arm ...and lake marburg and often catch nice 3-6lb bass which u know is really nice down here! and as far as barbs go i keep mine on I have never knowingly killed a bass
BassMoJo is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.