Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 09-20-08, 06:03 PM   #1
cassidyta
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default At the pool

Warning....PETA/Reptile lovers will be offended at this

My Friday evening was pretty much like most of them throughout the summer. After dinner, the kids wanted to go swimming so I went to change into my suit and grab a towel. Next think I knew, my wife was screaming her head off in a tone that was obviously one of fear. My first thought was that my daughter must have jumped in and got hurt. I ran out the back door to see my wife holding my daughter while shaking. (BTW, when attempting to exit a sliding glass door, it is important to open enough to fit through.) So after banging the daylights out of my shoulder on the first attempt, I was out back.
I wasn't too sure what was going on, but my son was the one who said snake. I could see the little guy (maybe 8 inches long swimming around the deep end). Then my heart jumped because I figured someone had gotten bitten. Nope, all of the commotion was over a small garden snake swimming around the water. Once I realized that there was no real danger I found the situation funny. Believe it or not, my bride did not share in my sense of humor at this. Well, once I stopped laughing, I figured I should get the snake out of the pool. It turned out to be a quite simple task as I had my son use the cleaning skimmer to send the snake my way. I lowered a 5 gallon bucket and the fella swam right in.
I had figured I would let this guy go a couple of miles from us in the woods. As I drove over to the park, I passed by the pond I usually fish on the weekend mornings. I am sure most of you can figure out where this is heading.
I used a size 8 mosquito hook and hooked him about 3 inches beneath the head. Since I am no expert on the tensil strength of a snakes skin, I figured casting wasn't the best plan, so I pitched him about 6 feet and then let him swim out the rest of the line. Luckily for me, he headed straight towards the tullies. I expected to see a blow up on him, but I counted 7 of them before he finally went under. I ended up with a 4 lbs largemouth.
I am not making plans to actively hunt snakes for bait, but if another one makes it into the pool, then I am pretty sure what I will do with it.
Old 09-20-08, 06:27 PM   #2
Fishnngolfn

Nice. I totally understand what you went through. My wife is terrified of snakes as well. I am with you. I would have been laughing as well but I would have probably tried to show the lady up close after catching it.

I am trying to figure out a way to catch the frogs around my house and keep them in an aquarium without the wife and little girl finding out. Because they would know exactly what I would use them for. The toads don't work too well but the tree frogs are excellent.
Fishnngolfn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-08, 04:00 PM   #3
bamabassman
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

COOL AS HADES!!!! used to use green snakes ALL the time as a youngster.
bamabassman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-08, 10:46 PM   #4
Jim80

nice touch cassidya would have done the same myself .

Jim
Old 09-24-08, 11:39 AM   #5
Rodman_Rob

reminds me of the time I caught a HUGE bullfrog on a zoom lizard. was fishing some serious slop (looked like you could walk on the water) when what I thought was a small bass hit my lizard, missed the first hookset and pitched it back out there, hooked up on the 2nd attempt only to find out it was the bullfrog. reeled it in and saw it hooked nicely threw the top lip. so you guessed it, threw it right back out there, except I don't think the big 'ole bass were hungry at the time.
Old 09-25-08, 03:33 PM   #6
Jim80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodman_Rob View Post
reminds me of the time I caught a HUGE bullfrog on a zoom lizard. was fishing some serious slop (looked like you could walk on the water) when what I thought was a small bass hit my lizard, missed the first hookset and pitched it back out there, hooked up on the 2nd attempt only to find out it was the bullfrog. reeled it in and saw it hooked nicely threw the top lip. so you guessed it, threw it right back out there, except I don't think the big 'ole bass were hungry at the time.
My brother had that happen shocked him to say the least

Jim
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00740.jpg
Views:	537
Size:	484.7 KB
ID:	2674  
Old 09-25-08, 06:31 PM   #7
bamabassman
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

now THAT is soooo cool!!!!
bamabassman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-08, 07:23 PM   #8
woody

Wish I could have been there to see that!!!
Thanks for sharin!!!

woody
woody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-08, 09:21 PM   #9
Rodman_Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim80 View Post
My brother had that happen shocked him to say the least

Jim
awsome, looks to be about the same size, and I just so happened to be using a red hook as well, too funny.
Old 09-25-08, 10:44 PM   #10
Jim80

funny how stuff work out like that

Jim

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.