Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 12-02-08, 11:33 PM   #1
wareagledc
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default before i waste any more money

alright i wasted money on pline and don't want to do it again so how about 50# power pro. and is the red less visible underwater or green.
wareagledc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-08, 11:39 PM   #2
Fishnngolfn
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

I use a leader when using braid so visibility is not an issue. 50# is pretty stout. Is there a reason you want 50#? Frogfishing maybe?

But to answer your question, yes power pro is very good and it is not a waste of money. When I use braid for the little cranking I do, I use the moss green. I fish it fast so once again, line visibility is not that big of an issue (at least for me).
Fishnngolfn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-08, 11:39 PM   #3
Rebbasser
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

WE, I've been using 50 lb Powerpro-green-for years. Only braid I use.
Old 12-02-08, 11:41 PM   #4
EastTexas
BassFishin.Com Member

Green around the weeds - use a clear mono leader.

Go back to mono the clear choice
EastTexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-08, 12:07 AM   #5
wareagledc

i only have two setups one is a revo s with a 6'6 mh rod i use for topwater and burning spinner baits i use a 7'0 diawa medium rod with a shimmano spinning reel for worms and cranks. i just started using jigs and found the medium action rod was not stiff enough for the jigs so i am using the baitcaster and trying to figure out what line to use during the winter for slow worked lures like jigs.
Old 12-03-08, 12:10 AM   #6
Rebbasser

I'd use braid-winter bites can be real light, and the braid helps you feel them. No problem using a leader either.
Old 12-03-08, 03:10 AM   #7
wareagledc

Go back to mono the clear choice [/quote]
amen to going back to mono i put 12# cajun line on and it works alot better. i have not bought any power pro yet still trying to decide on green or red.
Old 12-03-08, 07:59 AM   #8
JB

I'll be going into my 4th year this next season with same spooled on power pro, no leader, no problems.

I kept it on my flipping stick, and have tried it on all my rods, but stick to mono on the other 6 setups.
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-08, 08:49 AM   #9
woody

If visibility is an issue then I would tie on a Flourocarbon leader using an Albright knot.

Personally I would choose the red braid, reason being it is easier on my eyes when I'm watching my line for those subtle winter bites.
woody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-08, 07:41 PM   #10
Joel
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

90% of my fishing is with Braid. 10 & 15 lb test Power Pro for spinning setups with a 8 or 10 lb clear mono leader, tied with a Albright knot. Backing (10lb Ande Mono) is approx 1/3 of the spool so a single 150 yard spool of PP does two reels. My baitcasters are all 30 lb Sufix Braid except for my jiggin' setup which is 50 lb Sufix Braid. Backing again is 10 lb Ande's mono. I use a 17 lb mono leader on my jigging stick only if I'm working my jig on the bottom where there is wood, rock, etc. In and around weeds I don't bother with a leader. My cranking and spinnerbait setup uses a 12 lb mono leader. Contrary to popular opinion I still use 30 lb Sufix Braid on my C-Rig setup, but I use Mono once again as my leader which varies from 3- 5 ft or so. As for line color, I use Moss Green. It's hard to really line watch as the color blends in quite nicely with the slightly stained to stained waters we have on the NYC reservoirs. If you want to line watch, then go with the optical yellow or red. As long as you use a leader, don't worry about the fish being line shy, they aren't in my neck of the woods.
Joel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-08, 07:45 PM   #11
Rebbasser

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB View Post
I'll be going into my 4th year this next season with same spooled on power pro, no leader, no problems.

I kept it on my flipping stick, and have tried it on all my rods, but stick to mono on the other 6 setups.
Forgot about that one-Like JB, I've had a few reels spooled with the same Powerpro for a few years. Still going strong.
Old 12-03-08, 07:49 PM   #12
chubs

Go with green!
chubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-08, 08:42 PM   #13
bamabassman

wareagle...i use the cajun red 12 pound line my self. and i use the power pro 30 pound on 2 other rods. i love both.
bamabassman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-08, 10:50 PM   #14
Jim80

Wareagle powerpro is my braid of choice as well if visibility is an issue get the red and tie a leader on you can use mono but I prefer 4 to 6 feet of seaguar fluorocarbon 20lb , if you are fishing in heavy cover and slop no need for a leader the only time I use one is in opener water when fishing a jig .

Jim
Old 12-03-08, 11:34 PM   #15
InEccess

Send a message via ICQ to InEccess

I use Suffix on MOST of my rods, and Berkley 100% Fluorocarbon on my others. I switched away from PowerPro this past year and I feel that's the main reason for this years preformance in my club (from 16th overall finish last year to 2nd overall this year as well as qualifying for my states BASS classic and finishing 19th overall and missing lunker by 2hundredths of a pound, all as a co-angler).
Old 12-04-08, 12:14 AM   #16
keithdog

I love Power Pro braid for certain applications, such as froging, flipping heavy cover and such. I usually use green 30 - 40 pound. I like 30, because of it's very thin diameter which makes it harder for the fish to see, yet is plenty strong enough for any bass I'm going to come into contact with up here in Indiana.
keithdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-08, 07:46 AM   #17
Lancer6

Quote:
Originally Posted by wareagledc View Post
alright i wasted money on pline .
Given that there are a lot of great P-Line products, if you'd chosen the right one you might not feel that you wasted money, unless your style and fishing environment demanded braid from the start...THEN you wasted money.
What was the problem? We all would be willing to help.

L6

NEVER MIND! I read your other post.

Last edited by Lancer6; 12-04-08 at 07:54 AM.
Lancer6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-08, 11:04 AM   #18
Joel

Just a heads up. The main difference between Power Pro and Sufix Braid is that PP is 4 strain braid while Sufix braid is 6 strand. Sufix braid is rounder, casts easier into the wind, and is much less apt to have that dreaded tip wrap which is a nightmare at times to undo.

I respool all braided reels after 2 years of use, as by that time the braid becomes too soft. After two years of use you've more then gotten your monies worth. Of course you can simply take the braid and respool it on to another reel, and then use the other end of the braid that never saw the light of day for another two years. That should give you 4 years out of that spool.

The higher end Japanese braids have more strains and thus are even smoother with more distance when casting, and make a lot less of that braid noise when casting.
Joel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-08, 01:30 PM   #19
BassAddict

Quote:
Originally Posted by InEccess View Post
I use Suffix on MOST of my rods, and Berkley 100% Fluorocarbon on my others. I switched away from PowerPro this past year and I feel that's the main reason for this years preformance in my club (from 16th overall finish last year to 2nd overall this year as well as qualifying for my states BASS classic and finishing 19th overall and missing lunker by 2hundredths of a pound, all as a co-angler).
Bingo! Somebody understands. You will get more bites with fluoro or mono then you will with braid (even in stained water). I prooved this to myself a long time ago. I ONLY use braid for frogs.
Old 12-04-08, 05:17 PM   #20
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

I use green power pro and green Sufix preformance braid. The sufix is my favorite aof all the braids I've tried, with the PP in second.

BB

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.