Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 02-24-09, 09:42 PM   #1
bassackwards
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default anyone from or near va

has anyone fished the chickahominy lake or river?
and were cani get permits for the smaler lakes
can't find no info
bassackwards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-09, 10:21 AM   #2
jmartin

bassackwards hey man I am from Harrisonburg, I have never fished the chick, but I have heard great things about it. I do however fish the James alot and if you live in Hampton you are about 1-2 hours from any great launch on the James, and if you launch at Jordanpoint you can run up river 1 mile and fish the Appomatics River were it feeds into the James. They are both Great for any verity of fish.

Good Luck

Jerry
Old 02-25-09, 03:41 PM   #3
BassAddict
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

I'm in VA and fish the Chickahominy River a fair amount. Not sure about the smaller lakes near you in Hampton. Diascund Reservoir isn't far from you in James City county. It's a public lake that is trolling motor only. Some pretty good fishing there.
Old 02-25-09, 05:09 PM   #4
3dkicker
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Check with VGIF to find out the info on the smaller lakes around you. Some are for drinking water and probably have limited access but some also may be public lakes. They'll have everything you need.

Now about the Chick You've picked a great location if you love fishing pads and grass and tidal water.
There are three parts of the river.
The first is above the dam. There is still current movement in the lake but it's very slow and picks up a little after it rains. The lake has ledges, flats with grass, pads, laydowns, cypress trees, hydrilla and some nasty black stinky grass. My best baits are topwaters, spinnerbaits, and red shad worms.
The tidal river just below the dam and to the "cut through" at Helen's is the second section. Helen's is the name of the old hotel and ramp. The "cut through" is channel that forms an island just across the river from Helen's (now called River's Rest I think). Basically the main river pads stop here but everything above this area has grass and pads. The pads over the years have slowly decreased due to the hydrilla but they do come back here and there. Favorite baits above here is topwater, spinnerbaits, finesse worms, and shallow running crankbaits.
Below Helen's to the James river there are some pads but they are normally in the backs of the creeks. There are some good creeks with channel bends, cypress trees, and wood cover. They may or may not have hydrilla and/or pads. I don't fish this area all that much but I have caught a few nice fish on plastics. Others use standard baits like spinnerbaits, crankbaits and jigs.

Let me give a quick history about the river. Years ago we used to catch a lot of small bass, yep numbers of them, and a few nice fish then they slowly disappeared. Fishing became very tough and you were lucky to catch a limit but you could find some nice fish if you knew the river but not many. Then a group of anglers got together, raised some serious $$$, put some pressure on VGIF, and stocked the river. Those fish grew plus the natural bass population rebounded and now the river is fun again.
Old 02-25-09, 06:05 PM   #5
bassackwards

thanks for the info might go up there this weekend not nc now i know theres fish
weres a good ramp on the lake?
Old 02-25-09, 06:39 PM   #6
3dkicker
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Ed Allen's or Eagles Landing on the lake. Both are small but can handle most boats easily. Without the grass and pads you may want to take it easy on the lake. The river channel is deep but the flats can get skinny really quick if you don't know where they are. If you launch at Eagles you'll see a small group of cypress trees out to your left in the middle of the lake. There's deep water in front of them and skinny water behind. The deep water is the channel.
Old 02-25-09, 06:46 PM   #7
bassackwards

thanks i would hate to stick her on the first fishing trip
Old 02-25-09, 09:11 PM   #8
BassAddict
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

I'll let you know what's going on in the Chic after April 18th!

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.