Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 03-31-07, 09:44 PM   #1
commanche
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default Bend Barbs Down

if we all dont start releasing our bass unhurt ,i feel here in pa.our bass fishing is going to get worst..

here is what i do and i am always asking others on lake to help..

also we practice this on small trout streams..

tubes,worms,lizards,grubs,crawfish and live bait seem to be ones that bass will swallow way down..

if your barb is bent down,almost every bass can be released unhurt..i use those hemostats and go in thru the gill area and i can lift the hook right off the back of the bass tongue..
if barb is in it, no way i would try this..

we need to get word out on this to our bass friends..if anyone needs help on how to get hook out and tool to use,give me a PM..
commanche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-07, 12:40 AM   #2
senko
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

its called a hook remover, look into it...
Old 04-01-07, 12:13 PM   #3
commanche

Quote:
Originally Posted by senko View Post
its called a hook remover, look into it...

i tried evey hook remover for last 45 years fishing for bass,none work very good..
i use hemostat in behind the gills,last gill not middle ones, you dont want to injure the gills..

if BARB is in hook,most of time it rips a big hole behind tongue..bass cant clot blood like we do,so bass can keep bleeding..

i tested hundreds of bass hooked way back behind tongue and if i had BARB bent down, very little or no bleeding happens if remove like i said with HEMOSTATS..

if you set hook on first bite or use circle hooks,most of time bass will be hooked not deep..

i am seeing more and more bass dieing do to not bending barb down..
Old 04-01-07, 04:32 PM   #4
NJBassDevil

Quote:
Originally Posted by commanche View Post
if we all dont start releasing our bass unhurt ,i feel here in pa.our bass fishing is going to get worst..

here is what i do and i am always asking others on lake to help..

also we practice this on small trout streams..

tubes,worms,lizards,grubs,crawfish and live bait seem to be ones that bass will swallow way down..

if your barb is bent down,almost every bass can be released unhurt..i use those hemostats and go in thru the gill area and i can lift the hook right off the back of the bass tongue..
if barb is in it, no way i would try this..

we need to get word out on this to our bass friends..if anyone needs help on how to get hook out and tool to use,give me a PM..
I totally agree. I debarb my plastic hooks when I'm fun fishing but in a tourny situation, barbs stay on.
Old 04-01-07, 08:05 PM   #5
commanche

i won tournament last year because i member had dead fish..he said he tried to remove barbed hook from tongue..its hard not to kill fish with barb on tongue area.

yes, you can lose fish without barb but i really have not lost any because i keep pressure on bass and i use NET to bring bass to deck..

without NET and reaching over side for mouth in tournament, yes ,i agree you could lose a bass..

thanks for bending barbs down..
Old 04-01-07, 09:16 PM   #6
WTL
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Bending barbs is an ok idea, but I take exception to the idea that 100% catch and release angling is always beneficial to our outdoor resources. There are many lakes in my neck of the woods that could use several thousand bass harvested or killed. When a lake has a million bass, but none over 12 inches, limited fishing pressure, abundant fertility and resources - things are out of whack, and sometimes its better to take a few fish.
Old 04-01-07, 10:04 PM   #7
hackattack

nets hurt bass too...
hackattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-07, 12:33 AM   #8
senko

Quote:
Originally Posted by hackattack View Post
nets hurt bass too...
i prefer "swinging" or "lipping"
Old 04-02-07, 02:38 PM   #9
Patrick Krueger, Jr.

Barbs keep huge bass from shaking the bait easily.
Old 04-02-07, 03:26 PM   #10
bassthumb32

Send a message via AIM to bassthumb32 Send a message via MSN to bassthumb32

I Think That You May Be Crazy Commanche. I Havent Killed A Fish In At Least 6 Or 7 Years. Most Likely Longer, Truth Is I Cant Remember Killing A Fish.
Old 04-02-07, 03:34 PM   #11
BassinBandit

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTL View Post
Bending barbs is an ok idea, but I take exception to the idea that 100% catch and release angling is always beneficial to our outdoor resources. There are many lakes in my neck of the woods that could use several thousand bass harvested or killed. When a lake has a million bass, but none over 12 inches, limited fishing pressure, abundant fertility and resources - things are out of whack, and sometimes its better to take a few fish.

Thats right we have several lakes in VA where you can go out and catch 100 fish a day but maybe 10 of those 100 will be over 12. We need to look into harvesting some bass to make it a better overal bass haven. But as far as barbs are concerned. I really dont do mine like that because I use more cranks and jerks than anything.
BassinBandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-07, 07:58 PM   #12
commanche

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTL View Post
boy, i wish we had that problem here in pa.bass here dont grow as fast as you folks have in al..

no lake in pa. that has bass like you have..our size is 12 inchs to keep..places in pa. are trying out the BIG BASS RULES..i think a bass has to be 18 inchs to keep,not real sure if thats fact on that rule..

we only get 6 or 7 months of growing on bass here ,so if you do get a 6 pd bass, thats a old bass..

our problem is we release bass and others keep them..30 years ago in my favorite lake here we used to catch daily about 20 bass and half were 16 inchs or so,or 3 pd..

now, if you catch 4 or 5 , you are very lucky and NO LITTLE BASS ..so, we have just the opposite problem..

my last tournament on this lake we weighted in 11 bass..just 10 years ago we would weight in 45 ..

our lakes are being OVERFISHED and to much killing of bass..thank god we have anglers that release their bass here or we would have NO BASS..
Old 04-03-07, 11:12 AM   #13
Jolly

I'm not trying to be rude but maybe its not barbs thats killing fish but the anglers. I rarely kill bass via hook in gills; likely 2 or 3 a year fishing weekly. Preventing the hook being swallowed or hooking in the gills seems to be easily accomplished by setting the hook sooner rather then letting the fish swallow it. IMO, maybe you should tell people to get a more sensitive rod and keep their barbs. Again, not trying to be rude, but I can't believe that barbs are causing fish deaths, rather the angler.

Jolly
Old 04-03-07, 11:34 AM   #14
bassthumb32

Send a message via AIM to bassthumb32 Send a message via MSN to bassthumb32

I Disagree Commanche. I Live And Fish In Pa. Dont See The Same Problem Whatsoever. Just Had A Tournament This Weekend. We Had 4 Fish At 12lb 8ozs. I Think Thats An Ok Average. The Other Lakes I Fish Have The Problem That Wtl Is Talking About. Ill Fish For 4 Hours And Catch 20 Bass On A Bad Day. And I Have Only Caught 4 Fish From There Ever That Have Weighed More Than 3 Lbs. They Need Thinned Out. Im Taking Them Out And Putting Them In Another Lake Almost Everytime I Go.
Old 04-03-07, 01:22 PM   #15
brushhog
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default Moving Bass

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassthumb32 View Post
I Disagree Commanche. I Live And Fish In Pa. Dont See The Same Problem Whatsoever. Just Had A Tournament This Weekend. We Had 4 Fish At 12lb 8ozs. I Think Thats An Ok Average. The Other Lakes I Fish Have The Problem That Wtl Is Talking About. Ill Fish For 4 Hours And Catch 20 Bass On A Bad Day. And I Have Only Caught 4 Fish From There Ever That Have Weighed More Than 3 Lbs. They Need Thinned Out. Im Taking Them Out And Putting Them In Another Lake Almost Everytime I Go.
Will that work? moving bass... I've considered that with the ponds that I fish - three large ponds in close proximity to one another. Will thinning a pond of many small fish eventually lead to bigger fish and will adding thwe small fish to a pond with fewer, but larger fish, be helpful. Very Curious about opinions! Not sure i would even consider, but do wonder.
brushhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-07, 03:47 PM   #16
greentrout
BassFishin.Com Member

Default deep hooked fish

i have not posted here in a long time. this thread got my attention. from time to time i've seen bass killed by well meaning fishermen who tried to remove a deep hooked fish--myself included. these work and are not gimmicks. good fishing. www.dehooker4arc.com/index.html
greentrout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-07, 10:51 PM   #17
commanche

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassthumb32 View Post
i used to do that here until fish warden said it was illegal..we would take bass from stream and put in lake..they were not 12 inchs..

but it did help lake ,that was 30 years ago..

Last edited by commanche; 04-03-07 at 11:03 PM.
Old 04-03-07, 10:59 PM   #18
commanche

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jolly View Post
I'm not trying to be rude but maybe its not barbs thats killing fish but the anglers. I rarely kill bass via hook in gills; likely 2 or 3 a year fishing weekly. Preventing the hook being swallowed or hooking in the gills seems to be easily accomplished by setting the hook sooner rather then letting the fish swallow it. IMO, maybe you should tell people to get a more sensitive rod and keep their barbs. Again, not trying to be rude, but I can't believe that barbs are causing fish deaths, rather the angler.

Jolly
i agree with your info too..but many are not as experienced with what you have said..i very seldom hook bass on tongue but i do ,once in awhile..

i watch many anglers from shore rip hooks out..
many dont even carry something to remove hook..

so, when i teach at bass school at our club for adults and kids, i show how to hook bass and release it..

right now i am trying new circle hooks,takes while to get used to not setting hook but reeling down..they do work real good..
Old 04-04-07, 03:02 PM   #19
betursweetbass

Send a message via Yahoo to betursweetbass

I agree with both sides of the issue here. Bass are an important part of our country's history as far as the sport/pastime of fishing goes, and we all should take the care and precautions necessary to fish for them responsibly.
On the other hand, I have no intentions of making the sport that much harder on myself by increasing the odds of the bass to get away once I have managed to get one to strike my lure. I too have caught and released hundreds of bass in the past decade with no physical harm done to the fish.

Your intentions and concerns for the species are appreciated and acknowledged, but I chose not to make things harder for myself when it comes to bass fishing.....

Repectfully,

BET
betursweetbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-07, 03:58 PM   #20
mont_lunker_hunter

My barbs are staying on, if i figure out how to add some, i'll do that! Remember, like Jolly said, it's mostly the fishermans fault. And yes, everyone has killed a fish at some point, but alot of the damage is done while fighting the fish...we've all lipped bass that were already bleeding from the gills. Also, remember that bass have enzymes that will dissolve hooks, so if you can't remove it, cut it off as short as possible, the fish will live. Also, for a fish hooked in the tongue, cut the hook just below the eye and pull it all the way through from the point end.
mont_lunker_hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-07, 04:02 PM   #21
mont_lunker_hunter

Forgot to add this. The reason for slot limits on a lot of lakes, at least here in Arkansas, is to encourage the harvest of certain size fish, not just the other way around.
mont_lunker_hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-07, 05:27 PM   #22
links_man2

Good article in March Bass Times pg 30. I quote:

"Releasing every fish is not always the solution to better bass fishing."
"You remove some fish to upgrade the overall health and distribution of a larger bass population."

And on and on. So releasing all is not the answer just like keeping all is not the answer. Bottom line of article is they are trying to move the thinking back from release all to more middle ground.
links_man2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-07, 06:06 PM   #23
zooker
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

i have only killed one bass a 2 pounder or so, i set the4/0 hook with a frog.the hook must have periced it's brain. cause it was stone dead by the time i got it to the boat.

to be honest a if a few small 1-1.5 pound bass takin from a lake every year by anglers it really wont hurt nothing..or as wtl said you will get over crowding conditions. dinky stunted bass..

now comanche are you SURE this particular body of water has no bass in it??
i am not grain saying your skill... but how many do you catch during a day??

i aint bending down ANY barb ANY where ANY time....

zooker
Old 04-04-07, 06:26 PM   #24
senko

Quote:
Originally Posted by zooker View Post

i aint bending down ANY barb ANY where ANY time....

zooker
AMEN

senko
Old 04-04-07, 08:43 PM   #25
commanche

Quote:
Originally Posted by links_man2 View Post
Good article in March Bass Times pg 30. I quote:

"Releasing every fish is not always the solution to better bass fishing."
"You remove some fish to upgrade the overall health and distribution of a larger bass population."

And on and on. So releasing all is not the answer just like keeping all is not the answer. Bottom line of article is they are trying to move the thinking back from release all to more middle ground.

problem is how far do you go and how do you regulate it..

lets talk deer here,same therory as some of you said..

pgc said too many deer here in pa.so they had hunters kill doe off..we used to have 15 deer per mile now 3 per mile and a lot of miles without deer..

is hunting better, no,is forest better ,no..are deer that are left better, i dont see difference..

back to bass, i agree if you have like someone said 1 million`bass in lake,wow, thats something else..

i can only say our bass fishing here in pa. has got worst than 15 years ago..if you read my post you can see what we weight in now vrs 15 years ago in our tournaments..

dont say its TOO MANY LITTLE BASS,we dont have that problem..

our problem is too many bass are being killed to eat ,to mount, bad hooked,..

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.