Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 09-10-08, 09:25 AM   #1
Wishing2BFishing
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default Crankbait rods revisited

I was reading some of the older posts on crankbait rods. Seems like many prefer Lews Speed Sticks. Where do I find these rods (the Lew's "site", only give a name and number for customer assistance)?

Currently, I use a Kistler Crankbait Special (a blended graphite and glass rod) for my lighter cranks. Although it is rated 3/8 to 3/4 oz, it does well for the lighter cranks because of the parabolic 1/2 of the rod.

I am looking to purchase a crankbait rod for deeper diving cranks and am considering a Loomis MH crankbait rod. All of my reels are Chronarch Mg which have a 6 something gear ratio so I might purchase a slower reel and am also looking at the Daiwa Crazy Cranker reel. Any thoughts on the Loomis rod or Daiwa reel? How bout' those Lew's rods? Where do I find them?
Wishing2BFishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-08, 10:10 AM   #2
Wishing2BFishing

Zooker, can you help me on this one?
Old 09-10-08, 10:24 AM   #3
doc

I recently purchased a b&r outlaw rod that im using for top water and cranking. They have some rods specifically for cranking (as most rod companies). Tho I do not have one of the "cranking specific" rods, I am very impressed with the weight and sensitivity of my rod. In my opinion they compare to the high end rods in every way except price. retail for 129.95.

Ill post a link to their site and you can take a look for yourself, but I allways support the products that I really like (thunderstruck jigs), especally if they are cheaper than their competitors.

http://www.broutlawrods.com/catalog.html
doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-08, 12:34 PM   #4
Abbeysdad

What, I need a special rod/reel for every different type of bait?
That could cost as much as a boat!

Don't get me wrong, I'm not fishin with a cane pole, but I'm a workin man and there are some limits in spite of the stinkin bait monkey whisperin in my ear.
Abbeysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-08, 12:54 PM   #5
Wishing2BFishing

Abbeysdad, the bait monkey isn't whispering in my ear, he is screaming. Although he doesn't have any money, he wants a new rod and that is that.

In all seriousness, now that have been doing some tourney fishing, I truly believe that a good parabolic crankbait rod is a must. The last tourney, I placed second and believe that I would have had first if I didn't lose my last fish (coincidentally, this fish spit out my crankbait).

After the tourney, I did some reading which simply stated, indicated that most rods bend at the tip (the first quarter of the rod). According to the various articles, a crankbait rod should be a slower action which bends 1/2 way down so the bait won't tear out of the fishes mouth. Baitmonkey is now telling me to find a way to make this purchase despite the fact that I recently bought him a lighter weight crankbait rod.
Old 09-10-08, 05:03 PM   #6
Wishing2BFishing

JB, feel free to post the baitmonkey pic.
Old 09-10-08, 06:21 PM   #7
zooker
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

here ya go...

i still prefure american rodsmith..but i must warn you buying one will have you wanting another...

zooker
Old 09-10-08, 09:26 PM   #8
Wishing2BFishing

Thanks for the pic of the monkey next to the rods . . . I still have some questions though:

1. Seems like many prefer Lews Speed Sticks. Where do I find these rods (the Lew's "site", only give a name and number for customer assistance)?

2. Any thoughts on s Loomis crankbati rod or Daiwa Crazy Cranker reel?

3. Do American Rodsmiths have a rod that is especially for throwing cranks?
Old 09-10-08, 09:28 PM   #9
Wishing2BFishing

Zooker, I just looked at the American Rodsmith site. Are you recommending the David Fritts Glass crankbait rods?
Old 09-10-08, 11:18 PM   #10
Rebbasser

W2B, I used crankbait specific rod for a while, but didn't like the weight. I now use M action rods-mostly Falcon Low Riders-that range from 6-6 to 7-2. They have all performed like I wanted them to, so I'd recommend getting a 6-6 M action that feels good in your hand.
Old 09-11-08, 12:17 PM   #11
garry_3000
BassFishin.Com Active Member

I am an Setyr Rods guy and that is all I use but if I were to get an cranking rod other than a Setyr I would 100% all the way go with the David Fritts American Rodsmiths med HVY for small cranks like 100,200,300 bandits but for DD 22,16 or Deep little N (12-15ft) I would get the Hvy rod they are the best, next to my Setyr of course.
garry_3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-08, 01:33 PM   #12
Basscrazie

I have a 7ft kistler MH that works real nice till you tie the real deep cranks on and then it will wear me out in an hour..I need a glass H for the big baits.That will be my next rod buy.Ya'll have given me some good advise through this thread..Thanks
Basscrazie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-08, 04:37 PM   #13
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

I would never use a Loomiz for crankbaits. Waste of money IMO. As for the Dais crazy cranker reel, I've never used it but The zillion is an awesome reel, so I'm assuming the other is as well. I've fished with the Abu Winch and its also a great reel.

BB
Old 09-11-08, 06:37 PM   #14
carolina-rig-01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebbasser View Post
W2B, I used crankbait specific rod for a while, but didn't like the weight. I now use M action rods-mostly Falcon Low Riders-that range from 6-6 to 7-2. They have all performed like I wanted them to, so I'd recommend getting a 6-6 M action that feels good in your hand.
i have thrown crankbaits on falcons for a long time and have had no problems. if a parabolic action is what you are after, falcon does offer them too.
Old 09-11-08, 06:42 PM   #15
zooker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wishing2BFishing View Post
Thanks for the pic of the monkey next to the rods . . . I still have some questions though:

no that monkey is huggin the allstar rack

1. Seems like many prefer Lews Speed Sticks. Where do I find these rods (the Lew's "site", only give a name and number for customer assistance)?
Quote:
Zooker, I just looked at the American Rodsmith site. Are you recommending the David Fritts Glass crankbait rods?

yeah i am wishin

Quote:
Originally Posted by garry_3000 View Post
I am an Setyr Rods guy and that is all I use but if I were to get an cranking rod other than a Setyr I would 100% all the way go with the David Fritts American Rodsmiths med HVY for small cranks like 100,200,300 bandits but for DD 22,16 or Deep little N (12-15ft) I would get the Hvy rod they are the best, next to my Setyr of course.
in american rodsmith stick
the medium action rod is good for like 100,200 bandits or any medium diving baits like the deep lil n..

as the deeper the crank goes the bigger the crank is any crank over 5/8 oz you definatly want a medium heavy rod. as a dd22, a bandit 700,or a lc d-20 will REALLY overload a medium action rod.

medium divers you can get away with a 6'6'' rod distance is not really needed. but for the deep diggers the longer the better 7' is my choice..actually i have one of the h3 rods ..

btw a dd2 does bend the rod a bit but nowhere near as much as the lucky craft d-20 does..

if i was needin a second choice simple a rick clunn cranker or a lews speed stick-they are nearly imposable to get. even i have to custom order them..i may hate rick clunn but there his stuff is first rate..

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBassin144 View Post
I would never use a Loomiz for crankbaits. Waste of money IMO. As for the Dais crazy cranker reel, I've never used it but The zillion is an awesome reel, so I'm assuming the other is as well. I've fished with the Abu Winch and its also a great reel.

BB
not no.. hell no!! on the loomis. i tried it with a gl3 once WAY too much feel..
zillon is a good reel but way too fast for cranking.
i use either fritts reels 4.7 gearing is hard to beat i also have a lews speed spool. or one of my quatum mag gears 5.1.. the old winch was 3.8 geared i liked the one i had. i sent it in they sent me the new winch which sucks...

zooker
Old 09-11-08, 08:08 PM   #16
Rebbasser

Quote:
as the deeper the crank goes the bigger the crank is any crank over 5/8 oz you definatly want a medium heavy rod. as a dd22, a bandit 700,or a lc d-20 will REALLY overload a medium action rod.
Good point, hoss. I throw those big bruisers on a MH action Falcon Cara (Close out for special-otherwise I'd be using an American Rodsmith rod) and a David Fritts BPS crankbait reel-4.7:1. A higher speed reel will crap you out in nothig flat.
Old 09-12-08, 12:35 PM   #17
basstech

I don't recomend the loomis MH crankbait rod for deep divers. They are more like a med.
I have a couple of those and like them for the small cranks like killer b1's and the 1/8 oz big O's. on up to a bomber 6A. But much bigger than that, the rod gets overworked. I also bought a Hvy. for deep cranking but it is too stiff and the tip is to fast for my preference. Haven't really found a good deep diving cranking rod that i like that doesn't weigh a ton.
Old 09-12-08, 02:24 PM   #18
Wishing2BFishing

Quote:
Originally Posted by basstech View Post
I don't recomend the loomis MH crankbait rod for deep divers. They are more like a med.
I have a couple of those and like them for the small cranks like killer b1's and the 1/8 oz big O's. on up to a bomber 6A. But much bigger than that, the rod gets overworked. I also bought a Hvy. for deep cranking but it is too stiff and the tip is to fast for my preference. Haven't really found a good deep diving cranking rod that i like that doesn't weigh a ton.

Basstech, thank you very much for the response. Always good to hear from someone's first hand experience. So, I guess the MH Loomis crankbait rod is a little "light" for deeper divers?

What rods do you like for crankin medium to deep divers?
Old 09-12-08, 02:30 PM   #19
Wishing2BFishing

Zook, so Lews speed stick and Rick Clunn rods are good but hard to find,
Loomis is not good for crankbait sticks,
and American Rodsmiths are decent?

So here are some more questions:

1. Where do you get the Lews and Clunn rods?
2. Why are Loomis crankbait sticks not good (are they too light)?
3. Which American Rodsmiths are you recommending for cranks (hopefully not the "Pink Lady")?
4. What other rods should I consider for my cranks (preferably rods that are not hard to get)?

I am trying to become a "cranker" . . . I have an affection for them since 1) the only tourney that I placed in was with cranks, 2) I tend to do well when I am throwing them, 3) they are so purty' and fun to buy.

Anyway, I appreciate your help. W2BF
Old 09-12-08, 02:49 PM   #20
basstech

For stuff like Bomber 7A's say to Norman's deep little N's (the ones that dive 12 to 14 ft.) I use a St. Croix Med. Hvy. Moderate action graphite/glass, composite rod, I think it's a PCM66MH, Moderate action. For the Deeper stuff, DT 16's and DD22's I use a St. Croix, Moderate-fast action glass rod I don't remember at all the model on this one. The Blank lists it as a Med. power but the diameter and stiffness of the butt end of the Rod, I would call it heavy. They both weigh a lot more than I would like and do tend to wear me out after crankin' for 4 hours.
Old 09-12-08, 04:16 PM   #21
zooker

Quote:
Zook, so Lews speed stick and Rick Clunn rods are good but hard to find,
Loomis is not good for crankbait sticks,
and American Rodsmiths are decent?

So here are some more questions:

1. Where do you get the Lews and Clunn rods?
2. Why are Loomis crankbait sticks not good (are they too light)?
3. Which American Rodsmiths are you recommending for cranks (hopefully not the "Pink Lady")?
4. What other rods should I consider for my cranks (preferably rods that are not hard to get)?

I am trying to become a "cranker" . . . I have an affection for them since 1) the only tourney that I placed in was with cranks, 2) I tend to do well when I am throwing them, 3) they are so purty' and fun to buy.

Anyway, I appreciate your help. W2BF

#1 i have to order my lews with a wholesalers lisence. clunn rods are advailable at bps..
#2 loomis rods have too much feel they will lose you more fish than they will catch..the slow speed feel from a good cranking rod such as the american rodsmith stick is what is needed. not one that lets you feel a bass fart on your crank..
#3the pink lady ...lol no...i use the david fritts series crankbait rod the regular and the h3 series.. if the chubby rod is a concern get the h3. more money but lighter weight...

#4 another decent crankin rod is a bps extereme cranker..-they still weight as much as a AR stick-

zooker
Old 09-13-08, 10:14 AM   #22
Jigger

I've been using a Loomis cbr 843 med action 7 ft rod for, oh, I don't know, maybe 10 years or more and I like it a lot. I've caught lots and lots of fish on it to include lm bass, sandbass (aka white bass), hybrids and walleye and I've never thought it too sensitive. I broke the tip off of it several years ago and Loomis sent me a new one no questions asked. Things may be different now but the last glass cranking rod I threw totally wore me out it was so heavy. Not so with the Loomis stick. I throw shallow, med and deep divers on it. I agree that DD22s are a bit much but it handles everything else well. I also have a 7 ft Medium action Falcon Original rod that I use for cranking and it works well too. I agree with the others above who said any well made 7ft med action graphite rod works very well for cranking. Again, watch the weight on those glass rods. They can be killers if your cranking all day.
Jigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-08, 07:37 PM   #23
Wishing2BFishing

Zooker and anyone else familiar with the American Rodsmiths rods,

Are the Fritts Glass rods very heavy?

How bout' the American Rodsmiths Fritts Titanium series. The 7' rod is listed as medium/fast but the 7'6" is listed as medium/slow. Why? I thought all crankbait rods should be slow action not fast. I think I am confusing myself.
Old 09-24-08, 09:07 PM   #24
Wishing2BFishing

Anyone . . . anyone . . . Bueller . . .
Old 09-25-08, 05:01 PM   #25
zooker

neither one is a feather light the glass rod is heavier but as for how much it weighs.. i could care less i don't get tired any more..

zooker

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.