Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 01-29-12, 06:56 AM   #1
Fish-N-Fool
BassFishin.Com Member

Default My stinger hook setup for Hollow belly swimbaits

I started using this stinger setup for the hallow belly swimbaits after missing a bunch of fish while Pike fishing last year,
I use a Duo-lock snap in a fairly small size and added a size 1 treble hook to it and rigged it but sticking one of the trebles in it back. It didn't seem to hurt the action any and I did get better hookups.
Here is my setup; it's simple, and I think a good way to go. I haven't had any real problem with this so far though. This is 6" Basstrix Swimbait with the Gammy 7/0 keel weighted hook with the screw eye in front.

But it does catch alot more weeds and in some of the areas I fish it just didn't work, as all I hooked was weeds. Now I fish them with this stinger in any of the more open water and I came up with a more weedless stinger setup when I fish in the trashier stuff. It does kill the action some, but the fish still seam to bite it fine.
This stinger setup has been my little secret, but now I have decided to let the cat outa da bag. I use the trailer hook made by I think it's Eagle Claw, but I got them so long ago I forget for sure. Anyway take the rubber stuff they put in the hook eye out with a knife to open the hole up. The action of the bait much better with out it. Then I put it over the hook pointing up and rig it a as shown just like you rig the swimbait hook. Even done this way it does take away a little of the action, but not so much the fish don't still want to eat them. I fish this in the trashy water when I'm having hookup problems. This hooks slightly less fish then the treble hooked stinger setup does, but a whole lot less weeds.

Old 01-29-12, 10:54 AM   #2
merc1997
BassFishin.Com Active Member

why is the main hook not hooking them?? when fish commit to eating something they usually do not miss. if missing was the case, there would be lots of fish starving to death. most of your none hooking problem is in your main hook to begin with. ewg hooks are not good hooking to begin with because the hook point is blocked off by the line tie. and, the next problem is the pull line on an ewg hook ends up right under the hook point and can be hay hooked out by the fish very easily.
merc1997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-12, 11:16 AM   #3
keithdog
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

I've tried your treble stinger setup myself, only I had the stinger underneith the bait rather than at the top. Either way is fine I'm sure. Your method however would hook the fish in the roof of his mouth which is probably a better wat to go. My only question is why you use a snap to join the two hooks? When I've used this rig, I always just slipped the main hook through the eye of the trailer hook.
Old 01-29-12, 11:26 AM   #4
Bassboss
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Looks like an interesting set up! Might have to try it this year! How ever it seems like the snap could slip off the hook if it was to big.

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithdog View Post
I've tried your treble stinger setup myself, only I had the stinger underneith the bait rather than at the top. Either way is fine I'm sure. Your method however would hook the fish in the roof of his mouth which is probably a better wat to go. My only question is why you use a snap to join the two hooks? When I've used this rig, I always just slipped the main hook through the eye of the trailer hook.
My guess keith is just to have it a little further back toward the tail section, which in turn would hook short strikers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by merc1997 View Post
why is the main hook not hooking them?? when fish commit to eating something they usually do not miss. if missing was the case, there would be lots of fish starving to death. most of your none hooking problem is in your main hook to begin with. ewg hooks are not good hooking to begin with because the hook point is blocked off by the line tie. and, the next problem is the pull line on an ewg hook ends up right under the hook point and can be hay hooked out by the fish very easily.
I tend to agree when it comes to thinks like worms. But with thicker baits like the swimbait shown above, the plastic needs room to collapse into the bend of the EWG hook exposing the hook point. And plus, bass don't always commit 100% to our offering, sometimes they short strike or nudge up against it. If they always 100% committed to out artificial offerings, there would be lots of fish starving to death!
Old 01-29-12, 01:57 PM   #5
Fish-N-Fool
BassFishin.Com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by merc1997 View Post
Pike are not bass and they seem to grab a bait by the tail a lot. So having the treble set back in the tail gets thews fish.
Old 01-29-12, 03:45 PM   #6
merc1997
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassboss View Post
Looks like an interesting set up! Might have to try it this year! How ever it seems like the snap could slip off the hook if it was to big.

My guess keith is just to have it a little further back toward the tail section, which in turn would hook short strikers!

I tend to agree when it comes to thinks like worms. But with thicker baits like the swimbait shown above, the plastic needs room to collapse into the bend of the EWG hook exposing the hook point. And plus, bass don't always commit 100% to our offering, sometimes they short strike or nudge up against it. If they always 100% committed to out artificial offerings, there would be lots of fish starving to death!
if your bait is attached to the hook using a hanger(screw lock) on the eyelet of the hook, your bait does not ball up in the throat of the hook. the hook point just pops out and your bait slides up the hook shank while the nose of your bait remains attached to the hanger, therefore not sliding down the shank blocking the throat of the hook.
merc1997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-12, 02:16 PM   #7
Dogmatic
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Does the stinger hook single trailer hook version mess with the action that far back, and like Boss asked, doesn't the snap slide off(possibly) without anything holding it on the main hook(like a piece of tubing)? If you cut off or just bend the barb in on the treble that sticks into the top of the bait you won't tear up the baits as much, something I learned from Butch Brown's rig for the Huddleston.
Dogmatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-12, 05:52 AM   #8
Fish-N-Fool
BassFishin.Com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogmatic View Post
Does the stinger hook single trailer hook version mess with the action that far back, and like Boss asked, doesn't the snap slide off(possibly) without anything holding it on the main hook(like a piece of tubing)? If you cut off or just bend the barb in on the treble that sticks into the top of the bait you won't tear up the baits as much, something I learned from Butch Brown's rig for the Huddleston.

The spinner bait trailer hook does effect the action a very small amount, but not enough to keep the fish from hitting them.

I have never lost a fish due to the snap coming off the main hook nor have I lost the hook in casting. I don't use any tubing to hold it on, as that does kill the action of the bait.
Old 02-12-12, 01:11 PM   #9
finessefishin
BassFishin.Com Member

I do something similar to the treble stinger setup you have when I use the giant 7+ inch swimbaits. Instead of using a snap on top of the swimbait and then a treble I put the treble right on the hook and then texas rig the swimbait like I normally would so the treble is under the belly of the swimbait. It seems to hook more fish.
finessefishin is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.