Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 10-20-12, 04:55 PM   #1
ub2m4
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Cold water high winds?

Just got back from northern Michigan bass fishing. 1 week of 50 degree water and 15 - 20 mph winds. The only baits hat worked was 1/4 oz sonar blade bait. But at that only 11 bass in 47 hrs of fishing in rain and wind. Any better ideas for blasé fishing or any. Enter ideas for lures that might work better. I did try spinner baits up to 1 oz and swim baits. Tex rigged worms, and craw did not produce. No results from LC lipless or Megabass 110's. It is after the fact but any other suggestions?
ub2m4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-12, 07:30 PM   #2
kennethdaysale
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

That's a tough one, only muddy water on top of cold and windy could be any worse. Assuming water is clear find some rip rap thats been catching those high winds for a while and maybe try a 1/8 oz finesse jig on 8 lb #, tiny little hops or short, low and slow swims or maybe a 4" finesse worm on a drop shot worked in place in high percentage areas???............or maybe throw the book away and try throwing a DT10 in 7-8' of water and just pound the bottom all the way back to the boat....counterintuitive stuff like that sometimes works better than the obvious.
Old 10-20-12, 07:45 PM   #3
Marty

I agree, try anything, even if it's counterintuitive, as mentioned above. However, it's probably much more a function of fish location and activity level as opposed to which lures are used.

The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits

Rochester, NY
Marty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-12, 10:54 PM   #4
keithdog
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

My only thought to add would be to work square bill cranks around shallow cover. Other than that, football and a nap works for me.
Old 10-21-12, 06:17 AM   #5
joedog

ub2, first 'HAT'S OFF' to you.
Big winds mean COLD this time of year in Michigan. Rain and wind......can't post that word. '

Now you know your waters better than I ever will but I don't see jigs anywhere. Gobie tipped jiigs are/were working up north regardless whether your fishing 'gobie waters' or not.
The only other idea...spoons. Probably a 'flutter spoon' would work best this time of year.

SONAR, the original blade bait. Boy, the memories that little piece of metal brings.
Good to hear they're still working!
Old 10-21-12, 07:20 PM   #6
MIbasser

Wait for better weather!! I heard from some guys that went up a couple weeks ago and the bite was way off... But if you talked to them before the weather change, it was HOT! My boat is done for the year, but this weekend would have been a great time to be on the water.
MIbasser is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.