Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics

Old 12-01-09, 11:17 AM   #1
WaffleJaw
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default Got bored...(handle replacment)

So I had alot of time over Thanksgiving break...I did alot of fishing,but I also had alot of time at home since my wife had to work everyday.
I decided to work on my trusty Allstar rod...I broke the tip awhile back so I wanted to repostion the guides spacing to make up for it...While looking at the rod...The gears my head started working....I had some new ''Groovy'' EVA grips I made made earlier...and I wanted to re-do the buttwrap..Havent done that yet,but heres the split grip handle

I started by removing the buttwrap by shaving the epoxy with a razorblade tilL I hit thread...once you find the ''starting thread''..It unwraps really easily,epoxy and all.....I then use 150 grit sandpaper and steel wool to remove the excess epoxy and decal.....Pilers were used to remove the forgrip and handle by pulling chunks off..I then used a large flathead screwdriver (on its side) to scrap more cork off...Then more sanding with 100,150,and steel wool....once I was satisfied,I did three coats of Krylon crystal clear ''gloss'' on the blank...It came out almost flawless!!...I was able to re-use the rubber winding check from the forgrip to cover up the front of the reel seat...Added my groovy grips,and now my little cranking rod lost a few grams of weight,and has a nice,new custom look.....Ill start the butt wrap and guide spacing later this week.....It was really fun to do.
Im really impressed with how well the gloss finish on the blank came out...The only spot you can tell I sanded is right in front of the rubber winding check....But that will be covered by the butt wrap..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	buttwrap.jpg
Views:	526
Size:	340.0 KB
ID:	4501   Click image for larger version

Name:	decal.jpg
Views:	534
Size:	281.7 KB
ID:	4503   Click image for larger version

Name:	old handle.jpg
Views:	517
Size:	411.4 KB
ID:	4506   Click image for larger version

Name:	stripped decal.jpg
Views:	519
Size:	453.7 KB
ID:	4507   Click image for larger version

Name:	no forgrip.jpg
Views:	509
Size:	457.5 KB
ID:	4508  

Name:	removedgrip.jpg
Views:	526
Size:	330.0 KB
ID:	4509   Click image for larger version

Name:	main gloss.jpg
Views:	516
Size:	418.1 KB
ID:	4510   Click image for larger version

Name:	sanded grip.jpg
Views:	522
Size:	435.7 KB
ID:	4511   Click image for larger version

Name:	windingcheck.jpg
Views:	500
Size:	275.7 KB
ID:	4512   Click image for larger version

Name:	full handle.jpg
Views:	506
Size:	327.7 KB
ID:	4513  

Name:	splitgloss.jpg
Views:	513
Size:	355.0 KB
ID:	4514   Click image for larger version

Name:	closeup.jpg
Views:	512
Size:	309.4 KB
ID:	4515   Click image for larger version

Name:	better new handle.jpg
Views:	515
Size:	388.2 KB
ID:	4516  

Last edited by WaffleJaw; 12-01-09 at 12:58 PM.
WaffleJaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-09, 06:39 PM   #2
islandbass

That looks really good. Hats off. I wish I had those skills.
Old 12-01-09, 07:00 PM   #3
WaffleJaw

IB-thanks man,Im loving how it came out...Its really not hard to do..Thats why I always try and explain how I did it..Just a little patience is required,I think the whole process took about 5hrs...and that includes the little mistakes I made..mainly while trying the re-finish the blank...
Old 12-01-09, 07:16 PM   #4
Bassboss
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Wow! That's a great looking re-build waffle! I love the looks of the EVA grips, I bet the groves in there are really comfy!
Old 12-01-09, 07:22 PM   #5
islandbass

Thanks for the encouragement, waffle. Would it be too much to see your rod building jig? If I get into that, I would definitely prefer making my own apparatus or jig and yours looks good.
Old 12-01-09, 07:31 PM   #6
WaffleJaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassboss View Post
Wow! That's a great looking re-build waffle! I love the looks of the EVA grips, I bet the groves in there are really comfy!
You know?...they really are comfy,I got the groove idea from a builder on a different forum..and yea,I really like the feel of it...I am completely head over heels for EVA grips....And its funny,cause I would never try it when my Dad kept trying to push me to build with it,haha....but after using it to replace my lighting rod grips and fished with it....I was sold!...I still like my cork'd gripped rods too,...But the foam just feels so good in my hands.

Its like my snuggle bear
Old 12-01-09, 07:34 PM   #7
WaffleJaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by islandbass View Post
Thanks for the encouragement, waffle. Would it be too much to see your rod building jig? If I get into that, I would definitely prefer making my own apparatus or jig and yours looks good.
Absolutely.. I'll try and take detailed pictures of it tonight for ya....I built mine based off of others that I saw...take a look through these pictures for an idea.... A lot of these guys are doing this for a living,so those big fancy ones are overkill for guys like us,lol.....but you'll see alot of homemade jigs like mine:

http://www.fishingphotos.net/photopo...ry.php/cat/507

I think I spent about $20 to build mine....however,I already had the 1/2 ply.
Old 12-01-09, 07:43 PM   #8
islandbass

Many thanks, Waffle. If I get started in a rod making hobby (after getting suckered into lure making) I can list you as the source at a potential new addiction.
Old 12-02-09, 08:36 AM   #9
Bassboss

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaffleJaw View Post
You know?...they really are comfy,I got the groove idea from a builder on a different forum..and yea,I really like the feel of it...I am completely head over heels for EVA grips....And its funny,cause I would never try it when my Dad kept trying to push me to build with it,haha....but after using it to replace my lighting rod grips and fished with it....I was sold!...I still like my cork'd gripped rods too,...But the foam just feels so good in my hands.

Its like my snuggle bear
hahaha!

I've never uned "high quality" EVA grips before, just cheep ones on Shakespeare's. But when I've held them, they're really comfy!

btw, have you handled the new Skeet Reese rods yet? The grips they half are something you wont find on an other rod, super comfy, check them out too!
Old 12-02-09, 11:27 AM   #10
WaffleJaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassboss View Post
hahaha!

I've never uned "high quality" EVA grips before, just cheep ones on Shakespeare's. But when I've held them, they're really comfy!

btw, have you handled the new Skeet Reese rods yet? The grips they half are something you wont find on an other rod, super comfy, check them out too!

Well theres EVA and Hypalon foam....Ive used both and cant really tell a difference...One just feels sliiiiiiiiighty denser...but not enough to care..
I did handle both the Skeet and Vendetta.....The skeet had crooked guides on every one that I held (about 5).not enough to really cause a difference,but enough to wing me off of them (plus I think they're hideous)...The Vendetta was actually very,very impressive!!....That felt like a great deal on that rod all the way around
Old 12-03-09, 10:56 AM   #11
WaffleJaw

Finished up the butt wrap last night...Went for a reversed chevron..Took about 4hrs to complete.I think it came out extremely nice!!..
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	REVERSE CHEVRON.jpg
Views:	498
Size:	299.6 KB
ID:	4522  
Old 12-03-09, 11:09 AM   #12
WaffleJaw

ahhhhhhhhhh crap!!..I left out the black accent in the middle...mother%#@&*,,,hahaha.
I thought something looked off....
Old 12-03-09, 01:01 PM   #13
islandbass

Wow, WJ. That is fantastic work. If you hadn't mentioned it, no one would have known you forgot something. Glad to see you're hooked.
Old 12-03-09, 01:20 PM   #14
WaffleJaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by islandbass View Post
Wow, WJ. That is fantastic work. If you hadn't mentioned it, no one would have known you forgot something. Glad to see you're hooked.
Thanks IB.....Ive been banging my head about forgetting that ONE thread...and what sucks,is after the pic I already cut all the excess tag ends off and put on Color preserver......Im gonna have to strip the whole thing off and start over.....It wont take that long to do,just sucks a little bit,haha...That missing thread ,when added, will really set off the pattern....
Old 12-08-09, 10:44 AM   #15
WaffleJaw

Much better...Not perfect,but that'll do pig.

Need to add some more red (ran out) on the tie off bands and Im still waiting on the new drying motor to come in...Need to finish this up so I can start the new rod...Components all came in....This is the worst monkey Ive ever fought
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	revche2.jpg
Views:	492
Size:	310.0 KB
ID:	4528   Click image for larger version

Name:	revcheside.jpg
Views:	492
Size:	308.6 KB
ID:	4529  
Old 12-17-09, 10:51 AM   #16
WaffleJaw

Took forever for the new drying motor to get here...But I finally got it done the other night...Im gonna sand out some small imperfections and re-apply on the butt wrap,but it came out really nice.
I took a picture of the two guides that I had to reposition near the tip...When I had to replace the broken tip, that first guide was only 2.5'' away...Now they evenly handle the line.....The repairs came out 99% flawless
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	EPOXY CHEV.jpg
Views:	498
Size:	326.5 KB
ID:	4538   Click image for larger version

Name:	EPOXY GRIP.jpg
Views:	506
Size:	310.0 KB
ID:	4539   Click image for larger version

Name:	EPOXY FULLGRIP.jpg
Views:	502
Size:	320.3 KB
ID:	4540   Click image for larger version

Name:	HOOKSAVER.jpg
Views:	507
Size:	281.9 KB
ID:	4541   Click image for larger version

Name:	GUIDES.jpg
Views:	489
Size:	297.3 KB
ID:	4542  

Name:	SINGLE GUIDE.jpg
Views:	465
Size:	212.0 KB
ID:	4543  
Old 12-17-09, 11:33 AM   #17
nofearengineer

Waffle, I'll say it again. I am really impressed by your work, especially considering that you really just picked it up. Outstanding.
Old 12-17-09, 12:13 PM   #18
WaffleJaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofearengineer View Post
Waffle, I'll say it again. I am really impressed by your work, especially considering that you really just picked it up. Outstanding.
Thank you,Thank you....I tell you the most painful part is still applying the epoxy..That will make or break the entire build....Its getting alot easier.
On the last two builds,I ended up with a few guides that stayed a bit ''rubbery'' and everything else harden up to a ''T''....I didnt understand why the difference. The only thing I came up with was I wasnt mixing the two parts 100% equally....I think I got a good method now,with less bubbles...
The way to solve the rubbery guides is to reapply a thin layer on top to harden up...pretty easy fix.

Before I applyed the epoxy on this one ,I took my lighter and ran it parallel to all the thread back and forth really fast (never underneath) to eliminate fuzzies...Then after I applied the epoxy,I did it again while it was turning on the motor to eliminate tiny bubbles.
If the fuzzies get epoxied then your left with tiny pin needles all over the finish...PITA!...And the bubbles just look bad...A few is no big deal.
Hold up one of your rod guides under light and count the bubbles...lol...You never notice those little things.....I held up the guides that All Star did on this rod and there were over 30 tiny,tiny,tiny bubbles in the finish....Without the light you dont see them.
My epoxy had about 70% less than that.....Im very very proud of that.
Old 12-17-09, 03:12 PM   #19
Jrob78

Nice job! I too have just gotten into rod building, I have completed two so far. You're right, the epoxy is still the hardest part. I have been using high build and planning on two coats. I put the first coat on thin and then after it's cured use a thin double sided razor blade to slice off any fuzzies that are poking out. I then lightly sand and apply another thin coat to finish it off. The very best way I have found to eliminate bubbles is to use a straw and gently breathe hot air onto the curing epoxy. It really takes the bubbles out. I don't even bother being careful when I mix anymore. I pour the epoxy onto a sheet of aluminum foil after it's mixed and then use the straw to take out the bubbles, works like a charm! The foil also gives you a little more time to work.
Jrob78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-09, 03:34 PM   #20
WaffleJaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrob78 View Post
Nice job! I too have just gotten into rod building, I have completed two so far. You're right, the epoxy is still the hardest part. I have been using high build and planning on two coats. I put the first coat on thin and then after it's cured use a thin double sided razor blade to slice off any fuzzies that are poking out. I then lightly sand and apply another thin coat to finish it off. The very best way I have found to eliminate bubbles is to use a straw and gently breathe hot air onto the curing epoxy. It really takes the bubbles out. I don't even bother being careful when I mix anymore. I pour the epoxy onto a sheet of aluminum foil after it's mixed and then use the straw to take out the bubbles, works like a charm! The foil also gives you a little more time to work.
Nice man, Ive actually done all of the above,lol...I quit using the foil because I had a hard time seeing the epoxy spread on it,plus Ive gotten it to where I can mix without bubbles..I used the yorker caps on the epoxy bottles,trimmed them down to where you can fit my syringe tip in,flip the bottle and draw out like that,it kepts the bubbles at the top,and keep the syringes clean(outside)...The brushing is where I get my bubbles,lol
That and a poor light source.
I do use a straw to blow the dust off before applying...I tried it for bubbles as well but found the lighter to works a little faster/easier for me.
But using the straw and foil does work really well

Your dead on about using the razorblade to slice off the fuzzies..It works great doesnt it?I dont sand it,I just reapply a thin coat of epoxy....Theres nothing wrong with sanding,I just get great results without it....That and Im afriad of getting sanding dust in the next coat,...

Post some pics of your rods!! I like to see em.
Old 12-17-09, 03:59 PM   #21
Jrob78

Great idea on the epoxy bottles!! I have ruined two bottles by wiping the syringes on the same paper towel and then contaminating the resin with the hardner residue from the syringes, or vice versa, if that makes any sense. The next time I buy epoxy I will definitely try that. I read on a rod building forum that after 24 hours it was a good idea to lightly sand when putting on additional coats. I slice off fuzzies and any trash that might have ended up in the finish and then lightly scuff with a 320 grit finger nail file. I don't really know if its necessary but i figure it can't hurt. Another thing I have found to work much better for me is to not use brushes. I use swabs. I work in the printing industry and we use these foamy swabs to clean various parts on print heads. They are lint free and much easier (for me) to control. Basically like a flat Q-tip but not cotton. We order from a printing supply company, not sure who else would sale such a thing though.

The last rod I built was on a Mudhole MHX blank, I used all size 4 Fuji alconite micro guides. It turned out pretty well, I haven't gotten to try it out yet though. I'm really excited to see for myself how the micros perform. I will try to take some pictures and post them for you to see. I haven't gotten nearly as fancy as you, my rods are pretty basic split grip casting rods with no intricate thread work. After seeing your work I'm going to have to up my game!
Old 12-17-09, 04:26 PM   #22
WaffleJaw

Wait a minute!! Your in Dallas,TX and work in printing?? Im in Dallas ,Tx and work in printing..HAHA!...I work at Ms Dallas Reprographics...Are you at a Thomas repro?..

Ok tell me what you think about the MHX blanks?...On the forums,when Loomis arent available people are steered towards MHX because Im told they compare to the GLX Loomis.Im ordering one at the end of the month...Im really wanna try one out.
I like Rainshadow alot,great sensitivity!! and light weight.I used two CRB blanks,and I wont use them again...Thier not bad for a IM6 and the price,but Forcast&Rainshadow blows them away!!
The CRB blanks are kinda heavy and not much sensitivity.
You know the thought the foam brushes crossed my mind,I might have to give something like that a try...What are they called?
How hard are those microguides to wrap?...Those things are tiny,lol

As far as the decrotive butt wraps go...Once you see the fundamentals,there all easy,lol..Belive it or not the hardest part is the trim band in my opinion....

Open wraps like the chevrons,reverse chevron (above) ,optical chevron,and diamond wraps are all done almost the same....Theres no weaving or anything hard,Its all a spiral wraps up or down the underwrap

What area in Dallas are you at?

Last edited by WaffleJaw; 12-17-09 at 04:47 PM.
WaffleJaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-09, 04:37 PM   #23
MississippiBoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaffleJaw View Post
Your in Dallas,TX and work in printing?? Im in Dallas ,Tx and work in printing..
Talking to yourself again?
Old 12-17-09, 04:41 PM   #24
WaffleJaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by MississippiBoy View Post
Talking to yourself again?
Haha,Yea this damn ''quote button'' doesnt work all the time on my work PC.

You believe me ,right
Old 12-17-09, 05:19 PM   #25
Jrob78

Wow! Small world! I work at a company called BK Companies, we do large format digital printing. We do alot of work for the Galleria and North Park malls, also alot of gallery work for photographers. I live in Carrollton.

This is my first build on an MHX blank and I haven't fished it yet. From what I can tell though it is a very high quality blank. It is super light and the blank itself was very straight. It seems like it is plenty sensitive. Without having fished it I think I'm going to be very pleased with it. I'm planning on getting one of the blends next to build a crankbait rod. I almost went with a Rainshadow RX7 but decided not to. The first rod I built was on a crappy no name blank, I just wanted to get my technique down, I ended up giving to a neighbor kid, never even fished it.

The swabs I use are out of the Feller's catalog, you might have one of those lying around. They are pretty crappy for what they were designed for but work great for applying epoxy. They are on page 76 and are called "Oce' large cleaning swabs."

The micro guides aren't really hard to wrap, they are hard to make stay in place before you wrap though. After trying everything I ended up using those little black rubber bands that they sell for womens hair. I doubled and tripled the bands up and rolled them on the blank, they held the guide feet pretty well. Another issue with micros is making sure that you don't get epoxy in the ring. The guides sit so low that you have to be really careful. I used the Forhan locking wrap and feel pretty good with how they turned out. You are definitely right about trim bands, they took the longest to wrap. It definitely takes some patience, mine kept coming unraveled. I might have to try something more decorative next time.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.