Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Casual Fishing Discussions & Novice Questions

Old 01-14-13, 07:57 PM   #1
WaffleJaw
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default Fishing Fork with kayakbassin TV

I gotta really cool opportunity this weekend..I was invited to come to Lake Fork for Fri-Sunday to fish and film with KayakbassinTV (WFN) with Chad Hoover.
Naturally I wasnt gonna pass up the opportunity...It was short notice,so I had to prep quick..I was excited to meet Chad since we've talked quite a bit via facebook,but mostly excited to fish Fork for an entire weekend....Ive been wanting to do that forever...Plus with a group of guys I knew well and fished with quite a bit since I started kayak fishing..

however....

The fishing was terrible..Well for most...The weather was down right brutal..high 60's and pouring rain on Saturday....Then a 30 degree drop cold front, waking up to 37 degrees with 20-30 mile winds Sunday......and yea, we fished it in kayaks.

Heres a few pics...Starting off, the weather was awesome...No wind, foggy and not cold at all...Even a few fish caught right off the bat!

Then.......about a 2 hours in....Light rain then heavy down pour!

5 of us were lucky enough to be right next to some docks so we posted underneath till the rain let up (about half an hour)

After that we fished for a few more hours..Then paddled back to load up...I was soaked! all my tackle was drenched...The inside of my car was sloppy wet because my carrying system for the yak runs under the roof which allows water to drip in on the seats.....Yea it was a mess...We spent that night drying gear/seats/clothes with box fans in our cabins.

I dont have a lot of pics for Sunday.....We launched at a spot I knew...Theres a road bed 20 yards from the stump field...I paddled out against the 25-30 mile wind....Made on cast with a Crig and said ''**** this!!!''
Then drifted to another area....I was freezing and my fingertips were on fire!!!.....The only way to hold position was with clipping to stumps (unless you dont mind throwing an anchor away).....But cold wind would send water under the side and freeze your a$$.....

A few solid fish were caught though!...One was off the road bed I mentioned...He was smarter and clipped to a stump and hit it at a different angle and pulled up a 3 and a 5er......

So although the weather sucked and all my crap is still drying...and I was SKUNKED all weekend....I still had an incredible time!!
And even though I got skunked,I got something even better....Chad wanted to see my Lime green / grey rod I built not too long ago...Lime green is his company color scheme and we talked about that rod a few months back.....He loved the rod, and commission me to build him a frog rod plus one for the KBF Chamionships in March.....Then, he paddled by me while fishing and said hey, lets go shoot a spot on the show for your rods
and we did,and I cant express how humbled and grateful I was for that....
It was awkward,haha....But man, what a surprise.
We made plans to come back in April for redemption....Ill be looking forward to that....Fork was tough for me all year in the kayak so Im hoping the spring will turn it around.....Anyways, It great experience..Breakfast provided some great laughs and story telling....Driving home with a mildew smelling car and soaking wet seats was well worth the memory!
Old 01-14-13, 08:16 PM   #2
keithdog
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Wow, what a weekend! The part about shooting a spot for the show about your rods is awsome buddy! And some of the photos you posted would make great wallpaper for the comp! Maybe you got skunked, but sure looks like it was a great time, except the freezin part! haha Thanks for sharring.
Old 01-14-13, 09:14 PM   #3
joedog

Walker thanks for the pics and share.
Got to ask, last photo, Duck Hunters?
They look Happy, Happy, Happy!
Old 01-14-13, 09:36 PM   #4
bamabassman

awesum ain't the word for it walker.....i am SOOOO happy for you man. sorry the weather turned bad for you. great pictures too my friend.
Old 01-14-13, 10:14 PM   #5
WTL

After looking at those pics, my kayak is nearly undeserving of being called a kayak.
Old 01-14-13, 11:29 PM   #6
WatterBoy

Great share, Walker. Thanks for the story and pics! Sorry about the poor conditions and tough fishing, but an awesome experience nonetheless.
WatterBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-13, 02:44 AM   #7
WaffleJaw

Keith I LOVE the group foggy photo...I really tried to take more photos but I get so zoned into what/where Im gonna fish.....weird,right?.hahaha...

Joe we were called the yak dynasty all weekend

Thanks John!...Im still in awe about it....I never mentioned my rods or anything..I figured guys like him get hit up all the time to check stuff out, or try fishing this or that or how can I be pro-staffer,etc...I just wanted to fish......He just paddled beside me and ask if I brought that rod he liked...and all this went from there....I got lucky,no doubt!
Old 01-15-13, 09:42 AM   #8
bassboogieman

Nice Walker. Maybe some well deserved reconition? Be great to see him feature your rod, after it's built, like in a little snippet at the end of a show. The rain downpour looks like it was anything like fun, but the rest of the day must have been a very nice experience.
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-13, 10:03 AM   #9
bamabassman

no walker....luck had nothing to do with it. HARD WORK and DEVOTION to you craft is what did it my friend. one of these days....i PROMISE, oyu and bubba are gonna make me a few rods. when i get another job and some stuff taken care of. you jsut wait. i'm getting older now and am in need of some GOOD, LIGHTWEIGHT, SENSITIVE, POWERFUL new rods.

this is something i have been wanting to do for about 2 years now. getting rid of my antiques i use (retire them and put them on the wall,lol)and replace them with some new quality set ups.

and the FINE folks here are gonna supply me with what i want. YOU being one of them.

keep up the fantastic work flappyjack. and hopefully one day we can meet for a fishing trip. but i ain't going in no yak, hahahahaha!!! oyu'll have to settle for being in the RAJUN CAJUN. lol!
Old 01-15-13, 10:49 AM   #10
lilmule

Very nice article with pics,that makes it complete.
Would love to toss in there,but under a lil better conditions.
lilmule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-13, 01:11 PM   #11
WaffleJaw

Thanks guys...I dont know if its well deserved or not,I know Im humbled and I want to see this succeed with some success this year....I couldnt ask for better advertising since I never do it!! hahaha.....I cant retire off of it, but if it can become a nice side/steady business I would be more than happy!!

John I want nothing more to make a Dale Hollow trip!!...Seriously, I want to fish all of you guys and make you uncomfortable with my gay jokes.....This year probably wont afford it....But one day soon, were gonna do this! This is my home site I owe so much to yall!

Mule, Fork has been a beast on us this year...Ive made 4 trips and all have been less than satisfactory..Not just me ,but the entire group...It started being on fire!! and we just picked a bad weekend to go...But Ill be back in April for sure!
Old 01-15-13, 01:21 PM   #12
bassboogieman

Walker, if you come to Dale I would just have to bring my kayak... I acturally was considering it for this May, but Doc cannot attend and my FIL refuses to consider fishing from a kayak - dumb arse - so I will be in the boat. But another time, Dale Hollow would be fun to fish from a kayak. WTL should be able to give some insight after this year.
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-13, 01:53 PM   #13
WaffleJaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassboogieman View Post
Walker, if you come to Dale I would just have to bring my kayak... I acturally was considering it for this May, but Doc cannot attend and my FIL refuses to consider fishing from a kayak - dumb arse - so I will be in the boat. But another time, Dale Hollow would be fun to fish from a kayak. WTL should be able to give some insight after this year.
That would be awesome!..I wouldnt come without strapping the yak and welcome anyone to use it (and Ill take a Rajun Cajun ride) ...2014 will hopefully be a more stable year for me to make the trip!...Ive still yet to catch a smallie!!!!
Old 01-15-13, 03:40 PM   #14
bcklash

Waffle this is awesome.
Old 01-15-13, 09:46 PM   #15
bamabassman

well walker, i won't be able to make it to dale this year either. BUT hopefully this will be the last event i EVER miss.
Old 01-15-13, 11:54 PM   #16
MallenManson

Send a message via Yahoo to MallenManson

So every cloud really does have a silver lining!

Great read and incredible photos!
Old 01-16-13, 12:08 AM   #17
Bassboss

The worst weather makes for the best memories! Two baseball games that stand out the most my freshman year was the hottest one, of the year, and and coldest one of the year.

Looks like a fantastic experience pancake. Anyway we can watch the episode online somewhere?
Old 01-16-13, 01:46 AM   #18
WaffleJaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassboss View Post
The worst weather makes for the best memories! Two baseball games that stand out the most my freshman year was the hottest one, of the year, and and coldest one of the year.

Looks like a fantastic experience pancake. Anyway we can watch the episode online somewhere?
I have no idea when to expect the episode to air,but Ill definitely keep yall posted...The camera man was all over the place so Im curious to see how they put it together
Old 01-19-13, 12:06 AM   #19
Bubba_Bruiser

Send a message via MSN to Bubba_Bruiser

Looks like an audition for a production of Duck Commander. The dirty bastards of Yak Commander.

I just read up on the other responses. Yak Dynasty, could be something to propose to Willie because the Yaks seem to be blowing up here lately.

Anyways, awesome read PC, sounds like some doors are opening for you and a good weekend of fellowship to boot.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.