Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Casual Fishing Discussions & Novice Questions

Old 02-15-13, 11:59 AM   #1
WatterBoy
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default Double digits!

Nope, I didn’t catch a “double digit bass,” but it’s finally down to “double digit days” until the 2013 bass opener here in MN!

126 days since I last fished, 99 days until opener -- not that I’m counting...
WatterBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-13, 12:13 PM   #2
bluebasser86
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

I couldn't imagine having a closed season. I haven't fished since yesterday but I'm going in an hour or so when it warms up a bit more
bluebasser86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-13, 09:09 PM   #3
Marty

New York's season runs from the 3rd Saturday in June through November 30 and we weren't allowed to target bass (or anything else) outside its closed season. For 35 years the 3rd Saturday in June was the most important date of the year on my calendar.

Then six years ago they relaxed the regulations for bass to allow catch-and-release fishing during the closed season. That was a gift with a capital "G" and these days I'm oblivious to the season opening and closing dates.

The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits

Rochester, NY
Marty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-13, 09:51 PM   #4
kennethdaysale

Quote:
Originally Posted by WatterBoy View Post
Nope, I didn’t catch a “double digit bass,” but it’s finally down to “double digit days” until the 2013 bass opener here in MN!

126 days since I last fished, 99 days until opener -- not that I’m counting...
I'm going to have to give a Huge x2 to blues If I lived where I could only legally fish 140 days a year I'd either move or be forced into a life of crime. Does the DNR give any justification? Is it just tradition? Do they think they are somehow protecting the fisherie? I think I remember a thread last year when we were talking about the fact that removing a big big female in July yields the same result as removing her in May.....either way her egg laying days are over. Of course they may have spent lots of time and money to determine a closed season is good for yall but yikes.
Old 02-15-13, 10:04 PM   #5
WatterBoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebasser86 View Post
I couldn't imagine having a closed season. I haven't fished since yesterday but I'm going in an hour or so when it warms up a bit more
Technically, our season is only closed from Feb 25-Mar 25, but with everything iced over way before and after that range, it doesn't really matter that it's still open now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty View Post
New York's season runs from the 3rd Saturday in June through November 30 and we weren't allowed to target bass (or anything else) outside its closed season. For 35 years the 3rd Saturday in June was the most important date of the year on my calendar.

Then six years ago they relaxed the regulations for bass to allow catch-and-release fishing during the closed season. That was a gift with a capital "G" and these days I'm oblivious to the season opening and closing dates.
It's not legal to target any species whose season is closed here either. Wish they would go to C & R here during closed season also, but I doubt that will happen any time soon.
Old 02-15-13, 10:24 PM   #6
WatterBoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennethdaysale View Post
I'm going to have to give a Huge x2 to blues If I lived where I could only legally fish 140 days a year I'd either move or be forced into a life of crime. Does the DNR give any justification? Is it just tradition? Do they think they are somehow protecting the fisherie? I think I remember a thread last year when we were talking about the fact that removing a big big female in July yields the same result as removing her in May.....either way her egg laying days are over. Of course they may have spent lots of time and money to determine a closed season is good for yall but yikes.
You can legally fish for bass way more than 140 days here, but you'd have to cut holes in the ice for some of that time.

Not sure what the rationale is behind the closed season, but I would suspect there was a time in the past when someone thought they were protecting the fishery with closed seasons on pike, musky, bass, walleye, etc. And now that's just the way it works with nothing I've heard of about it ever possibly changing.

Our Smallmouth season also goes to "C & R only" starting the Monday after Labor Day every year, and I have no idea what is behind that.
Old 02-15-13, 11:01 PM   #7
joedog

Our season is closed from First Sun. in March (March,3rd) till the first Sat. in May, (May,4th).
Has absolutly no value to the fish WHATS-SO-EVER.
Spawn doesn't start before 50 degrees waters and that's just PRE spawn movement. The beginning of the spawn cycle.
Mid May is a typical spawn time average date.

That's Inland Waters, lakes and ponds.
Running water, rivers and streams are open year round.
The exception is some 'trout streams'. they maybe closed based on season but I think most go by catch and release rules based on spawn.
We did a great talk on this last year as Ken mentioned.
Someoneone probably can find it.

It's basically more tradition than anything else.
Illinois has year round season but we don't.

But opening day is big in Wi., just like opening day of Deer hunting or Turkey season.
Old 02-16-13, 12:16 AM   #8
WatterBoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by joedog View Post
Our season is closed from First Sun. in March (March,3rd) till the first Sat. in May, (May,4th).
Has absolutly no value to the fish WHATS-SO-EVER.
Spawn doesn't start before 50 degrees waters and that's just PRE spawn movement. The beginning of the spawn cycle.
Mid May is a typical spawn time average date.

That's Inland Waters, lakes and ponds.
Running water, rivers and streams are open year round.
The exception is some 'trout streams'. they maybe closed based on season but I think most go by catch and release rules based on spawn.
We did a great talk on this last year as Ken mentioned.
Someoneone probably can find it.

It's basically more tradition than anything else.
Illinois has year round season but we don't.

But opening day is big in Wi., just like opening day of Deer hunting or Turkey season.
Hardly anyone here cares at all about bass opener. Now walleye opener on the other hand, that's a whole different deal! That is a HUGE event, and it is two weekends prior to bass opener. The governor goes fishing in a different part of the state each year. Here is a bit more info about walleye opener, taken from this site - http://www.mngovernorsopener.com/

"The Governor’s Fishing Opener has been a tradition in Minnesota since 1948. The event was designed to promote the development of Minnesota’s recreation industry, and in recent years, it has served as a kick-off celebration for the summer tourism season. Travel and tourism generate $11.3 billion in leisure and hospitality gross sales in Minnesota annually.

The Opener provides the host community with an opportunity to highlight local fishing and other recreational activities, attractions and other points of interest. Media from throughout the region attend the event, resulting in significant publicity for the host community and Minnesota."
Old 02-16-13, 12:16 AM   #9
Bassboss
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Won't be long now!

lol, just a few weeks away for me! Can't wait to start chasing smallies on the Wolf right after ice out!
Old 02-16-13, 09:54 AM   #10
lilmule

Lol ice ,closed seasons,rejoice spring at last at least for some of us.
lilmule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-13, 11:38 AM   #11
keithdog

We have no opening dates here in Indiana. The season is wide open, but limited by hard water. Typically, open water will return around the second week of March. I can't wait!!!!!!!!!!! Heading to Gander Mountain to get the line for my reels today.
Old 02-16-13, 11:41 AM   #12
Rebbasser

I think I would go absolutely insane if we had a closed season here in Texas. That, or I would have to move to keep from going insane. Granted, having the lake frozen over would help, but still...

You boys come on down to Texas if you need a fix. We can help!
Old 02-16-13, 11:49 AM   #13
WatterBoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithdog View Post
We have no opening dates here in Indiana. The season is wide open, but limited by hard water. Typically, open water will return around the second week of March. I can't wait!!!!!!!!!!! Heading to Gander Mountain to get the line for my reels today.
Season is always open in Iowa also, so I'll try to get down there to fish with my dad a couple times before it opens here. I have 3 reels in to be cleaned with Pro Reel and all my new line already waiting to be put on those and a few other reels. Looking forward to your first fish pics of the year, Keith!
Old 02-16-13, 12:50 PM   #14
bamabassman

it's freggin cold here today!!! 29 degrees and windy!!!
Old 02-16-13, 01:14 PM   #15
WatterBoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamabassman View Post
it's freggin cold here today!!! 29 degrees and windy!!!
If you grew up your whole life with winters like that, it would be NUTHIN' because you'd be used to it!

You should try 29 BELOW and windy sometime...
Old 02-16-13, 02:43 PM   #16
bamabassman

hahahaha, dean i jsut KNEW you would say that. but i tell you...i have a co-worker who is from ohio down here. he said today that it was COLD for him. it's the humidity here that makes it FEEL colder than up there. he told me if it was 29 up there, he would be in shorts and tee shirt...here he is in coveralls. haha!!

it seems odd to me that it would SEEM colder here. but hey, i remember being out in dallas texas during july and aug, i never sewated one drop. and the temp was 110 ! folks would ask if there was someting wrong with me, i said it's the lack of humidity. i had ot be careful though, cause i would dehyfrate myself quick out there.

and as for the 29 BELOW....as much as i DON'T want to...i am sure i will one day HAVE to get out in that with this new job. we got some folks in baltimore now also in the upstate new york area. they talking about 4-7 banks of snow, wind and jsut down right COLD weather. i just want to hang in here for 10 years buddy. then it's no more working for me. hahaha!!

i don't know HOW ya'll stand it...but if i grew up in it i probably would.
Old 02-16-13, 08:28 PM   #17
Marty

Last I checked, there only a few states, fewer than 10, that had closed seasons. I'll give them the benefit of the doubt and assume they do it because they think it's best for their fisheries.

I don't know what the impetus was behind New York's relaxation to allow catch and release during the closed season.

The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits

Rochester, NY
Marty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-13, 08:59 PM   #18
WatterBoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamabassman View Post
hahahaha, dean i jsut KNEW you would say that. but i tell you...i have a co-worker who is from ohio down here. he said today that it was COLD for him. it's the humidity here that makes it FEEL colder than up there. he told me if it was 29 up there, he would be in shorts and tee shirt...here he is in coveralls. haha!!
I certainly didn't mean to imply that 29 and windy wasn't cold, just that if you lived all your life with winters where it was often below zero, you'd gladly take 29 degrees any day of winter. As for being in shorts and a tee shirt with 29 degrees, I'll assume your co-worker was exaggerating (a lot) to make a point. If he wasn't, he has a standing invite to head up here some time and try it.
Old 02-16-13, 09:16 PM   #19
bamabassman

hahaha, yeah...i also think he was talking outta his rear too dean. he is on his way tomorrow to either north or south carolina.

we got SNOW flurries this evening!! i went to watch my nephew's weigh in after his first tourny of this year (high school bass fishing). and on the way home it started to snow. gonna be 29 in the morning AGAIN, high of 49...still windy. and to top it off, i am getting SICK AGAIN!!! doped up already. lisa is home but i can't even kiss her. i'll probably be leaving monday or tuesday going SOMEWHERE, lol!
Old 02-17-13, 09:54 AM   #20
kennethdaysale

Woke up to this scene out the backdoor. The entire upstate is in full panic mode...expecting an emergency fly-over by Gov. Haley any minute Thought about launching the boat just for the photo ops but with 22 deg and 15 mph winds......nah
Old 02-17-13, 08:49 PM   #21
bamabassman

i could have done with out that picture kenneth, hahahahaha!!!! GOD bless oyu buddy...i HOPE i don't go there when i get shipped out,lol.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.