Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics

Old 11-30-08, 12:18 PM   #1
bcklash
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default Kistler crankbait rods

Has anybody tried the Kistler crankbait rods and what did you think of them? Thanks
Old 11-30-08, 03:54 PM   #2
Basscrazie
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Love mine.
Basscrazie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-08, 04:14 PM   #3
zooker
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

no thanks to much feel....they are a wiffle stick but have too much feel...

zooker
Old 12-01-08, 02:45 PM   #4
Wishing2BFishing

I don't know much about the Heliums but I can give you some comments on the Graphite Plus and Magnesium sticks (I have both).

Regarding the Magnesium rods, they are very light and are a true composite rod (part glass and part graphite). They are not too "whippy" but also they are not too stiff. The action is moderate so you will be able to keep that fish from coming unbuttoned.

I like the Graphite Plus series too. However, you should know that these sticks have some history. To begin with, they are being discontinued. The good thing is you can pick them up on e-bay for 1/2 price. Also, the older Graphite Plus crankin' rods were composite (part glass and part graphite). It is my understanding that the rods produced more recently are mostly graphite.
Wishing2BFishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-08, 02:56 PM   #5
lowrider
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

w2b...so would you reccommend the graphite plus or not? seeing as they are gonna discontinue it, maybe the magnesium would be the better choice. the reason i ask is cause i just happened to put one of on my ho ho list ( see: "another rod thread" from last week)

the only reason the disc status bothers me is what if you have to use the warranty?? i'm def not scared to pay half on ebay!!!

Last edited by lowrider; 12-01-08 at 03:02 PM. Reason: added a comment
lowrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-08, 03:27 PM   #6
Raul

I had a Kistler Mag TS crankbait rod, not that I didn´t like the blank and the way it behaved, I sold it because I hated the reel seat ( Batson crap reel seat ), not a single reel in my arsenal sat tight on it, all had that side to side wobble of a reel seat that allowed too much play.

I suppose that reel seat issue has been corrected now that the rods have Fuji reel seats but I´m not going to spend 180 bones in finding out.
Raul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-08, 03:34 PM   #7
lowrider

the fuji seats on my outlaw rods are fine. the fact that kistler uses those is fine with me
Old 12-02-08, 08:32 PM   #8
Bob Smith

I don't own any, personally, but that may be more because the timing wasn't right. I have several buds in Texas and in Oklahoma that swear by them and have made them the exclusive rod to own. One of the guys is now sponsored by them as well. I have used the rods a couple of times when we fished together and have zero issues with them. I'm not even sure which models I was using, but I was throwing weightless senkos in a moving current situation, and I could not believe how well you could detect the most subtle pickups. They had some great backbone too and handled some real brutes.
Old 12-02-08, 08:42 PM   #9
Wishing2BFishing

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowrider View Post
w2b...so would you reccommend the graphite plus or not? seeing as they are gonna discontinue it, maybe the magnesium would be the better choice. the reason i ask is cause i just happened to put one of on my ho ho list ( see: "another rod thread" from last week)

the only reason the disc status bothers me is what if you have to use the warranty?? i'm def not scared to pay half on ebay!!!
Well if you can get one of the true Graphite Plus Composites (For the Kistler Crank Bait Special line watch the model number - I think the graphite starts KCBS and the composite blank is KCCBS). I believe that I have the all graphite rod but it still does a great job with shallow to medium cranks (DT-4s and DT-6s). The Magnesium is a true composite rod. I don't think you will be disappointed with this rod either and it is not being discontinued.
Old 12-02-08, 08:52 PM   #10
lowrider

i first looked at the kcbs7 on tackle warehouse...but after this i've told santa to step up to the magnesium. i guess it'll be a suprise
Old 12-02-08, 09:29 PM   #11
Wishing2BFishing

Tackle Warehouse is a great place to do business with. They returned one of my broken rods and sent me a new one with no questions asked. I was very satisfied with them.
Old 12-02-08, 10:24 PM   #12
Basscrazie

Kistler's shop is 12 mile from me so i just take to the warehouse and the service is fantastic..IF i step on or just want it checked for damage cause it don't feel right they are always fixed free in a couple days..Nice people to deal with.
Old 12-02-08, 10:30 PM   #13
lowrider

they talk about their "NO Hassle" LIMITED lifetime warranty. exactly what makes it limited? i know with my outlaws ( www.broutlaw.com ) it's a no question policy, send the broken rod and $50 to cover replacement and shipping and you get a new one. and it's for life too. i'd be getting another outlaw but they don't have the crankbait rods done yet. the site list a few but the owner says they aren't quite satisfied with the blanks so they aren't selling them.

Last edited by lowrider; 12-02-08 at 10:33 PM. Reason: addition
Old 12-02-08, 11:48 PM   #14
Basscrazie

That you would have to ask them.I just know i have never had a problem and been using their rods since 2001..
Old 12-03-08, 09:27 AM   #15
hookup
BassFishin.Com Member

I'm not a Kistler fan. Build my own rods and repair many. Kistler uses top notch blanks, but goes cheap on other components.

For that money, go custom.
hookup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-08, 10:00 AM   #16
lowrider

hookup, how bout linking some of those customs...you've mentioned them on 2 threads now.
Old 12-03-08, 10:20 AM   #17
bassboogieman

I have 3 Kistler COMPOSITE Graphite Plus rods, two 7'-0" and one 6'-6". The longer rods are perfect for lipless and shallow divers (down to 6') I use the shorter rod for 8'-10' divers. As W2BF mentioned they have two models of crankbait rods in both the Graphite Plus and Magnesium line - the Composite is a medium/moderate action, the Graphite is a medium/fast action. The only problem with them is that they only come in a medium action. For deep cranks the medium just doesn't do it for me, I want a stiffer blank. If they made one in a MH it would probably serve the needs for deep cranks.
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-08, 10:31 AM   #18
lowrider

i'll be using it for anything like a bandit 100 to down to a 10-12 footer
Old 12-03-08, 11:20 AM   #19
hookup
BassFishin.Com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowrider View Post
hookup, how bout linking some of those customs...you've mentioned them on 2 threads now.
Are you looking for builders or pix of customs?

I build, but only for myself, and the occational buddy that bribes me with beer.

Although I've recently played around with some artsy stuff on rods, mostly build plain jane rods with top end components targeting small mouth bass with very light baits.

I like plain jane because light weight and sensitivity are crucial to my fishing. Split TN handles reduce weight, the lack of marbeling, thread work, or labels and epoxy reduces weight, less weight, top end blank and guides, maximum sensitivity.

Here's an example of what I build and fish with 90% of the time.

The top rod is built on a St. Croix SCV (Legend Elite) blank with Fuji Titaneum Silicone guildes. The bottom is built on a Shikari SHX blank with Fuji Silicone Carbonite guides.

Last edited by hookup; 12-03-08 at 11:22 AM. Reason: clarity
hookup is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.