Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 06-08-05, 11:41 PM   #1
plug
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to plug
Default Hooking gills?

Every once in awhile I hook a fish way down in its gills and blood starts running down its sides. For example: I caught a pretty good size bass awhile back and he just swallowed my rat l trap and it was all hooked in his gills. We went ahead and took him home to eat because we figured he was gonna die anyway. For future refrence I would like to know if it kills them or not? thanks for all of your help!
plug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-05, 11:43 PM   #2
keeb
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Re: Hooking gills?

if u can see the hooks try working it throught the bottom. it kind of hard with treble but single thats what i do.
Old 06-08-05, 11:48 PM   #3
sabass
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to sabass

from what I've read, they're fairly strong, they can easily take knicks and even tears in the gills without a problem.
sabass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-05, 11:49 PM   #4
Bassin_Dude
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Bassin_Dude

if it is not to severly damaged, it will live...just do what ever you can to get the hook out because with hooks today it will kill the bass to leave it in because it will take a long time to corrode.
Bassin_Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-05, 11:50 PM   #5
sumal
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to sumal

i often find fish with torn fins and gills in well fished areas, sometimes the give up less of a fight but are still a thrill to ctach so please give the fish a chance unless its not moving
sumal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-05, 11:51 PM   #6
basshunter205
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to basshunter205

ditto what rod said. Gills are extremely durable, should be fine as long as you don't serious mess them up.
basshunter205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-05, 01:20 AM   #7
bronzebackguy
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to bronzebackguy

If I hook a fish way down in te throat, i will usually cut my line and leave the hook in them, it takes a few days for a hook to rust out,
bronzebackguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-05, 01:29 AM   #8
sabass
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to sabass

actually now that I think about it, I read an old Homer Circle article and he was talking about catching a fish with a gill that had obviously been cut before and was just hanging from the fish. How many gill slits does a bass have? Keep in mind, when you hook one in the gills it still has a fair amount of gill slits absorbing oxegen from the water. Heck us humans can live on half of a single lung, sometimes for years.
sabass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-05, 02:17 AM   #9
Park
BassFishin.Com Member

yeah i think it would be ok, usually the only time a bass wil die is when it is put through a long period of stress. just the other night me and abuddy of mine was fishing and a bass swallowed his popper and we didnt have any pliers withs us so we left the pond after like 5 minutes of trying took it home got it out and took it back to the ond this took at least 15 minutes it was soo crazy when we saw that bass swim away.
Park is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-05, 03:29 PM   #10
Bassin_Dude
BassFishin.Com Member

[quote author=boisebassin link=board=news;num=1118284918;start=0#6 date=06/09/05 at 00:20:33]If I hook a fish way down in te throat, i will usually cut my line and leave the hook in them, it takes a few days for a hook to rust out, [/quote]
if the hook is way down in its throat....go thru the gills...it takes months maybe even years for the hook to rust out....you have to remember with hooks these days
they are made not to corrode. if this is saltwater we were talkin about then yes...a few days, but not freshwater.
Old 06-09-05, 03:39 PM   #11
madmarty
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to madmarty

[quote author=ohio_bass_fisher link=board=news;num=1118284918;start=0#8 date=06/09/05 at 01:17:16] yeah i think it would be ok, usually the only time a bass wil die is when it is put through a long period of stress. just the other night me and abuddy of mine was fishing and a bass swallowed his popper and we didnt have any pliers withs us so we left the pond after like 5 minutes of trying took it home got it out and took it back to the ond this took at least 15 minutes it was soo crazy when we saw that bass swim away. [/quote]

The bass acted fine and swam away but it probably didn't make it for another 24 hours. I've had the same thing happen. Put it in the livewell and it acts just fine. Couple hours later its floating belly up.
madmarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-05, 03:42 PM   #12
Bassin_Dude
BassFishin.Com Member

that would be due to the lactic acid
Old 06-09-05, 03:57 PM   #13
madmarty
BassFishin.Com Member

No 02 I don't tire out small bass because its not nessasary. I've had it happen to small bass many times and other fish in the livewell are just fine.

Old 06-09-05, 04:02 PM   #14
Kevin_T
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Kevin_T

One thing is for sure, if you put the fish back in the water it will have more chances to live than if you take it at home and eat it :
bassfisher: I agree with you but if the hook its really deep and i just cant take out i lcut the line and hope that the fish get lucky and unhook itself. I think it is better than just pull it as hard as you can to unhook IMHO
Kevin_T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-05, 04:07 PM   #15
madmarty
BassFishin.Com Member

[quote author=KalimanMX link=board=news;num=1118284918;start=0#13 date=06/09/05 at 15:02:49]One thing is for sure, if you put the fish back in the water it will have more chances to live than if you take it at home and eat it[/quote]

I couldn't agree more but most fish biologists will tell you it probably died within 24 hours.
Old 06-09-05, 04:21 PM   #16
Bassin_Dude
BassFishin.Com Member

lactic acid is from stress. being in the livewell gives it enough stress to build this up.....killing it. some bass cant handle things as well as others.....small bass may build up faster or big bass may build up faster...i think it depends pretty much on the bass.
Old 06-09-05, 06:32 PM   #17
jerseybass
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to jerseybass

Quote:
if it is not to severly damaged, it will live...just do what ever you can to get the hook out because with hooks today it will kill the bass to leave it in because it will take a long time to corrode.
On that note, I caught a bass one time that had swallowed a hook completely and passed the leader, but the hook was still inside of his "butt"..for lack of a better word.
I really didn't have a clue what to do, so I cut the leader as close to the fish as I could and released him. I hope he lived. :-/
jerseybass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-05, 07:15 PM   #18
Bassin_Dude
BassFishin.Com Member

so there was a leader goin into his mouth, then the hook was coming out of his anal area :-X i would have cut the leader as close to the mouth, then pulled the hook out of his anal area.
Old 06-09-05, 11:31 PM   #19
Kevin_T
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Kevin_T

:-X
Thats a really deep hookset!!!
Kevin_T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-05, 10:25 AM   #20
bearpaw
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to bearpaw

They make a powder that is has fish reliever in it. I've put that stuff in my live wells and after several hours I thought that the bass was gonna eat my hand. Very lively and swam back out with no problems.
bearpaw is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.