Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics

Old 06-09-10, 03:58 PM   #1
Bassboss
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Arrow Kory, Anthony - Making jigs (Jig head, skirt, rattle)?

Hey guys, I'm looking around on TW, and am beginning to think that it's gonna be more economical to make my own jigs. Not starting from scratch though, like pouring my lead and making the skirts. More like buying the jig heads, and than the skirts and rattles. And assembling them from there!

Having a bit of a hard time finding some good stuff though.

I wanna get a jig head that's 1/4oz or less, has a good hook, as long it wont rust, and is sharp enough. It's also gotta be able to come though grass well - NO FOOTBALL HEADS! I'd like to find a good Arkie head as well.

I like the colors of Naked Bait Starflash skirts, and I like the fact they're round rubber. Omega Replacement Skirts are also nice, love the colors!!

They've also got the little bands on them to add Skirts Unlimited Jig Rattles. How do those stay in place though during a fight?

I may have this all wrong, and if I do, please tell me! What components do you make you jig makers have in your jigs?
Old 06-09-10, 09:25 PM   #2
rrw4258
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Boss, check out Jann's Netcraft for lure making stuff... their service is top notch!

http://www.jannsnetcraft.com/

Ryan
Old 06-09-10, 10:09 PM   #3
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrw4258 View Post
Boss, check out Jann's Netcraft for lure making stuff... their service is top notch!

http://www.jannsnetcraft.com/

Ryan

Yep, that's where I get all my stuff. Being 15 minutes away makes it convenient too!

BB
Old 06-10-10, 01:25 AM   #4
carolina-rig-01

Our heads are custom poured by the same company that pours for all of the huge companies, so I can't really help you there unless you decide to get into pouring your own and I would look at Do-it molds.

As for skirt material, we buy our stuff from the same place that Blake at Naked Bait co. gets his stuff. Blake is a good dude and if you order from him tell him that Kory Johnson sent you.
Old 06-10-10, 08:00 AM   #5
Bassboss

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina-rig-01 View Post
Our heads are custom poured by the same company that pours for all of the huge companies, so I can't really help you there unless you decide to get into pouring your own and I would look at Do-it molds.

As for skirt material, we buy our stuff from the same place that Blake at Naked Bait co. gets his stuff. Blake is a good dude and if you order from him tell him that Kory Johnson sent you.
Sure, Good deal!

I would I call by phone or online?
Old 06-10-10, 08:31 AM   #6
Mac2
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Also check out leadfreejigheads.com and see if they make any you need. I like the black chrome nickel hooks made in the sicle style. They also feature Gamakatsu hooks on some of their jigs. I've tied a lot of jigs using their materials and have had absolutely no problems with any of their products. You also can talk directly to the proprietor, Keith Okimoto via email should you have any questions. Great products and great service.
Mac2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-10, 09:26 AM   #7
Bassboss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac2 View Post
Also check out leadfreejigheads.com and see if they make any you need. I like the black chrome nickel hooks made in the sicle style. They also feature Gamakatsu hooks on some of their jigs. I've tied a lot of jigs using their materials and have had absolutely no problems with any of their products. You also can talk directly to the proprietor, Keith Okimoto via email should you have any questions. Great products and great service.
Darn... no jigs with any kind of fiber guard? That kinda sucks. They look like cool jig heads though.. them spoon heads look SWEET!
Old 06-10-10, 11:15 PM   #8
Rebbasser

BB, this is where I get all my spinnerbait and jig components:

http://lurepartsonline.com/cart.html
Old 06-11-10, 09:44 AM   #9
Bassboss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebbasser View Post
BB, this is where I get all my spinnerbait and jig components:

http://lurepartsonline.com/cart.html
Sweet! Love the shape of those heads, I also like the option of adding a clear guard.. very nice! I wish the had smaller packs though!
Old 06-11-10, 02:04 PM   #10
Rebbasser

BB, I guarantee no matter how many you buy you will not have bought enough. I started making my own jigs about a year ago and never seem to have enough.

They have some really great skirt colors, too. I started buying the skirt pads assembling them myself and have come up with some really sharp-and strange-color combos that work well.

When I get a chance I'll post some of my new "creations", both spinnerbaits and jigs.
Old 06-11-10, 03:59 PM   #11
Bassboss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebbasser View Post
BB, I guarantee no matter how many you buy you will not have bought enough. I started making my own jigs about a year ago and never seem to have enough.

They have some really great skirt colors, too. I started buying the skirt pads assembling them myself and have come up with some really sharp-and strange-color combos that work well.

When I get a chance I'll post some of my new "creations", both spinnerbaits and jigs.
Sweet red! I don't that that I looked at the skirts the first time! They really look sharp!

And do you hand tie or use a rubber band?
Old 06-11-10, 04:52 PM   #12
Bassboss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassboss View Post
Sweet red! I don't that that I looked at the skirts the first time! They really look sharp!

I just looked a little more out the site, found some SWEET deals! 50% stuff. Put together a cart, of heads (these awesome weedless heads, and some nice Arkie's), rattle pods, and skirts. I think I'll hand tie them since I've done it before and used to tie flies when I was board!

I've got the cash, so ifn I get the OK from my pops, I'll send it though have 'em send it on over!

Thanks allot of the site reb... I'm sure I'll hate you later for it though!
Old 06-11-10, 05:13 PM   #13
Jim80
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

You know the rule of thumb about sending all the members samples when you are done right ?

Jim
Old 06-11-10, 05:22 PM   #14
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

Quote:
I've got the cash, so...
so...

I had to do it since Bryce hasn't yet.

BB
Old 06-11-10, 05:44 PM   #15
Bassboss

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBassin144 View Post
so...

I had to do it since Bryce hasn't yet.

BB
lol no! but close!

I'll give you a hint!

This

And

All of that (among other things)

This

Doncha just wish you had the folded arms head shaking guy from the chat room!
Old 06-11-10, 11:05 PM   #16
Rebbasser

Quote:

I use the rubber band type collar. I got one of these:

http://www.nakedbaitco.com/skirtexp.html

and it makes skirt making extremely easy. This tool also allows you to add just 1 or 2 strands of a color if you want to.
Old 06-12-10, 12:19 AM   #17
carolina-rig-01

We use Naked Bait co skirt expanders too and they are awesome. They make skirt building a breeze, especailly when you are making them with as many strands as we do.

And if you order from Blake I would try calling him and seeing if you can order that way, he might have some other ideas that could help you out.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.