Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Casual Fishing Discussions & Novice Questions

Old 01-08-11, 03:16 PM   #51
Garry2rs
BassFishin.Com Active Member

There was nothing wrong with this thread until post #7 when some whack-job decided to flame it.
Garry2rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-11, 03:23 PM   #52
Ebbetsguy

Hey Sir, don't bother , use the ignore function , excellent feature.
Ebbetsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-11, 03:33 PM   #53
Tavery5
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garry2rs View Post
There was nothing wrong with this thread until post #7 when some whack-job decided to flame it.

Garry, I think maybe you feel this way because he was the first person in the thread to disagree with your opinions. I went back and read the thread a few times today, it started to become a little personal in posts before post #7.

In my opinion satire is based on a foundation of wit, something that most all of us do not have enough of to be effective, or funny with its particular style. So it is often misunderstood an results in these types of situations. Unfortunate and regretable......
Tavery5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-11, 05:36 PM   #54
BigBassin144
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

Quote:
whack-job, lol. If you'd like to resort to childish name calling, that's fine by me. I'll just forget this thread... I'm about done with you anyways.

You should consider what you're doing before you go bad-mouthing a member of this board who has been here longer than you and has much more respect from the members of this forum than you. And I'm sure any respect anyone had for you is slowly diminishing.

I don't believe this thread was meant to be a joke at all. In fact, it was a compilation of a few of your previous pointless posts in others' good threads. So I assume it was either a plea for attention or it was you trying to start an argument. If you were looking for more attention or to start an argument by combining all of your previous post in one thread, you succeeded, congratulations.

As another member put it, I think you fear falling behind and so feel the need to bad-mouth and criticize these things you don't understand. Like I said in my first post, if you fear them or simply don't like them, then don't use them. But please, don't whimper and whine to us about it.

You make a post, arguing your side of an issue (badly arguing, I might add, since you never once stated any reasons why you're against any of these thing, just that you are), and when you get any opposition, you refuse to stand by your opinion and blow the whole post off as you were trying to make a joke that no one but you understood. You want a one sided argument where everyone agrees with you. Well guess what, not everyone is going to agree with you. And even if you were to acknowledge the fact that there are other opinions than yours, I know you'd be too narrow-minded and stubborn to view them as anything but drivel.

As far as I'm concerned, Garry with 2 r's, you are a troll.

BB
Old 01-09-11, 01:12 PM   #55
tim4081

"In satire, vices, follies, abuses, and shortcomings are held up to ridicule, ideally with the intent of shaming individuals, and society itself, into improvement."

The above is from the definition of satire in wikepedia. IMHO, this forum is intended to share information for all of us to improve our fishing skills and, as a side benefit, to form digital and/or in person friendships with those who share a common interest. It should not be a place for ridicule or shaming others. Just my two cents.
tim4081 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-11, 03:55 PM   #56
Garry2rs

There is no ridicule of anybody in my post.

I poked fun at the tackle industry for recycling old designs and telling us they are "new" and for promoting high-priced alternatives that might be of questionable value.

In the end, I also poked fun at myself by admitting that I buy these high priced items and justify it by saying my fish are so much smarter than anyone else's.

If this was threatening, or insulting to anyone, please let me now explain that my fish aren't really smarter than your...You see...It's a joke on me for thing they are!

I'm sorry that things got out of hand but I had no part in that.

This is a slow time of year for most fishermen and I thought a little fishing humour might be entertaining. In fact I made this same post on another board where it generated about 50 humorous replies.

The fact that another group got the joke indicates to me that the fault wasn't in the original text.

The only explanation, that I can see, is that some people might need to take themselves a little less seriously.
Garry2rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-11, 05:09 PM   #57
carolina-rig-01

Quote:
There is no ridicule of anybody in my post.

I poked fun at the tackle industry for recycling old designs and telling us they are "new" and for promoting high-priced alternatives that might be of questionable value.

In the end, I also poked fun at myself by admitting that I buy these high priced items and justify it by saying my fish are so much smarter than anyone else's.

If this was threatening, or insulting to anyone, please let me now explain that my fish aren't really smarter than your...You see...It's a joke on me for thing they are!

This is a slow time of year for most fishermen and I thought a little fishing humour might be entertaining. In fact I made this same post on another board where it generated about 50 humorous replies.

The fact that another group got the joke indicates to me that the fault wasn't in the original text.

The only explanation, that I can see, is that some people might need to take themselves a little less seriously.
I think that this post should be coming to an end soon, we have all had our chance to say what we had to say and it's just beating a dead horse now. However I will say this.

I don't think that your original post was the root cause for this train wreck. I believe it took that turn around post #3 where a member ridiculed anyone who bought into high tech tackle. I don't want to put words in anyones mouth but his post came across in a way that suggested that people with high end tackle only have it as a status symbol or to brag about it because there is no way that it is any better than stuff from decades past. His post was as close minded as any post I have ever seen and just like the rest of his post, he manages to come across in a way that says "I am right about everything that comes out of my mouth and every statement that comes out of my mouth is not open for debate becauase it is a fact", or atleast that's how the impression I got from reading several of his post on several other threads. I will admit that I think this thread went south not only because of the opinions about the subject at hand but also because the way that this member comes across in other threads just caught up with him in this thread and it happened to claim your thread as a casualty. This member also went on to complain about how things go on this site as if he was forced to be here or something which I think is another thing that stirred up a hornets nest.

I think this has gone on long enough and there have been plenty of toes stepped on. Lets lay this thing to rest once and for all.
Old 01-09-11, 05:22 PM   #58
Bubba_Bruiser

Send a message via MSN to Bubba_Bruiser

Famous quote:
Click image for larger version

Name:	rodney king.JPG
Views:	255
Size:	410.2 KB
ID:	6115
Old 01-09-11, 05:57 PM   #59
Ebbetsguy

I have blocked Carolina Rig out with the ignore button, someone here asked me to unblock and read what has been written here and I did. I don't want to carry this further , but there are some mis_ quotes and bad ideas, being directed at me.
Mr. Carolina I DID NOT STATE NOR DO I BELIEVE ANOYONE"S WORTH TI TIED INTO WHAT EQUIPMENT THEY USE< GOT THAT? That was your guttural response to what was written, you took it personally and directly attacked me, I HAD ATTACKED NO ONE, but I disagree that what amounts to a lot of merchandising can make any of us better fishermen. BETTER FISHERMEN ARE CREATED BY TIME ON THE WATER, of which we all have.

Let me please straighten a few things out here, I was here as Muddy and I messed up. I also was put out there by wrong and inflammatory remarks I made via PM, I was wrong for the part but some like Mississippi Boy, put those remarks on open forum, whose fault was that, who caused the inflammation there? I did not put that crap, WRONG IN THE FIRST PART BY ME. onto oprn forum.Why are there times here when there are things allowed to be said , in a heard mentality , by long term members, does post count by immunity

Since I have been back, I tried to get a couple of friends who frequent NYbass.co and BassPro.com, to start to come here, Bama, Bubba, Tavery, NO Fear, Keith and Harvey made me feel welcome and have a lot to offer. So they start reading and BB 114 ( hope I got that right) posts" Basspro.com is just a joke of a forum", they opted out, If I said something like that or some of the other admonishing posts that go on here, I would be banned
Carolina; That is not what I said , nor what I meant, If I mean something I state it with clarity and strength, thats not arrogance, that’s from years of loving and participating in this sport. I have done much to get others involved in it, and have fished many waters, in many states, so whether you like it or not I know what I am talking about
I do not bash others buying or using what they do, it's there money they worked for it, I feel so strongly that the Pro Circuit has BECOME ( notice Become, it did not start that way) a shill for a lot of unneeded and ridiculous products. Ray Scott is a brilliant sales man, he found a way to put his hand out between weekend guys making a bet, and then he created an incredible marketing platform, it's taught as a model in some schools gentlemen
There is nothing I can do about the past, I have said I am sorry and I only can do what I can do today and try to be a good citizen on this forum. I know what I know, I earned that knowledge and I apologize to no one for stating it, I can not tell you how many of the posts here I don’t feel are right, strongly feel are not right and I let those go, no need to get emotional over fishing. I am here to stay , unless the owner asks me to leave, I WANT TO STAY> if you don’t like that, please use the ignore function, it has helped me deal with those I would rather not tangle with. I want this to put an end to this, I did not enjoy, nor should I stand for the type of arrogant attack, that Carolina put on me , for something he thinks I meant personally to some of you guys over equipment, if not himself directly. It was my disdain for a lot of the fishing world thinking you can buy success, why would you want instant success, and loose time on the water, which for me is second only to time spent with family.
I am sorry for how this thread went I am sorry for not PMing Carolina,, which did not seem to work here before I am not sorry for being me, if you really don't like me, and I am the subject of " a lot of the talk of a lot of PM's and chat room" hope you all have fun with that. I am grateful for the fellas I have made friends with here, and have no desire to leave. Sorry how I showed up here as Muddy, I have said that, and never will say it again, move on!. I am not sorry for who I am now and my recent participation,

Last edited by Ebbetsguy; 01-09-11 at 06:06 PM.
Ebbetsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-11, 06:13 PM   #60
carolina-rig-01

Like I said earlier, it's time for this train wreck to end. I could very easily humor you and continue this arguement further but as far as I am concerned that would be only get us as far as the several previous post have got us.

It's over, keep me blocked with ignore if you want doesn't matter to me. But I would think that there is room on this site for both of us to co-exist without stepping on each others toes all the time, in fact that is the only reason I haven't ignored you.
Old 01-09-11, 06:25 PM   #61
Tavery5

I just want to say that I have taken the time to read this thread a number of times. I am not sure why I felt like it was somewhat intended to inflame a few members of this site. I will say this, I am over it, I have read the explanations of what was intended, and I will accept it for that. If I have offended anyone or said anything that anyone took personally, please accept my apology.
I enjoy this site allot, and I think this thread has kinda given all of us a black eye. I hope that we can all find a way to let this go and press on with the sharing of great information.
Old 01-09-11, 09:50 PM   #62
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

Quote:

Taking into consideration the few posts you made before making this "joke," I have a hard time seeing how this is a joke. You clearly stated your opinion on faster gear ratios and your opinions on fluorocarbon. Now you put those together into a post claiming it's a joke. I don't see the humor in it.

I see sense in arguing with you anymore as you're never wrong.

Kevin needs to lock this train wreck of a thread.

BB
Old 01-09-11, 09:51 PM   #63
nofearengineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBassin144 View Post

Kevin needs to lock this train wreck of a thread.

BB
He also needs to add a popcorn emoticon so I can sit back and watch while you guys argue this to death.
Old 01-09-11, 10:11 PM   #64
bcklash

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofearengineer View Post
He also needs to add a popcorn emoticon so I can sit back and watch while you guys argue this to death.
I could eat some of that popcorn myself
Old 01-09-11, 10:44 PM   #65
Tavery5

When I eat popcorn I always go with Orville Redenbacher's Sweet and Savory line, either the Kettle Corn or the Caramel. It pops lighter and fluffier than most brands and has fewer unpoped kernels. Besides that it just tastes better.
Old 01-09-11, 10:47 PM   #66
carolina-rig-01

Quote:
It was argued to death a few days back, now it's just beating a dead horse. We all want this thing to end but we all also keep posting on it, and keeping it up towards the top of the page. I am just as guilty as anyone about that but if we would just avoid the temptation of trying to get in the last word, realize that neither side is going to admit any fault, accept it for what it is, and just stop posting in this disaster of a thread then soon enough it would be gone and forgotten.
Old 01-09-11, 10:50 PM   #67
Tavery5

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina-rig-01 View Post
It was argued to death a few days back, now it's just beating a dead horse. We all want this thing to end but we all also keep posting on it, and keeping it up towards the top of the page. I am just as guilty as anyone about that but if we would just avoid the temptation of trying to get in the last word, realize that neither side is going to admit any fault, accept it for what it is, and just stop posting in this disaster of a thread then soon enough it would be gone and forgotten.

So what kind of popcorn do you like Kory?
Old 01-09-11, 10:55 PM   #68
carolina-rig-01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tavery5 View Post
So what kind of popcorn do you like Kory?
LOL doesn't really matter as long as it has a lot of butter
Old 01-09-11, 11:02 PM   #69
nofearengineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina-rig-01 View Post
LOL doesn't really matter as long as it has a lot of butter
I tell you what...butter these days sucks. It's all marketing and fancy packaging. Give me some old-school, straight out of the cow butter, and that's all there is.
Old 01-09-11, 11:28 PM   #70
tim4081

Quote:
I tell you what...butter these days sucks. It's all marketing and fancy packaging. Give me some old-school, straight out of the cow butter, and that's all there is.
Now thats great satire....thanks
tim4081 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-11, 12:17 AM   #71
Bubba_Bruiser

Send a message via MSN to Bubba_Bruiser

Let me do the honors men.
Name:  padlock.jpg
Views: 340
Size:  2.9 KB
Let this be covered & move on. 1 life to live. There is enough room for everyone + 1.
Old 01-10-11, 06:49 PM   #72
Bill M

All I know is I stick with some of my old favs and my wife kicks my tail off the back of my boat with a senko, go figure
Bill M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-11, 01:53 AM   #73
Brwnbass
BassFishin.Com Member

Ok guys, im new here & dont understand the bashing of new products & people that use or endorse them. I use mainly BPS stuff, rods & reels, & they have great stuff at lower prices, but still better than average. I use & love florocarbon line, it can make a big difference on a deep, clear lake that is highly pressured. As far as the baits go, i agree that many are way overpriced. I have a little bit of evrything from all different ranges & can say, some work, some dont. But you cant be afraid to try new things, or get stuck in the same old routine.
Old 01-12-11, 02:41 AM   #74
TN_Bassin

Quote:
"Don't talk to me, I'm on my popcorn break."

Sorry Kory, had to bump it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Badger.jpg
Views:	334
Size:	11.1 KB
ID:	6136  

Last edited by TN_Bassin; 01-12-11 at 03:57 AM.
TN_Bassin is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.