Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 03-02-11, 10:30 AM   #1
KTurmel
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Line colors

what is the point of the clear/blue fluorescent colored line?
KTurmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-11, 10:47 AM   #2
bassboogieman
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

It glows under black light, for night fishing.
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-11, 11:43 AM   #3
BigBassin144
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassboogieman View Post
It glows under black light, for night fishing.
Yep, it's also easier to see in daylight as well.

BB
Old 03-02-11, 12:39 PM   #4
Jrob78

I use clear/fluorescent more than anything else. I like the daytime visibility and frankly, it's just what I have always used.
Old 03-02-11, 03:47 PM   #5
walkeraviator

I like the blue lines, but they are getting harder to find. Most of teh newer lines dont even come in that color. I will say night fishing is a billion times easier with black light reactive line...
walkeraviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-11, 01:39 PM   #6
james86
BassFishin.Com Active Member

I use high vis neon yellow all the time lol
james86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-11, 07:03 PM   #7
Bassboss
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

It helps YOU see the line, but the fish still can't see it like they sometimes can with a lime green or orange line. Clear blue is a great line color, if you're a line watcher, it's great, especially for fishing jigs. Being able to watch your line means you'll get more bites, you can see the line "hop", or move, which means their's a fish on the other end!
Old 03-03-11, 07:55 PM   #8
fish2

Send a message via AIM to fish2

why do they make all different line colors to begin with? Is there really a purpose to all the different selections of lines?
Old 03-05-11, 07:58 PM   #9
Bob Smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by fish2 View Post
why do they make all different line colors to begin with? Is there really a purpose to all the different selections of lines?
Now here is a thought provoking question!!! Well Done! Now we will some interesting answers for sure..
Personally, I have to think that the different colors are more for the fishermen/women than the fish. I tend to use moss green mono most of the time simply because it sounds right to me. Since I am not a fish and when i stick my face in the water I am pretty danged sure I don't see things the same way a fish does.
Now when you start talking about braid vs mono vs flouro, it's all about sensitivity and durability (but that's another topic).
MY 2 cents and I'm sticking with it!
Old 03-06-11, 01:57 AM   #10
AtticaFish
BassFishin.Com Member

There was an interesting article in the latest In-Fisherman mag about catch rates using gill nets of different colors. Got to dig around, can't seem to find it for some reason or i would give more details from the study.

I have the general idea that the color of line IS for the fisherman, NOT the fish. The fish sometimes bite on flo. chart. and orange lures with sharp pointy things coming out of them for pete's sake!!! Better visibilty of the line when fishing slower baits (weightless plastics & jigs) is always helpful, you can 'see' those pick-ups and ticks in the line when you don't have contact with the bait.

Now... super clear water is a different story. No matter what, i always downsize my line weight using slower baits and would prefer clear line. Cranks and reaction lures - it just doesn't matter what line you use IMO.
AtticaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-11, 07:38 AM   #11
walkeraviator

The only thing i have seen that would contribute to the line color argumant is that as you go deeper in water, Red colors are the first things filtered out. So using Red line may have some advantage. I for one basically use line color to identify my lines. All my 12lb mono is clear, 10lb mono is green, and am looking at the new BPS Gold for my Flouro. That way its easy for me to see what is on my reels when my brain forgets.
walkeraviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-11, 05:31 AM   #12
smittyman
BassFishin.Com Member

Walkeraviator, that just seriously impressed me! I love that idea so much, especially since I'm on the side that color truly doesn't matter to the fish. I don't use any neons, but clear, clear blue, and greens are all invisible to fish either way so why not use the colors for your own personal reasons. Walker, you just got me using your method. I love it.
Old 03-10-11, 07:05 PM   #13
Lvitch

"The only thing i have seen that would contribute to the line color argumant is that as you go deeper in water, Red colors are the first things filtered out. So using Red line may have some advantage."

It's more of a marketing ploy, Red dosen't disappear like they say, it just looks gray. but it does make rod selection quick n easy. I had someone give me some, and I couldn't catch fish on it, switched to clear and the bite was on. wierd. havent used it since.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.