Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics

Old 05-24-11, 01:10 PM   #1
Goosed
BassFishin.Com Member

Default PQ vs PQT

I own a PQT and I'm really happy with it. Right now the PQ is the same price as the PQT. If you guy's were buying one right now, which reel would you go with. Am I sacrificing weight for the power of the regular PQ?
Goosed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-11, 01:23 PM   #2
rrw4258
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

The PQ has brass gears while the PQT features duralumin gears, worm gear, and crankshaft. The weight of the PQ is 8.8 oz. while the PQT is 7.1 onuces... 1.7 ounces is quite a bit of weight when it comes to a reel. I have quite a few of the PQT reels and they have served me very well and have held up very well. The PQ is avilable in 4.7:1, 5.2:1, 6.4:1, and 7.1:1. The PQT is only avilable in 6.4:1. So if your needing a faster or slower reel, then yes by all means go with the PQ, but if a 6.4:1 will work, definetly go with the PQT.

Ryan
Old 05-24-11, 02:59 PM   #3
pro reel
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrw4258 View Post
The PQ has brass gears while the PQT features duralumin gears, worm gear, and crankshaft. The weight of the PQ is 8.8 oz. while the PQT is 7.1 onuces... 1.7 ounces is quite a bit of weight when it comes to a reel. I have quite a few of the PQT reels and they have served me very well and have held up very well. The PQ is avilable in 4.7:1, 5.2:1, 6.4:1, and 7.1:1. The PQT is only avilable in 6.4:1. So if your needing a faster or slower reel, then yes by all means go with the PQ, but if a 6.4:1 will work, definetly go with the PQT.

Ryan
I agree. Ryan summed it up.
pro reel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-11, 12:18 AM   #4
Lvitch
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Imo , the PQ is a lot more reel that the PQT. I was going to trade a couple of older citicas for PQT's, after trying them I said no thanks. To me the PQT feels cheap compared to the the PQ, or even the extremes. I would go with the PQ or the RC 's.
Old 05-25-11, 09:09 AM   #5
DVT Mike
BassFishin.Com Active Member

1.7 oz is almost a 20% weight reduction. That's substantial. As suggested, if the 6.4:1 works for you, go with the PQT
Old 05-25-11, 03:17 PM   #6
Bassboss
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrw4258 View Post

Ryan
Which one is better? I know some spools are mabe of duralumin, so it must be pretty light, so does it offer the same strenght and power as brass gears in the PQ.
Old 05-25-11, 09:26 PM   #7
rrw4258

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassboss View Post
Which one is better? I know some spools are mabe of duralumin, so it must be pretty light, so does it offer the same strenght and power as brass gears in the PQ.
From my understanding it is supposed to be 20% lighter and stronger than brass. The gearing is top notch on the PQT reels, as I know that the gears from the JM Gold and the gears from a Revo Premier reel will swap right in place in the PQT. I have had mine for right around a year now, and they have been used pretty hard (probably 200+ trips) and they have held up absolutley great... my used ones are smoother than a new one. So to me it seems that reels with the aluminum gears stay smoother longer, IMO. So far there looks to be no signs of wear that I can tell (by look and feel).

Maybe proreel can chime in, if he has some more info on duralumin gears vs. brass.

Ryan
Old 05-28-11, 08:34 PM   #8
carolina-rig-01
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

My wife started fishing tournaments with me this year so rather than sharing all my rods and reels while in a tournament we went and bought her some of her own. I dropped her off at the reel counter in Bass Pro and told her to pick out 3 or 4 that felt good to her and I would be back later to look them over. She ended up getting the PQT's and being a Revo guy myself I was expecting them to feel cheap. I honestly was suprised, they are very smooth and cast really well. My dad has one or two of the regular PQ's and they are a good feeling reel as well. They both feel about the same to me so I would say the true difference may be in the test of time. So far I can't say anything bad about either one.
carolina-rig-01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-11, 10:36 PM   #9
MississippiBoy

I'm glad to hear all the good things about the PQ's (man, that's a ton easier to type than Pro Qualifier. I'm glad I didn't have to spend all that time typing all those lett................... dammit .........). I have a new to me 7'6" flipping rod I need a high speed reel for, and the PQ (didn't get me that time!!!! BWAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHHA!!!!!) sounds like a good choice. And it's on sale for $80 right now.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.