Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Casual Fishing Discussions & Novice Questions

Old 02-26-13, 04:01 PM   #1
Strike_King 609
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default looking for some clarity

i just picked up a new duckett rod 7'6 heavy with a new quantum exo pt
6:6.1 reel put 30 pound powerpro braid i intend to uses this for swimbaits

kvd tour 5:3.1 on a 7ft st croix using it as my crankbait rod with 12 pound fluro

7:3.1 Kvd tour burner on a vendetta 7'3 rod use it mostly for jigs and frogs has 30 pound powerpro braid

i have been doing some looking around and cant come up with a straight answer some say a longer pole is better for cranks some say a shorter any insight on the matter would be great

so my question is if you had these rods and reels how would you set them up and with what size line fishing mostly central jersey waters and the river [smilie=throw.gif]
Old 02-26-13, 04:30 PM   #2
Tavery5
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Typically along with length, power and action are used to help make a decision on what a particular rod may excel at. If you can provide that information it may help with educated answers.

For crankbait fishing, there are times when both longer and shorter rods may excel. Longer rods are good for long casting deeper diving cranks to provide them an opportunity to reach max depth and remain in the that zone for longer periods of time. Shorter rods offer increased accuracy with casting and make good rods for casting med and shallow running cranks to cover.

Again, use power and action, along with length to help determine what rod is best for your particular fishing style and need.
Old 02-26-13, 05:36 PM   #3
lilmule

Hes right cant very well use same rod for dd22 and ledge fishing as say a bandit 100.
There is no one rod for it all.
lilmule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-13, 08:14 PM   #4
keithdog
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tavery5 View Post
Typically along with length, power and action are used to help make a decision on what a particular rod may excel at. If you can provide that information it may help with educated answers.

For crankbait fishing, there are times when both longer and shorter rods may excel. Longer rods are good for long casting deeper diving cranks to provide them an opportunity to reach max depth and remain in the that zone for longer periods of time. Shorter rods offer increased accuracy with casting and make good rods for casting med and shallow running cranks to cover.

Again, use power and action, along with length to help determine what rod is best for your particular fishing style and need.
Dangit, you stole my answer!!! haha
Old 02-26-13, 08:20 PM   #5
Tavery5

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithdog View Post
Dangit, you stole my answer!!! haha

Great minds think alike!

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.