Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 05-20-10, 07:27 PM   #1
cassidyta
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default Finesse Jigs

I was looking at jigs today and realized that I have never used a finesse jig. I am curious what makes them finesse and why you would use them and how.

Thanks
Old 05-20-10, 07:35 PM   #2
carolina-rig-01
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

They are considered "finesse" based mostly on their size because the most common sizes in them are 3/16 and 5/16, other sizes do exist but these are most common. Also aside from the size of the heads the smaller profile from the skirt is another factor that makes them "finesse". I use these jigs a ton, probably 75% of the time. I like them so much because they can be used for a wide variety of things. I flip and pitch them (the round head allows them to come through a lot of brush and much better than most people realize), cast them (football heads are great in rocks but once again the roundhead finess jig comes through rocks extremely well), and I also use these jigs out on points and ledges in deeper water when I want a smaller profile (I use them in tandem here with a football jig to catch a few extra fish that may not have bitten the football jig).
Old 05-20-10, 07:39 PM   #3
cassidyta

Thanks C-rig.
Old 05-20-10, 07:41 PM   #4
toppwatr
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Finesse jigs I find great whenever I am not flipping or in heavy cover. I like to pitch them up under trees or steep banks. Definetly give some a try they are pretty cool. I use the all terrain ones but have been meaning to buy some of those AWESOME looking ikes finesse jigs on tackle warehouse. They look nice......
toppwatr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-10, 11:41 PM   #5
Bender

A lot of people think that a finesse jig just has that spider looking skirt on the front. Just take a pair of scissors and cut off the skirt about 3/8" in front of the collar if you want that look.

I think that it really just means a smaller profile. In the one jig that I pour the normal size calls for a 3/0 hook. To make is smaller you can use a 2/0 hook which is a lot shorter. Then make a little bit lighter skirt. A great off the shelf jig I would consider a finesse jig is a 1/8oz. Strike King Bitsy Bug. Over the years one of my friends has caught a TON of fish on that.
Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-10, 08:11 AM   #6
walkeraviator

I lik ethe Jewel Spider Jig and Ekins Jig. BUt I am a noob at Jig fishin at this point. I will say that I have yet to catch a single fish on a normal big jig but have caught quite a few at Barren on the Jewel Spider Jig with Jewel Ekins trailer.

Trailer is another consideration in a finesse jig. From what i have learned three things make a finesse Jig

1. Smaller Profile (shorter skirt yes, but also smaller trailer)
2. Slower Fall (smaller weights)
3. Less action (use trailers without the big flappy claws..)

It seems from my research online that finesse jigs are for cold water or slow days. They should be fished very slow just like finesse wormin...

But again, al information is second hand, so take it for what ot is worth.
walkeraviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-10, 06:05 PM   #7
Cavs1123

They are just smaller. I would fish them slow with small hops. I like the Stacey King Finesse Jig from BPS.
Old 05-22-10, 05:58 PM   #8
Rebbasser
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

They have a smaller profile which makes them "finesse". I throw them most in clear water, which most of the lakes around here have. My favorite is the Strike Works finesse jig.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.