Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 02-03-10, 12:59 AM   #26
Rebbasser
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

I use tungsten for 95% of my weighted soft plastics. the only place I don't is for pitching/flipping. One reason is because I don't pitch/flip much and when I do it is usually a jig. The other reason is cost. $5 for a 1-oz. sinker is way more that I will pay.

I really like tungsten for T-rigging. I can feel bites better than with lead. At least I believe I can, which means I can.
Old 02-03-10, 07:32 AM   #27
danielbasspro
BassFishin.Com Active Member

I love tungsten it's all I use. They're sensitive, small, and the paint hasn't chipped on me yet. I like the bass pro shops tungsten. The ones I use the most are the big flippin weights with a screw in head.
Old 02-03-10, 09:23 AM   #28
Bassboss

I've used both, and honestly, I notice no major difference at all! I'll be fine with using lead for the rest of life thank you very much!

well... the only time I would use tungsten again is if I was pitching thick grass mats, but only because of it's low profile!
Old 02-03-10, 12:21 PM   #29
CamG
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

I use Tungsten. The feel and profile is far superior, and really I may lose one weight per outting. My hooks cost more than the weights do.
CamG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-10, 02:18 AM   #30
mitshaw
BassFishin.Com Member

i have switched over to tungsten weights and i love them. i like their low profile and sensitivity. from what i have reasearched bass pro seems to have the cheapest packaged tungsten weights unless you want to buy in bulk then go to bulktungsten.com

Last edited by mitshaw; 02-04-10 at 02:38 AM.
mitshaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-10, 02:28 AM   #31
Jrob78
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Quote:
I use Tungsten. The feel and profile is far superior, and really I may lose one weight per outting. My hooks cost more than the weights do.
Good grief! What kind of hooks are you using? Trokar hooks are the most expensive bass hooks I know of and they are like $10 for a 4-7 pack depending on size.
Jrob78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-10, 09:20 AM   #32
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamG View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrob78 View Post
Good grief! What kind of hooks are you using? Trokar hooks are the most expensive bass hooks I know of and they are like $10 for a 4-7 pack depending on size.
At an average of 2 bucks a hook, the Trokar's would be my guess too.

BB
Old 02-04-10, 08:34 PM   #33
bamabassman

Poor man here, still using lead.
Old 02-04-10, 08:51 PM   #34
CamG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrob78 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBassin144 View Post
At an average of 2 bucks a hook, the Trokar's would be my guess too.

BB
Yes. I don't understand what the big deal is really? My weights are 1.25 and my hooks are 2.00, so with a soft plastic on I have around 3.50 invested. I lose more jigs that I do T-Rigged plastics, and jigs are at least 3.50, with some up around 5.00.

So, why is there a cost issue here? I personally think that the Trokar hooks are the finest hooks ever made, and are scary sharp.
CamG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-10, 12:11 AM   #35
screwballl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassboss View Post
I've used both, and honestly, I notice no major difference at all! I'll be fine with using lead for the rest of life thank you very much!

Well... the only time I would use tungsten again is if I was pitching thick grass mats, but only because of it's low profile!
Same here... in my case, I really see no use for the price premium when I get the same performance, or use the hooks with weight already added such as ones for soft swimbaits.
screwballl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-10, 11:48 PM   #36
BeaverIslander

I like tungsten but it's too expensive for me to completely switch over from lead. I mainly use tungsten when pitching heavy soft plastics to slop mats, where the smaller profile of the sinker makes a big difference.
BeaverIslander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-10, 11:58 PM   #37
fishin spro

Tungsten here. far more sensitive and low profile.
Old 02-12-10, 08:19 PM   #38
muddy

Lead, except if I am fishing in California, it seems to cause cancer there. Actually water seems to cause cancer in California

sorry Cass>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>NAH!!!!!
muddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-10, 03:00 PM   #39
fish_hunter
BassFishin.Com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamG View Post
So, why is there a cost issue here? I personally think that the Trokar hooks are the finest hooks ever made, and are scary sharp.
I completely agree...definitely worth the price when it comes to Trokar! Have you used the Flippin Hook? Best hood product ever made!
fish_hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-10, 03:07 PM   #40
Bassboss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassboss View Post

well... the only time I would use tungsten again is if I was pitching thick grass mats, but only because of it's low profile!
Scratch that! I found one of our old tungsten weight and used it with a lizard, worked so much better, much more sensitive good for the kinda way I use texas rigs! If I could, I'd only have tungsten.. I think I'll buy some bulk tungsten next time I'm all set with combos and lures and have some good amount of cash.
Old 06-14-10, 03:09 PM   #41
screwballl

Quote:
Originally Posted by BassinNC View Post
I'm sure tungsten is better I just can't make my self pay that much more for a weight.
Same here... I lose enough weights, it would double my usual fishing gear budget
screwballl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-10, 05:39 PM   #42
Jim80
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

I want to switch to tungsten but have not made the jump yet , although I recently started using tungsten jigs and am loving those

Jim
Old 06-14-10, 05:50 PM   #43
BassMan83
BassFishin.Com Member

I will only use tungsten for the same reasons already mentioned, the small profile, and the sensitivity.
BassMan83 is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.