Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 03-02-05, 07:29 PM   #26
Rob Mak
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Re: high dollar tackle or cheap

bassman is that why you wont take me out in that "new boat" of yours??? don't worry hoss one of these days..

zooker

SUPPORT OUR TROOPS

US ARMY

Rochester, New York
Rob Mak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-05, 07:34 PM   #27
Bassin_Dude
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Bassin_Dude

zookers familiar with expensive lures ;D come on zook, i just want a peek ;D i seriously do tho...........who doesnt
Bassin_Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-05, 09:47 PM   #28
javelinguy
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to javelinguy

In our team tournament formats, my partner and I wear visors and even had a sticker for his boat made that all state "Team Clearance"!! We never pay full price for anything but at the same time we fish quality lures. Up here in Wisconsin the gander mtns. and Wal-marts have huge clearance sales in the offseason. For example I just picked up pack of 10 Eagle Claw 3/0 worm hooks for .15 and I bought 9 bags of Strike Kings 3X blue/black 6" lizards.......0.25 cents a bag! I use all Basspro shops rods and reels but wait until they go onsale.
javelinguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-05, 10:28 PM   #29
fredhatch
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to fredhatch

I dont agree with the high priced tackle. Ive seen very good fisherman pick up inexpensive tackle and catch fish. Im not saying cheap, inexpensive. I use all BPS rods and reels- usually get them combo priced at 90.00 or less if theres a sale. I usually pick up baits on sale or clearance. The most expensive lures I ever purchased were just sent to me from the great white north. Hell Ill probably be sick if I lose one quickly. I yell and scream when I lose a $4.00 spinnerbait. I dont think bassfishing is based on how much your equipment costs, but how you use what you got. 8)
fredhatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-05, 11:58 PM   #30
macgyver
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to macgyver

Yes I use both. I own no rod over $175, and no reel over $100. I use decent equipment but not the best. I do seem to upgrade as I go though ;D I'm definately going to keep upgrading as I go. You feel say a X Brand rod, and then you feel a St Croix rod, and theres no comparison. However I don't think that jumping up to a $300 rod would make ME a better fisherman. It might be better in some aspects, but not anything that's noticeable for me. Of course we ALL WANT the best, but reality is that very few folks can afford to spend that kinda money(without spending the rent money). Sure you can save up, and buy a $300 rod. But I'd rather spend the $300 on a trip to a great Bass fishing location, other than this wonderful state of Indiana. It's all about priorties, zooker's priority is his fishing and hunting, mine is my wife and business. I would prefer it to be more like zooker sometimes, especially when the mouth starts running. But I gotta work to afford all of the things we love to do, IE Vactions, our home. Those are more important to me than spending that money on a rod or reel. Even though Fishing is my passion, it's not my life.

Lizards
macgyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-05, 12:26 AM   #31
Infisherman1
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Infisherman1

Who said that more expensive stuff is better? ???
Infisherman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-05, 04:12 AM   #32
nicholastown
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to nicholastown

One thing a lot of people have brought up is the fact that cheaper stuff will catch bass just like expensive stuff. Well, this is true to an extent. I have caught bass on a zebco 33 and I have caught bass on $400 rod and reels. One thing that not a lot of people have talked about is the lasting power of more expensive stuff. If you spend $200 or $300 bucks on a rod and reel then it will last a lot longer than the cheaper stuff. It costs that much because it is made with better components and to a finer detail than cheaper stuff. I know some people say they have been using the same old cheap reel they bought 15yrs ago, well, great, but that is an exception and not the rule. Believe me, I wish is was the other way around. I personally don't buy the best, because I can't afford it, but I do buy the best I can afford. That is a good rule of thumb to go by. Good fishing.
nicholastown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-05, 04:39 PM   #33
bearpaw
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to bearpaw

No problem Zook. I'm not worrying. See ya Sat.
We'll be on Lake Tillery in the event that you decide not to show up, or forget were the tournament is at !
bearpaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-05, 05:29 PM   #34
mallard
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to mallard

A Shakespeare Ugly Stik setup costs about $30, and will last for well over 10 years.

So compared to a $300 rod and reel, that would be 100 years.

Also, Shakespeare is the brand of my preference. ;D

(Works a lot like cars... You're looking at Chrysler vs. Ford )
mallard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-05, 06:33 PM   #35
Bassin_Dude
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Bassin_Dude

just dont buy those rod and reel combos that they have at wal-mart................i cant remember the name but the reel was yellow. i bought one once and i got a spinnerbait caught up in sumthin and i was tryin to pull it out and WHAM i broke the rod. some of the pieces almost flew in to my eye
Bassin_Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-05, 09:44 PM   #36
bassmaster111
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to bassmaster111

rods and reels i try not to go cheap on but ill buy any kind of bait
bassmaster111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-05, 06:08 AM   #37
IL.bassin36
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Send a message via Yahoo to IL.bassin36

I like the good stuff. If you watch around enough, you can sometimes get the good stuff cheap
IL.bassin36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-05, 07:49 AM   #38
okefenokee010
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to okefenokee010

mtbassman77, for the most part I agree with you, you get what you pay for. Unfortunately that philosophy doesn't explain the Zebco and Johnson reels of that both of my grandfathers left me that still work great. The rods are junk now, other than sentimentally, but the reels are in great shape. Could be that things were just better built years ago.

That being said, I sure prefer the high dollar stuff.
okefenokee010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-05, 09:45 AM   #39
catfishtonyd
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to catfishtonyd

You know. Â*I don't know how many rods I've owned over the years, but it's a LOT. Â*I'm 53 years old, and I've been fishing since I was still wearing short pants. Â*In all that time, I've broken one, (1) rod that I can honestly say was not my fault. Â*Not saying I haven't broken more, but only the one that I felf I didn't break it. Â*That was a Garcia Graphite rod about 1980 or so, when Graphite rods were still pretty new. Â*I set the hook on what turned out to be a stump, and it shattered into four pieces. Â*There was enought line out that the line should have absorbed the shock. Â*That one was a "bad" rod. Â*Every other rod I've ever broken, was my fault. Â*And believe me, I've broken cheap ones. Â*I've broken expensive one's. Â*I've got some that I still use that are 20 years old. Â*This stuff is a lot better made today than it ever has been.

And it's cheaper today (per hour worked) than it's ever been. Â*When I got started an Ambassadeur 5000, cost $35.00. Â*This was about 1972. Â*At the time I was making 3.10 per hour (About double the minimum wage) before taxes. Â*So it took me more than 10 hours pay to pay for that reel, and that was about the lest expensive baitcasting reel you could buy. (Actually it was about the ONLY baitcasting reel you could buy.) Today ten hours pay even at minimum wage, will buy you a pretty decent reel.
catfishtonyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-05, 02:46 AM   #40
Big_Drew
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Big_Drew

Use what ever you like. Â*There is a difference between the high dollar rods and the "less expensive" rods. Â*When you look at the guide wraps between a bass pro rod and a G. loomis rod. Â*You will see a difference. Size of thread and consistency in the wrap is much better with a loomis. Â*Fewer, if any, gaps will be found in a loomis. Â*Then there is the spline. Â*Most manufacturers don't spline the rod. Â*Here is an interesting tidbit of info for ya all. Â*When a rod blank is manufactured they use a mandrel to wrap the graphite and glass around. Â*It is done with pressure being applied to the blank. Â*Most companys can't put more than 25lbs. of pressure on the blank without crushing the mandrell, (not really sure how that is supposed to be spelled). Â*Gary Loomis designed and engineered all his own machinery and can wrap his blanks with 5 or 6 times as much pressure being applied creating a stronger and more sensitive rod blank. Â*Also they actually spline the rod before wrapping the guids on. Â*You get what you pay for...but not always. Â*Just because a rod cost $100.00 doesn't mean it's worth it.
Big_Drew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-05, 07:03 AM   #41
don_P
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to don_P

hey guys,If there's a dick's sporting goods store near
you go there cause you can find some GREAT deals on
fishing stuff.I bought a bunch of diff. color deep and shallow diving crankbaits by excalibar.BillDance models
for $2.99 I thought that was a great deal.That way if
i lose one of these ,I wont be thinking about the price of the crankbait that just snnnnaaaappppped off my line....... ;D

You cant buy a penny whistle for a penny ???
don_P is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.