Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 11-19-07, 11:03 PM   #1
lunker-lander
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Send a message via MSN to lunker-lander
Default Worm/Lure Scents

I'm going out on a limb here - saying I have never used scent - so please feel free to correct any misinstated/biased information.

What scents do you guys use/have used? I have heard CB's Hawg Sauce is good. Is this true? I plan on applying it just to worms, because I don't want my balsa cranks to soak up the scent. Also, what about YUM LPT(Live Prey Technology)? Any others?

Any reccommendations/absolute needs? Any personal experience that would absolutly persuade me to buy?

-ll
Old 11-19-07, 11:17 PM   #2
Rebbasser
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

There are a bunch out there. I haven't used the one you mention, but do use them when throwing a worm or jig. I use Kick'N Bass and Carolina Lunker Sauce the most with Yum and Megastrike a close second. I use crawfish for jigs, shad for shad-type baits like Super Flukes, and garlic for worms.

Do they make a difference? I'd have to say sometimes. They definitely can't hurt. I'd try what you can find in your area. If I had to choose one I'd go with garlic. Why it works I don't know, but it does.
Old 11-20-07, 02:04 PM   #3
brentalous
BassFishin.Com Member

I've used a couple garlic scents myself, and I think I got one decent result that I can recall, but honestly... the amount of time you spend putting the crap on, and then re-applying every 10-12 casts isn't worth my time IMO. If a bass is hungry, he'll eat your worm, w or w/o scent of magicgoo.

Plus, I hate how your fingers smell like you've been on a really bad date for the rest of the day after using them.
brentalous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-07, 02:35 PM   #4
Raul

Quote:
Originally Posted by lunker-lander View Post
Any personal experience that would absolutly persuade me to buy?

-ll
You think you need it ? buy it !

It makes you more confident ? buy it !

I purchased a bottle several years ago, couldn´t say I caught more fish using it, after being there stored for over a decade I finally tossed it into the trash can.
Raul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-07, 03:34 PM   #5
JB

I use carolina lunker sauce, denny usually almost pukes when he smells the garlic, but its worked fine for me, other than being messy and smelly.
Its about 13 bucks at bass pro a bottle
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-07, 04:12 PM   #6
rrw4258

I'll second what Reb said, i like the Kick n Bass attractant on all plastics and jigs. A great product, and not a bad price, either.

Ryan
Old 11-20-07, 04:42 PM   #7
lunker-lander

OK Guys, let me explain what I forgot to the first time. I don't plan to use it every 10 casts or so, just before I throw the lure into the water, as like a cover scent - not a scent that keeps its smell.
I was looking on Cabela's and I think I might go with Carolina Lunker Sauce. After seeing their data table, and user reviews, it looks promising. Can't wait to throw some on that first worm of the Spring!

-ll
Old 11-20-07, 09:40 PM   #8
Bender

I have a jar of Hawg Sauce, it will not go in my new boat though, too stinky and messy! I use MegaStrike gel and will say that I have had more hits on it than without it on soft plastics. It goes on everything other than Gulp! stuff and PacaCraws.
Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-07, 11:16 PM   #9
Bob Smith

Thumbs up

I have tried about all of them, I think! In fact I used Kick-n-Bass Garlic exclusively for about 4 years, I still do but not as much. I have a new favorite for the last three years that I use on all of my soft plastic and jig presentations, all the time. That's the Chompers "G" Formula bait attractant. I have proven it way too many times to count, that it definitely does make a difference. One of the things about these bait attractants is that they not only put off amino acids and scent, but they also create a visual attractant by leaving a vapor like trail in the water. When a baitfish takes off the bass see a slight "film" or trail in the water, the same with crawfish. In fact if you look across the water on a slight of wind day when there is a little ripple on the water, you can generally see where the baitfish are, or have been because the surface will be noticeably smoother in that area. That's because of the oil they collectively emit. Most fisherfolk can tell you stories about how they actually smelled the baitfish in the air as they were running their boats down the lake, and that is amazingly true. Next time you smell that odiferous hint, take a look around you because you will probably be able to see the slick on the water. That's my reasons for using bait attractants, besides it won't hurt the situation, and it can only help so why not do it!
Old 11-21-07, 11:21 PM   #10
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

What about attractants like Mustad's Activate which isn't a scent. It uses pheromones [sp?] to trigger the fish to feed or strike. Do these work? If they do, which is better pheromone or scent attractors?

BB
Old 11-21-07, 11:29 PM   #11
Bob Smith

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBassin144 View Post
What about attractants like Mustad's Activate which isn't a scent. It uses pheromones [sp?] to trigger the fish to feed or strike. Do these work? If they do, which is better pheromone or scent attractors?
BB
Now that's a great question, and honestly, I personally have not noticed a difference. The live exhibit manager of the Grapvine, Texas Bass pro Shops and I have experimented with them on a couple of Texas lakes, we also played around with the Biosonix unit that is supposed to excite Bass into biting. What we found was that if the baitfish were actively engaged in feeding on the plankton, the predator fish were actively feeding on the baitfish (DUH! No rocket science there!), the Biosonix helped them noticeably get more excited. However in other parts of the lake where there were no active baitfish the Biosonix didn't make a difference. The point I am making is that the pheromones basically worked the same way, at least you got that impression because the fish were already active! Truthfully speaking we were not experimenting in a controlled environment, but our experience didn't really reveal any surmountable difference when applied throughout the lake.
Old 11-22-07, 12:06 AM   #12
otto
BassFishin.Com Member

I've tried several "scents" over the last 30 years, without any noticeable difference between any type or brand, or using no added scent at all.
This year I did find that bass hold onto Berkley Gulp worms longer than standard plastics. It would be nice if they were more durable though...
otto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-07, 08:37 AM   #13
Mac10

I go to www.garlicvalleyfarms.com and order a bottle or two of their cold pressed liquid garlic. I spray a couple shots into the soft plastics baggie, reseal and mush about to get it evenly spread. It's potent stuff and also contains sea salt. Being water based, it actually soaks into the plastics for a long lasting application. I keep the bottle refrigerated as directed. They charge 4 bucks for an 8 ounce pump bottle and charge 3 bucks handling and shipping no matter how many bottles you order. Just remember, get the cold pressed. Mac

p.s. Cheaper to order direct from the factory and not using the other links provided on the site...just use the 800 number for direct ordering.
Mac10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-07, 11:46 PM   #14
senko
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

To tell you the truth I think scent just helps to keep the fish on your bait a little longer so you have more time to detect him and hook him... that's just me though. Like others said, it definately can't hurt so go ahead and try it.
Old 11-25-07, 08:46 AM   #15
zooker

Quote:
What scents do you guys use/have used? I have heard CB's Hawg Sauce is good. Is this true? I plan on applying it just to worms, because I don't want my balsa cranks to soak up the scent. Also, what about YUM LPT(Live Prey Technology)? Any others?

Any reccommendations/absolute needs? Any personal experience that would absolutly persuade me to buy?

-ll
i use scent on all plastic bait,jig,and spinnerbaits..

i personally have met cb-he is an idiot- but his hawg sauce is good stuff.. the yum i have tried i did not like -turned every thing purple- carolina lunker sauce is some kickin stuff -i use crawdad- the applicater is the best idea i have ever seen in scent bottles..kick n bass is VERY STICKY and very strong -like floor you strong-i don't use it for them reasons.i use alot of fish formula garlic,shad or spike it -which is a scent also-i use craw early garlic the rest of the time..

zooker
Old 11-25-07, 10:58 AM   #16
ROBZILLA

I think the reason Zook catches fish is because he still wears the Cologne English leather mixed with bruit. it gets on the lure and all hell breaks loose.
Old 11-25-07, 12:45 PM   #17
JB

ya sure rob?
i thought I smell gasoline and vasoline on the big guy rofl
Old 11-25-07, 06:04 PM   #18
zooker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBZILLA View Post
I think the reason Zook catches fish is because he still wears the Cologne English leather mixed with bruit. it gets on the lure and all hell breaks loose.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JB View Post
ya sure rob?
i thought I smell gasoline and vasoline on the big guy rofl
either of you two morons have ever met me face to face...

zooker
Old 11-25-07, 06:57 PM   #19
JB

LOL bring it
Old 11-25-07, 07:27 PM   #20
lunker-lander

Although this is not a scent, it does come in a spray bottle, and I am asking your guys opinion on it. Kevin VanDam's Line&Lure. What do you think about it? Does it really help with fluoro?

-LL-
Old 11-26-07, 08:45 PM   #21
zooker

LL
YES IT DOES...

jb
just point your jeep south and drive 6 hours..we will find out wont we..

zooker
Old 11-26-07, 09:10 PM   #22
lunker-lander

Care to elaborate for me, Zook?

-LL-
Old 11-26-07, 09:41 PM   #23
zooker

Quote:
Kevin VanDam's Line&Lure.Does it really help with fluoro?
Quote:
Originally Posted by zooker View Post
LL
YES IT DOES...

nuff said

zooker
Old 11-26-07, 10:03 PM   #24
lunker-lander

Have you noticed less fish caught with it on? Also, how do you apply it?

-LL-
Old 11-26-07, 10:34 PM   #25
senko
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zooker View Post
nuff said

zooker
sorry too break it on ya but I think zook has spoken

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.