Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 03-18-08, 11:37 PM   #1
carolina-rig-01
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Default fighting through a slump!!!

well my second club tourney of the year was just as bad as my first. we had 70* days up until tourney day and the high was 46* and that was at the launch, it dropped all day and was at 37* at the weigh in. arkansas seen a lot of rain that came down kings river turning table rock into a mud pit! usually 10-15 feet visability is common on table rock and we had 2 inch visability on tourney day. considering the cold front, muddy water (which these fish are not used to at all), and 40 mph winds out of the north it was just a miserable day. i ran about 20 miles to find clear water ( i knew the cold front would still be a factor but atleast we wouldn't have to deal with the sudden drastic change in water clarity) my non boater boated a 4.5 lber. on my first spot and that was our only fish. i did have a few bites on a jig but because of the wind i didn't detect the bites soon enough. by the end of the day we ran up the river and fished the muddy water as well (knowing the muddy water was warmer but still affraid it had the fish freaked out). basically i am in a slump and need to work out of it soon or i am gonna be out of the points race before i know it. i used to play a ton of baseball (highschool and high competition, even made the first cut for the atlanta braves) and in baseball bunting can be a great way of working through a slump. so i figure finesse fishing is like bunting in bass fishing. i am gonna just start finesse fishing my butt off until i get in a groove and gain some confidence in my ability to get bit. just wondering how everyone else fights through a slump?
Old 03-19-08, 12:32 AM   #2
fishin' fool
BassFishin.Com Active Member

I usually hit a short slump late in ever summeras heat and fishing pressure peaks. Ways I deal with it are, fish your strengths, slow down take a breather when things aren't going right, even fish slower and more methodically, and just have fun out there. I think people remain in slumps because it is so mental, people beat themselves up over it. Tell yourself you can do it, cause you know you can!
Good fishin
fishin' fool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-08, 01:11 AM   #3
Jigger

Thumbs up

This is a really great thread!!! I commend you for posting it. I watched Peter Thilveros (sp?), Peter T. on a match fishing contest the other day get his butt kicked. He took it like a man and said something that really inspired me. He said, without any emotion whatsoever something like "Oh, well, that's fishing. I've caught 'em before and I'll catch 'em again". That's confidence----knowing you've got the ability and that the sun don't shine on the same dog's *** every day, as my old man would say and like fishin' fool said, when the goin' gets tough, "fish your strength". Hang in there man. I can tell you know what you're doing. It'll all come together.
Jigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-08, 09:41 AM   #4
Cranebird

Its tough to fish muddy water runoffs but its a rarity to get them here as well.The river can be very good for if there is good current and even though it may look muddy on the surface, many times there is a bottom layer of clean water with the swift running water.As for the main lake where you were fishing. I totally agree with your plan of attack.you went to find the clean water.I am sorry you think your plan failed, the plan was a great call again the fish has to cooperate a bit and you have to capitalize on your strikes knowing there won't be many from the cold front conditions.0-2 means your due to hit a home run.I have no doubt you have the skills and knowledge to win. Good things happen to those who are executing a well planned day and your just on the verge of going from zero to hero, you just need to keep planning good strategy and allow the win to happen. Sometimes one has to calm down and slow down inorder to fish faster. C-Bird.
Old 03-19-08, 10:14 AM   #5
BassAddict
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Been there before. You just have to fish through it and LEARN from each tournament. You've had tough conditions your first 2 tournaments. I would try to find out what worked for the guys who finished near the top. Maybe give you an idea of what to turn too when it's tough like that again. Don't get down too quick. You will get back in it soon!

My brother and I learn something every tournament. We finished 41st (out of 100+ teams) the first year we fished our local series. We learned a lot though. Last year we finished 17th in the points and learned more. This year I'm excited and expect to finish in the top 10.

Keep your head in it man! I'm sure you know what your doing. Stay confindent in yourself and you will get it turned around! Good luck!
Old 03-19-08, 12:56 PM   #6
bassnman30
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

carolina-rig-01,
Last year I was in a slump all year long. Never weighed in more than 2 fish per tournament. Made the top 6 by catching 2 fish for 10lbs at Tuckertown res. That pulled me out, I passed up 3 members and ended up in 5th, and still only had 2 fish !
You'll have those days but things will get better, I promise.
Old 03-19-08, 01:05 PM   #7
jasonfish320

I think that a lot of bass fisherman set their expectations too high...start with low goals and work from their...for example...I like to tell myself, "if I can just get 5 solid hits today I'm doing well..and then build from that"...you can't go out and say damn if I don't get 20lbs in the boat I suck..this type of thinking will destroy you mentally.
Old 03-19-08, 01:30 PM   #8
pignjig

"We can't really appreciate success until we've experienced failure, young Skywalker."

-Obi Wan Kenobi

-Darth Pig
pignjig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-08, 02:47 PM   #9
carolina-rig-01

jason, i don't expect to weigh in 20 lbs in every tourney. but so far i am yet to weigh in a fish this year, and that is just unacceptable. there are times throughout the year where i will tell myself, i will be disapointed with less than x amount of weight. then there are times where i will tell myself, honestly i am not on fish and don't expect much. but i know i am better than this, and for the most part i feel like i have been making solid decisions but they just haven't been paying off.
Old 03-19-08, 03:41 PM   #10
jasonfish320

Carolina...didn't mean anything by the 20lbs, just using it as an example...do you pre-fish much? ...it's not so much where the fish are, but where their not that makes the difference...I will stay in an area for 30 mins at a time and make my notes...pre-fishing is much more relaxing and can take a lot of the guess work out...keep 'ya head up it'll come...one thing I always tell myself on the water..."SLOW DOWN"..it's hard to keep calm when you're in a tourney and that anxious feelin starts creepin up...but if you take a deep breath and stick with what you know things will happen..I'm predicting that you will WIN one of your club tourney by JULY...there's your confidence builder...now GIT' R DONE!
Old 03-19-08, 03:52 PM   #11
carolina-rig-01

jason, i know you didn't mean it like that and i didn't take it like that. i appreciate all of the input. yeah i pre-fish quite a bit, and i think maybe a little too much. i really think i tend to overthink things.
Old 03-19-08, 07:09 PM   #12
bothomas

carolina heres a thought.... sounds mental...your just having a slump, no big deal, this is fishing... only fishing. we all started because we really enjoy being on the water, relaxing, trying to figure the fish out. sounds like your not enjoying this much right now. I've been in the same boat your in and probably more ( because I think I have more slumps ) what I do is go crappie fishing, catfishing, bream, anything to get out and have a fun day catching fish. Usually I go with a buddy and try to have a good time and not pre-fish.
bothomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-08, 08:01 PM   #13
zooker

when i had my slump last year. i went to the beach and begain catching salt water fish..i came back to the local lakes with a new game plan..

zooker
Old 03-19-08, 09:16 PM   #14
Cranebird

Quote:
Originally Posted by zooker View Post
when i had my slump last year. i went to the beach and begain catching salt water fish..i came back to the local lakes with a new game plan..

zooker
It must have been very difficult to catch saltwater fish at your local lake Zooker. Can you gives us details on how you accomplished this task ? C-Bird Smile
Old 03-19-08, 10:23 PM   #15
flfireman

Usually when I hit a slump, I look back at what's been going on. I've found most of the time Im stressed about something(like not catching fish) I sit back and destress a little and start having fun again.
Old 03-19-08, 10:46 PM   #16
zooker

ivan
i found that i could not focus on the job at hand around here. so i called up my buddy who lives on the obx and got premission to use his house. so for about 3 months last fall i was at the beach-with "a" new girlfriend- every weekend. i caught quite a few trout and red drum. along with grouper,mullet,spots,and sharks..
it was during this stretch that i started catchin bass and pickeral along with red drum and trout in the gator river and ablermarle sound..it gave my the boost i needed to come back in the local fresh water lakes. with a new plan and a boosted groove it was on all winter for me..

zooker
Old 03-20-08, 05:14 AM   #17
Cranebird

Zooker, I was just being sarastic as usual.I keep typing Zac instead of Zooker.My nephews name is the same as yours and we call him Zac. There was the constant pressure to do well when I had a nonboater with me.I took anyone willing to go prefishing or to fish after work for a few hours at night just to try to get in a habit of not worrying about trying to put the other guy on fish.Of course it really didn't help me any so I sold my bass boat and fish smaller club tournaments or the partner circuits where you are team up with the same person all year long. The longer you go without catching fish the closer you are to finding a winning limit. C-Bird
Old 03-20-08, 10:20 AM   #18
Lilmoosecountry

You've lost your confidence. My suggestion grab the bait monkey over at zooks house & go shopping find that new confidence bait that will restore you. Mine were shad raps. i still use them. But there not the first thing i grab anymore. Now there sassy shad. It worked for me. besides everybody needs more tackle.
Lilmoosecountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-08, 11:08 AM   #19
bushrat
BassFishin.Com Member

I think Dolly Parton said something to the extent of "You can't get a rainbow without first getting a little rain."
bushrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-08, 05:23 PM   #20
zooker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cranebird View Post
Zooker, I was just being sarastic as usual.I keep typing Zac instead of Zooker.My nephews name is the same as yours and we call him Zac
don't look at me hoss i aint been near her in 15 years..

zooker
Old 03-20-08, 07:18 PM   #21
Cranebird

Haaaaaaaaaaaaa. Zac is 16 .
Old 03-21-08, 05:19 AM   #22
zooker

lmao...poor kid.. wonder where they came up with "that" name from ?? there was only two guys named that in the entire area at that time.. the other one lived in whitesville -good friend of mine-

zooker
Old 03-21-08, 03:02 PM   #23
torelaxandenjoy
BassFishin.Com Member

You know what Jason, that's my sons attitude also( 5 hits). You all may think I am crazy but my true intent when I go fishing is to relax and enjoy. Shucks I have fun watching my son snag fish than when I catch 'em, because I know he is thinking boy I wish dad could catch something, and he is a bass master.
Old 03-21-08, 06:10 PM   #24
Buckeyefishing
BassFishin.Com Member

Smile Take a tip from Yoggi

Don't feel to worried about it. Adopt Yoggi Berra's phylosophy. He said " I never lost a game
I only ran out of time." Brighter days are ahead!
Buckeyefishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-08, 07:42 PM   #25
carolina-rig-01

buckeye great advice! i love yoggi-isms.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.