Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 09-04-08, 01:21 PM   #26
Jim80
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

I've been spending a lot off time talking to some of the local tournament fisherman in my area and they almost all swear by mono for every application they fish as do most the guys from the local clubs .
Old 09-04-08, 01:41 PM   #27
Fishnngolfn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim80 View Post
I've been spending a lot off time talking to some of the local tournament fisherman in my area and they almost all swear by mono for every application they fish as do most the guys from the local clubs .
Mono as the main line or for leaders?
Fishnngolfn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-08, 01:46 PM   #28
Jim80

main line . I have been keeping one rod set up with #30 power pro but have been using #20 mono in it's place in the nasty stuff no problems so far the other 2 rods that i take out with me have #12 mono and #12 fluorocarbon on them , And I am far from bashing braid it has it's uses but if I can get away with mono thats what I've been using .

Jim
Old 09-04-08, 01:54 PM   #29
Fishnngolfn

The main reason for me choosing braid over mono is that it casts better (for me anyway) and braid has little to no memory. I cannot stand to see the spiral line that mono creates (even with KVD line conditioner or reel magic). This is horrible to have when fishing weightless plastics.
Fishnngolfn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-08, 01:59 PM   #30
cassidyta

Just means you need to get out to the water more FNG. LOL
Old 09-04-08, 07:55 PM   #31
bamabassman
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

well jim, for me mono broke when i fished the grass. guntersville lily pads and what i call "gator vines". vines so thick and tough mono would break every time i hooked a good fish. ask ol mississippiboy and bigbasser 144 and kingfish too. so i have switched to powerpro 30 lb braid for those areas. no problem so far. and like f&g said, i too find it easy to cast. had a little trouble at first. but now i love the braid. as for mono... i used 20# too. after a couple of weeks it would have a bad "memory". was constantly changing it out. gotta do now as a matter of fact. so in my opion only here, mono has it's uses and braid has it's.
bamabassman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-08, 08:04 PM   #32
Jim80

never said braid did not have it's uses and I still keep a rod/reel with #30 power pro spooled just saying I use mono whenever possible .
Old 09-04-08, 08:12 PM   #33
bamabassman

i unerstood ya pal. i wuz just saying what i have experencied. yu are correct too buddy. mono is )in my opion) more invisible to me than braid. so i use it unless in da grass and gator vines.
bamabassman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-08, 11:36 AM   #34
Bob Smith

My change to mono is for the leaders only. I love my braided line on the main line and have no intention of changing. Although I have had a couple of line twist recently, but not nearly as much as I would've with mono on my spinning rigs.
Old 09-05-08, 03:53 PM   #35
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

I agree with IB, even when we do go walleye fishing (which is not very often) I'd still never use vanish.

You guys do why they call it that right?

No, not cause it vanishes under the water... It's cause all your fish just seem to vanish off the end of the line. all in all, this suck-ish line form Berkely did not surprise me. IMO, it just followed in the footsteps of it predecessors (trilene mono). Now I know, I'll probably get crap for saying this, but it is my opinion.

Right now I have braid on all my setups excep ton my spinning reel, which is loaded with 8lb stren super knot mono, which is my favorite monofilament line. Although its diameter is bigger than similar monos.

BB
Old 09-05-08, 06:48 PM   #36
Lancer6
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

http://www.liquidmatrix.org/blog/wp-...008/04/fdh.jpg

Lancer6
Horse Soldier, Emeritus
Lancer6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-08, 10:32 AM   #37
Fish2win
BassFishin.Com Active Member

I have had exactly the same PROBLEM and I believe the answer is different. The braid does not stretch at all. The leader(I have not used vanish, I use Suffix) does. Since the leader is much shorter than the main line all stretch is confined to the leader. Try loosening your Drag a little more. That worked for me. The Braided lines do not release with the drag the same as mono does. The purpose of the leader is low vis so I use 8 lb leader with 20 lb braid. The knot is the weakest part of the line anyway. I have had them break at both ends of the leader. Since I backed the drag off no more broken knots, Fish2win

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.