Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 07-20-09, 10:10 AM   #1
nofearengineer
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Default A New Convert...

Well, I pretty much thought it would never happen, but after MUCH practice, I think I am coming around to the baitcasting reel side of things.

Since the fishing was terrible yesterday at Patoka, I pulled into a nice quiet cove and practiced casting my 2010 model Revo STX and Revo Toro Winch. I ended up cutting a bit of line off of each of them once, and almost gave up; the backlashes were so bad the "reel with your thumb on the spool" trick didn't even work.

However, after a couple of hours of determined struggle, I got them set up just right, and boy does that STX cast a mile...even with a very light lure on it. I can now cast it with very little fear of a backlash, except if I cast it overhead...that is almost a guaranteed backlash. I still need to work on that, because while my distance is good with a side-arm motion, my accuracy is for crap. Either way, the STX is on my jerkbait rod, where pin-point accuracy isn't absolutely required.

Regardless, I have to say you baitcaster guys were right...I am starting to like this a lot. I know the improved drag will help me with bigger fish, which thanks to this site, I have been catching lately, and hope to catch even bigger ones soon.

Last edited by nofearengineer; 07-20-09 at 12:44 PM.
nofearengineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-09, 10:16 AM   #2
WillTheThrill
BassFishin.Com Member

Well congrats man! It feels good when you can actually cast with the big boys with baitcasters! I learned this year as well and wouldnt even pick up another reel now! Backlashes will happen, even with experience, especially in heavy wind or if you hang a bush before you cast. Keep it up and catch 'em all!
WillTheThrill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-09, 10:43 AM   #3
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

That's great man, if you need more help with the correct brake/ spool tension settings, shoot me a PM.

BB
Old 07-20-09, 10:56 AM   #4
Willvdh1
BassFishin.Com Member

Search baitcasters on the forum and you can find some really helpful information. I was you about 2 months ago. Definetly check out what the site has to offer.
Willvdh1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-09, 11:04 AM   #5
woody
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

"I told ya so..." -there, someone had to say it! lol

Got to love those REVO's also, I'm spoiled with 'em.

~Mark
woody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-09, 11:17 AM   #6
WaffleJaw

I was totally against baitcasters till my dad spent an hour in his driveway showing me how to cast em right......once i got the hang of it,he was right!.....ill love em.....i love em more than my spinning reels..

currently im only using the silver and black max's,but ya'll talk so highly about the revo's im gonna half to check em out soon.

hey when your casting overhand,are you turning the reel handle up?
Old 07-20-09, 11:20 AM   #7
nofearengineer

Waffle,

I have two of the Silver Max's too...They actually behave nicer than the Revo, if you can believe that. They just don't cast as far. Maybe a better beginner reel.

I guess the same thing that makes the Revo cast so much farther is what makes it a ferocious beast if you don't know what you're doing hehe.
Old 07-20-09, 11:28 AM   #8
aikenyounggun

yeah i really love throwin baitcasters, they are just so much more versatile

yeah and you can throw heavy stuff for a mile
Old 07-20-09, 11:36 AM   #9
WaffleJaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofearengineer View Post
Waffle,

I have two of the Silver Max's too...They actually behave nicer than the Revo, if you can believe that. They just don't cast as far. Maybe a better beginner reel.

I guess the same thing that makes the Revo cast so much farther is what makes it a ferocious beast if you don't know what you're doing hehe.
yea i havent found a reason to spend more money on a reel yet,haha.

the only thing though....last saturday morning i hooked a under water log...set the hook (thinking it was a strike) ......and felt a "crack''
i didnt know if it came from the silver max because of all the plastic,or my lighting rod down by the handle....i took it apart,inspected every inch.....put tons of pressure all over the rod.......and nothing!?!
dont know what happened.....everything is working as smooth as can be.
still i little freaked out by it and completely lost.
Old 07-20-09, 12:05 PM   #10
swimbaitkid
BassFishin.Com Active Member

u can throw a trap a frickin mile too
swimbaitkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-09, 12:07 PM   #11
nofearengineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaffleJaw View Post
yea i havent found a reason to spend more money on a reel yet,haha.

the only thing though....last saturday morning i hooked a under water log...set the hook (thinking it was a strike) ......and felt a "crack''
i didnt know if it came from the silver max because of all the plastic,or my lighting rod down by the handle....i took it apart,inspected every inch.....put tons of pressure all over the rod.......and nothing!?!
dont know what happened.....everything is working as smooth as can be.
still i little freaked out by it and completely lost.
If everything is working fine, it might have been your reel seat. They're in there so tight, that if it moves, the friction makes that high-pitched "crack" noise like you're saying. If that's it, now your reel is seated better.
Old 07-20-09, 12:27 PM   #12
WaffleJaw

Quote:
If everything is working fine, it might have been your reel seat. They're in there so tight, that if it moves, the friction makes that high-pitched "crack" noise like you're saying. If that's it, now your reel is seated better.

phew!,.good to know.....never heard it before,but thats where the noise seem to have came from and the first place i looked....it makes sense why i didnt see any visable damage.

thanks nofear
Old 07-20-09, 04:00 PM   #13
Bassboss

Congrats! You'll soon be casting bait casters just as accurate as you did spinning! You did start with the magnetics on high and than you made your way down right? It helps to reduce back lashes!!
Old 07-20-09, 04:08 PM   #14
nofearengineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassboss View Post
Congrats! You'll soon be casting bait casters just as accurate as you did spinning! You did start with the magnetics on high and than you made your way down right? It helps to reduce back lashes!!
Haha, yeah...I already started backing off on the mechanical and magnetic brakes once I had gotten the hang of it and felt more confident. Thing is, I filled the spools with the amount Abu says to, and I've actually heard people say more line on the spool helps cut down on backlashes. However, my experience is a little different. After I cut some tangled line off, it was much, much easier I found.
Old 07-20-09, 04:15 PM   #15
vabeachbass
BassFishin.Com Member

I've been using a shimano bantam 100 rod and reel combo my dad gave me - ever heard of it? its ancient but pretty to look at. I know I'm early into it, but I'm finding few advantages to using a baitcaster. Switching hands to cast and retrieve!? I'm sticking it out till at least I feel comfortable with it.
vabeachbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-09, 04:18 PM   #16
nofearengineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by vabeachbass View Post
I've been using a shimano bantam 100 rod and reel combo my dad gave me - ever heard of it? its ancient but pretty to look at. I know I'm early into it, but I'm finding few advantages to using a baitcaster. Switching hands to cast and retrieve!? I'm sticking it out till at least I feel comfortable with it.
If you get comfortable with it, remember you can get left-hand retrieve models now...not hard at all to find.
Old 07-20-09, 05:23 PM   #17
cassidyta

Quote:
Originally Posted by vabeachbass View Post

I am very familiar with that model reel. I prefer not to call it ancient since I remember the day I bought it. LOL
They are great reels and it is the same model that I learned on. The only issue is the very low gear ratio. I believe mine is a 4.1:1. You will crank forever to bring your bait back to you. I like it on very deep cranks.

For anyone who is learning to use one, I suggest going to a heavy lure to practice. You will find that the heavier lures keep the spool roation even throughout the entire cast. For that matter, I never suggest learning to cast one on the water. For me, it was with a big 3/4" lug nut.

When it comes to the advantages to using them. You will find that when properly setup, the baitcaster will cast your lures further than a spinning reel. (Provided you are using the same length rod and same size line)
You will also see that your baits are less likely to roll during the cast.
Old 07-20-09, 11:42 PM   #18
bamabassman

alright bryce! it is very cool huh? now you'll never fish without one.
Old 07-21-09, 07:04 AM   #19
keithdog

Way to go! Once you get the hang of baitcasters your hooked for life! AND, you just know the baitmonkey is dancing over by the reel case at BPS just waitting for ya.
keithdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-09, 09:26 AM   #20
BigBassin144

nofear, you using the new STX with the swept back handle, and dual brakes?! if so, where'd you get it so soon?!

Let me just tell you, even if it's not the new ones, if you're not comfortable with it, I'll glady let you send it me!

BB
Old 07-21-09, 09:37 AM   #21
nofearengineer

144 (your new nickname, with all of the BB's on this board now lol), I bought my new Abu reels from a guy on ebay, who told me he got them at tradeshows. So I think this guy is either a pro, an Abu employee, etc. He had very good prices.
Old 07-21-09, 09:57 AM   #22
BigBassin144

nice, want to pm me his seller name? I don't have any money after buying my new rod, but I do need a reel for and I'm gonna start working with this week or next.

144 (lol)
Old 07-21-09, 02:40 PM   #23
sac
BassFishin.Com Active Member

I switched to BC this year too and now I feel weird with a spinning reel. I still have troubles with Flipping and pitching though. Maybe I have too much break? IDK haven't really played with it.

Congrats! BC for life!
sac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-09, 03:58 PM   #24
Bassboss

Quote:
Haha, yeah...I already started backing off on the mechanical and magnetic brakes once I had gotten the hang of it and felt more confident. Thing is, I filled the spools with the amount Abu says to, and I've actually heard people say more line on the spool helps cut down on backlashes. However, my experience is a little different. After I cut some tangled line off, it was much, much easier I found.
Sounds 'bout right to me! The less line you have on, the less back lashes you get, I always fill my spools just under the max line capacity.

Boss
Old 07-21-09, 04:00 PM   #25
Bassboss

Quote:
144 (your new nickname, with all of the BB's on this board now lol), I bought my new Abu reels from a guy on ebay, who told me he got them at tradeshows. So I think this guy is either a pro, an Abu employee, etc. He had very good prices.
lol! I know what you mean.... get confusing!

How 'bout y'all just call be Boss and let BB (144) keep his trade mark signature!

Bosstm

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.