Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 02-04-10, 10:36 PM   #1
gamecockbassman
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Berkley Big Game Line

I was gonna get me some trilene tonight at walmart and they were out of 12 lb test and only had it in big game which I have never used before. Wondered if any of you had and how it casts and does it develop memory bad or not etc.
gamecockbassman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-10, 10:55 PM   #2
BigBassin144
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

I don't think any trilene is that great. Check out Sufix Elite mono. This line is so much better than any trilene. It's more supple, has less memory, and just performs better. I do believe you can get it at some walmarts too.

BB
Old 02-04-10, 11:04 PM   #3
gamecockbassman
BassFishin.Com Member

Trilene is my favorite and that suffix stuff is kinda pricey lol.
Old 02-05-10, 09:18 AM   #4
BassinNC
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

I have always used trilene but have been wanting to try some suffix hear lately.
Old 02-05-10, 09:43 AM   #5
rrw4258
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

I use Berkley Big Game line almost religously... The line is tough, and cast great on a baitcaster. I would never use the line on a spinning reel though, it has a larger amount of memory than some other lines but when treated with KVD Line and Lure Conditoner it makes the line so much more manageable.

Ryan
Old 02-05-10, 11:43 AM   #6
NTW
BassFishin.Com Member

Big Game is great stuff! I use it for mono applications and it's cheap enough to use as backer for braid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrw4258 View Post
I use Berkley Big Game line almost religously... The line is tough, and cast great on a baitcaster. I would never use the line on a spinning reel though, it has a larger amount of memory than some other lines but when treated with KVD Line and Lure Conditoner it makes the line so much more manageable.

Ryan
Old 02-05-10, 12:34 PM   #7
WaffleJaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBassin144 View Post
I don't think any trilene is that great. Check out Sufix Elite mono. This line is so much better than any trilene. It's more supple, has less memory, and just performs better. I do believe you can get it at some walmarts too.

BB
Im with BB on this..I used Trilene XT for the longest time...I like it ok...I switched to Suffix Siege after a friend recommended it,and I couldnt believe how much difference it made....I plan on trying the Elite soon,since the Siege is more abrasive resistant,so hopefully the Elite will be even smoother!
Old 02-05-10, 01:10 PM   #8
Jim80

I used big game mono for a while and it is tough as nails and hard to beat for the price , although like BB said the suffix line isn't bad either .

Jim
Old 02-05-10, 02:18 PM   #9
CamG

Big Game is a great, cheap line. Tough as nails!
CamG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-10, 03:44 PM   #10
Raul

Trilene Big Game user here for more than two decades, lines have come and gone in my reels, the only one that still remains is Big Game.
Raul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-10, 05:19 PM   #11
bassinbob

Tried it last year for shallow cranks. I had no problems with it.
Old 02-05-10, 06:11 PM   #12
Bassboss

Pift! It really depends on what formula it is. They change it every year or what ever so it's really hard to get an accurate review on it! I got some a while ago and hated the stuff, it casts well and all, but it was VERY, VERY stretchy! I say stay away from the stuff, just get Berkeley XT or XL if you want a good cheep mono.
Old 02-05-10, 06:33 PM   #13
sac
BassFishin.Com Active Member

I've only used to back up baid, but I have a buddy that uses and love it. Give it a try, it's not going to put you back very much $$$ lol
sac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-10, 06:42 PM   #14
WTL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassboss View Post
Pift! It really depends on what formula it is. They change it every year or what ever so it's really hard to get an accurate review on it! I got some a while ago and hated the stuff, it casts well and all, but it was VERY, VERY stretchy! I say stay away from the stuff, just get Berkeley XT or XL if you want a good cheep mono.
Either you are confused about the line you were using or got a real bad batch...stretchy is not ever a word that I would use to describe big game.
WTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-10, 07:59 PM   #15
bamabassman

I use big game. Haven't really had a problem with it. I also use cajun red line. No problem with it either. Just got a spool of ande mono, gonna try it too. Got some 8 pound from zooker last year at kentucky lake. The test i got this year is 12, Thinking it will be better for my cranks and spinners. We'll see...............
Old 02-05-10, 08:08 PM   #16
TN_Bassin

I use big game on just about every rod I have, and the only bad thing I can say about it is that it has a very long memory. It's pretty cheap and I doubt I've ever had a problem with it not being abrasion resistant. At 8 bucks for a spool of around 1200yds, it really doesn't dissapoint. I would say you should give it a try and decide for yourself whether or not you like it.
Old 02-05-10, 11:09 PM   #17
bamabassman

TN Bassin, i cured my "memory" problem witht big game by applying kvd line conditioner.
Old 02-06-10, 01:11 AM   #18
MeanMouth
BassFishin.Com Member

Quote:

BB
I have fully switched to Sufix Elite Mono, 10 pound test and I have urged any "mono" fan to give it a try.

Virtually no memory, and the line continues to impress me around cover. I thought I was going to lose a couple big dollar lures last year, but they're still in the tackle box.

+1 for the Sufix Elite
MeanMouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-10, 01:20 AM   #19
screwballl

After using the Pline CX copoly for the past year or so, that is my primary line for almost everything now... it floats well enough for top waters, it handles deep drops very well... the only exception is heavy vegetation when I use the power pro green braid, usually 10-12 lb test.

I tend to keep it closer to the weight of the heaviest fish that I might catch. One of the latest Bassmaster magazine articles reporting on fishing in Japan showed that they were using 2-6 pound test, even for the larger 10+ pound bass.
screwballl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-10, 02:41 PM   #20
gamecockbassman
BassFishin.Com Member

I may give it a try and see. I used cajun red last year in the 12 lb and it worked well the 17 lb was not good though. may try cajun on reel and big game on another and see how they compare. thanks for all the advice guys.
Old 02-06-10, 04:28 PM   #21
sweet beaver
BassFishin.Com Member

I've had less problems and better luck with Trilene xl and xt than any line I have used,and I have spent several dollars trying em. In the end it is hard to beat.I will never be made to believe that the flourocarbon is nothing more than a money racket. Lots of pros going back to mono,you will see it more and more.
sweet beaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-10, 06:13 PM   #22
Backwater Charlie

Berkley Big Game is THE all-time best line for catfish. There is no catfisherman on earth that hasn't tried Berkley Big Game, and 95% of them love it. As a bass line, it's okay. I have some 12lb Big Game in the green color. I don't like the green color or I would use it more often. Clear Big Game is great though.

Big Game is much stronger than XL or XT, but XL and XT cast much better. It works fine for baitcasters though.
Old 02-08-10, 11:38 PM   #23
BeaverIslander

Quote:

BB
+1 for Suffix Elite. I really like this stuff. Comparable to Trilene XL, limp and castable. It's the opposite side of the Trilene spectrum to Big Game line. Big game has more abrasion resistance than XT, which has more than XL. Big Game has the most memory and least castability. XT is the middle of the road.

Last edited by BeaverIslander; 02-08-10 at 11:43 PM.
BeaverIslander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-10, 12:33 AM   #24
Rebbasser

Not a bad line. Plus, it is inexpensive so if you don't like it you are not out a lot of $.
Old 02-09-10, 03:48 AM   #25
Jrob78

I had a new reel spooled up for free with Big Game once, I didn't like it at all. It seems like it had alot of memory for mono. It was a few years ago so I don't remember all the details but I do remember I didn't keep it on my reel for very long. In my opinion Suffix Elite is pretty tough to beat when it comes to mono.
Jrob78 is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.