Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 02-18-10, 03:44 PM   #26
BeaverIslander
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bender View Post
I think it is just how sharp their teeth are with little regard to line type. I've had them cut braid off just as fast as a knife would. It really depends where they are hooked.

The big ones sure are fun to catch, the hammer handle, slime darts, etc. aren't too much fun especially when they bite you off a lot.
Here's a shining example of a giant:

That's a 4" worm. These are not fun to catch.
Slime darts! Classic. Never heard that one.
BeaverIslander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-10, 08:28 PM   #27
Dr G
BassFishin.Com Member

Has anyone tried Surflon Micro Supreme?
Dr G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-10, 09:33 PM   #28
nofearengineer
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr G View Post
Well from what I read, so not from experience, titanium is smaller in diameter for equal strength
That's my point, Dr.G, Titanium isn't stronger than steel. Please don't believe what you read on websites. There is sort of a collective insanity out there that somehow believes if they repeat that lie enough times, it will be true.

Most steels are on average, twice as strong as titanium (look up Young's Modulus, or Modulus of Elasticity for each metal). Where the confusion originates, is Titanium's very light weight. In high-speed machinery and rotating assemblies such as crankshafts and connecting rods, Titanium is sometimes a superior material, but only because moving parts are subjected to stresses caused by their own mass. In those cases, the reduced stress due to lighter weight more than offsets the "reduced strength" of Titanium.

For a fishing leader, its own mass is not going to be a factor. Not trying to be an egghead here.....just trying to help you not waste a couple bucks.
Old 02-22-10, 05:25 PM   #29
Garry2rs

Hello DrG;
I live in the Bancroft area Northeast of T.O. In my lakes, we fish for Walleye, Pike and Musky as well as Bass.

I have used 135 lb Fluoro leaders for Musky but think it's overkill anywhere south of Georgian Bay, Lake Nippissing or the Moon River.

Titanium is better than steel because it doesn't kink-up, but it doesn't like to be bent double and eventually breaks at the swivel or the snap.

In the Kawarthas I have never lost a Musky on 80 Braid, with no leader.

As far as incidental Pike go...the danger is overstated.
The big Pike leave the shallows as soon as the water hits about 60F. This is about the time of the Bass spawn and well before the Bass season opens in OnTerrible.

Ten pound Pike of 36 - 38 inches, that I might run into Bass fishing, have never cut off my 40lb. braid.

If you're still worried, try some 20 pound BPS fluorocarbon. It casts well on a baitcaster and will stand up to any Pike you might run into.
Garry2R's
Garry2rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-10, 06:18 PM   #30
Dr G
BassFishin.Com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garry2rs View Post
Hello DrG;
As far as incidental Pike go...the danger is overstated.
The big Pike leave the shallows as soon as the water hits about 60F. This is about the time of the Bass spawn and well before the Bass season opens in OnTerrible.

Ten pound Pike of 36 - 38 inches, that I might run into Bass fishing, have never cut off my 40lb. braid.

If you're still worried, try some 20 pound BPS fluorocarbon. It casts well on a baitcaster and will stand up to any Pike you might run into.
Garry2R's
The problem for me is that where I'll be fishing means backcountry canoing. So my gear has to be reasonably light - medium, 4 piece rod and 2500 Saros spinning reel - so braid is out as my main line. I'll probably be using 10 lb Suffix Elite and/or 10 lb P-line CX. But the more I read this and a host of other forums about this leader question the more I see it's a matter of choice. A lot of folks say, "Leader, you don't need no damn leader" while others are equally adamant that not to use a leader is not only cruel but likely to cost. And then the full Monty when it comes to steel, titanium, flouro, coated steel, multi strand ... and on. I've got a funny feeling that I'm making something out of nothing. That when I hit the water it'll be obvious if there are Pike around or not. I'm told that Pike and bass rarely hang out in the same structure together. One thing about this leader topic, everybody has an opinion based on their own experience so I've found it very interesting. Fishing really is more of an art than a science.
Old 02-22-10, 06:23 PM   #31
MallenManson

Send a message via Yahoo to MallenManson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr G View Post
The problem for me is that where I'll be fishing means backcountry canoing. So my gear has to be reasonably light - medium, 4 piece rod and 2500 Saros spinning reel - so braid is out as my main line. I'll probably be using 10 lb Suffix Elite and/or 10 lb P-line CX. But the more I read this and a host of other forums about this leader question the more I see it's a matter of choice. A lot of folks say, "Leader, you don't need no damn leader" while others are equally adamant that not to use a leader is not only cruel but likely to cost. And then the full Monty when it comes to steel, titanium, flouro, steel coated, multi strand ... and on. I've got a funny feeling that I'm making something out of nothing. That when I hit the water it'll be obvious if there are Pike around or not. I'm told that Pike and bass rarely hang out in the same structure together. One thing about this leader topic, everybody has an opinion based on their own experience so I've found it very interesting. Fishing really is more of an art than a science.

Around here (Northern Michigan), nothing could be further from the truth. Pike and Bass are in the same area all the time. Upper Herring and Dubonnet Lakes are prime examples. One cast you'll get a Bass, next cast in the same spot will yield a Pike

Last edited by MallenManson; 02-22-10 at 07:13 PM.
MallenManson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-10, 07:39 PM   #32
BlueDaksi

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeaverIslander View Post
Slime darts! Classic. Never heard that one.
How about snot rockets? That's my favorite name for them.
Old 02-22-10, 07:48 PM   #33
MallenManson

Send a message via Yahoo to MallenManson

I usually just call them ^&^&*&^%%$$###$^%^^&^&&**&**!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!
Old 02-22-10, 08:46 PM   #34
Marty
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

QUOTE]I'm told that Pike and bass rarely hang out in the same structure together.[/QUOTE]
That could be partially true. In general, large pike are more of a cold water fish than largemouth. But there'll be plenty of smaller ones where the bass are. And in shallow ponds where deep water isn't an option, you might encounter pike anywhere you'd encounter a bass, and vice versa.

P.S. Don't make the mistake of thinking there are different lures for each species. Pike will readily take any lure in your tackle box, from topwaters to bottom crawlers and everything in between.

The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits

Rochester, NY
Marty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-10, 12:10 PM   #35
Garry2rs

Dr G;
Since you are limited to the one rod and ten pound line, I would buy a couple of packages of six inch steel leaders and use them with my crankbaits. On the Senko's I would try fishing without a leader, since the extra weight will spoil the natural fall of the worm.
You might want to pack a few packages of Yum type Frogs and some 4/0 hooks. You fish these frogs fast, like a buzzbait, and the short steel leaders won't affect the performance too much. I would also take along some dollar store crazy glue to repair torn plastic baits. In the dollar stores where I live in Canada you can often find packages of super glue with 4 small tubes in a pill bottle.
I find these more convenient than one big tube.
Garry2R's
Garry2rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-10, 02:28 PM   #36
chubs

Here this has help me out from C-rigs to Cranks and a lot cheaper than the stuff they sell in the fly shops!

http://www.beadalon.com/49StrandStringingWires.asp
chubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-10, 02:43 PM   #37
chubs

Ive tested Braid vs Mono,Fluo on a northern that I kept fpr the table.

I opened the mouth and exposed the teeth, then took 30lb braid and put it on a flossing tool which tightened and spread the line and then I began poking and sawing it around in the mouth of the Pike. I found that the teeth would poked thru the braid sometimes and with the Mono/Fluo it roll off the tooth into the gums.

These are just my findings. But ill take fluo over braid.
Old 02-24-10, 04:12 PM   #38
Dr G
BassFishin.Com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chubs View Post
Here this has help me out from C-rigs to Cranks and a lot cheaper than the stuff they sell in the fly shops!

http://www.beadalon.com/49StrandStringingWires.asp
This is a product I thought I'd try. You're right, sold as leader material it's pretty pricey. Do you have any idea what the equivalent lb test of this beadalon stuff is? What do you pay for it?
Old 02-24-10, 05:59 PM   #39
chubs

Old 02-24-10, 06:08 PM   #40
chubs

As for the price not sure but its cheap in comparison.

Most craft stores carry it.

It is tieable also.
Old 02-24-10, 06:39 PM   #41
Dr G
BassFishin.Com Member

Thanks Chubs for all the info. This stuff looks identical to Surflon Micro Supreme except that its about half the price. However I'm having a hard time tracking it down at bead or craft stores here in Toronto.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.