Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics

Old 06-05-10, 12:22 AM   #1
BigBassin144
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144
Default Line Capacity

The talk about round reels on another thread, and BWC's comment about 200 some yards of 12lb test being plenty for bass fishing got me thinking.

Why do we need 200 yards of line, or 140, or even 120 on some low profile reels. I don't know about you guys, but I've never made a 100 yard cast.

I think for the most part, line capacity is used for marketing purposes. One that sticks in my mind is the Revo Winch. In the description, it claims it has increased line capacity over the regular revos. Was more line necessary?

In fact, a lot of fishermen, or at least a lot of the ones who pay for their line, use backing. So obviously we don't need 140yds of line, so why make the spools to hold it.

Generally, spools with less line capacity weigh less. And the lighter your spool, the easier it will start up; giving you better performance. That's why a lot of the guys who are into modifying reels, especially JDM ones, use small line capacity, high performance spools.

That's mine, so what is everyone else's take on line capacity.

BB
Old 06-05-10, 12:48 AM   #2
Jrob78
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

I pretty much agree with you. I don't think it is necessary to have high capacity spools for bass fishing. However I do think it makes things easier.

One problem I could see with low cap spools would be having to change out your line more often. If you have a 70 yd cap you don't have much room to lose line. This wouldn't be a problem if you used a backer but then you are using a 40 yd backer with a 30 yd main line. Doesn't seem very efficient.

Another thing would be casting effectiveness with a spool that only had 40 yds of line on it. I've never used a reel with a performance spool but I would assume like every other reel they work best with a full spool of line. The lower the line capacity on a reel the greater percentage of line you lose with every bait change or retie.
Jrob78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-10, 05:26 AM   #3
walkeraviator

Yeah...i think the problem is that they dont sell "Bass Fishing" reelsm, the just sell reels... so if someone who trolls the great lakes needs 100yds of line out... he can have it, and teh companies dont have to develop a whole new reel... but it seems to me they could simply design different size bobbins to go in the reel for different types of fishing...

and i agree with the losing line thing... i am bad losing at least 1ft of line every time i retie or change baits... leading to losing 2 yds per trip to the lake on average. And I dont use a backer, basically because i cant tie a blood knot to save my life...
walkeraviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-10, 05:41 AM   #4
islandbass

With the design of the reel, that 140 yards on it is what enables the angler to make optimal casts and ensures the line recovery rate is as advertised.

So as you said, the makers would have to change the spool, perhaps with a fatter arbor to enable the spool to accomodate less line on the spool that you would desire.

I also think jorb is right in that it does make things easier. For example, being a shore angler, I encounter snags and am forced to break off more times than I want. All those little losses of line here and there add up so I appreciate the "extra" line. It is one reason I won't consider a 50 sized casting reel until I have a boat. It can't serve my current needs or purposes.

I also believe that you (and other bass anglers) naturally see this through a bass angler's lens. Large line capacity in many cases is really necessary. However, these reels are also used by other anglers out there that target species that can and will spool even a 200 sized casting reel.

I reckon that the reel manufacturers take them into account too. My 200D Curado get spooled by a brute salmon and the reel was filled to capacity.

I think it is a good thing that reels used for swimbaits and cranks to hold more line. For the former, line with larger diameter is commonly used so that needs to be taken into account. For the latter, I imagine the greater line capacity would provide the angler more flexibility when trolling.
Old 06-05-10, 05:55 AM   #5
bassboogieman

Most casting reels use 12# mono as base line capacity. Moving up to 17# or 20# (other than braid) will decrease the capicity by 20 - 30%. It's one reason some manufacturers make their reels in normal and wide spool versions, the wide spool is better suited for the heavier non-braid lines. I agree with the loosing line issue also, not only on hang-ups and break offs, but cutting and retieing lures, line abraision all contribute to line loss over a few days fishing. I've often had to respool a couple reels after a steady week of fishing and if the reels held less line, I'd likely be doing it after a few days.
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-10, 09:39 AM   #6
zooker

depends on what ya use it for.. if your slinging a big swim bait 200 yards is barly enough. if your pitching 100 yards is more than plenty..but here is the thing. you retie mono 3-4 times a day, braid 2-3 times a day depending on fishing conditions. after a while you'll be fishing with short line..

say you fish every weekend 104 times a year using braid. now retie like above lets say 3 times a day 6" of line per retie.-some more some less- you will have used 1872 inches of line per year or 156 feet. just in reting alone.. not to mention break offs and other stuff..

most figure to rig a reel with 150 yards of braid every two years.150 yards is 450 feet if you subtract the 156 feet of line missing you'll end up with 294 feet on your spool the average cast of say 60 yards or 180 feet.at the end of the cast your reel will have 114 inches of line less than 10 feet..

need i say more??

zooker
Old 06-05-10, 09:49 AM   #7
Backwater Charlie
BassFishin.Com Active Member

No, I said that 205-yards of 12lb is TOO MUCH for Bass fishing. Not enough.

But anyway...

As I just run 10lb, 12lb, or 14lb mono on most Baitcasters, I could use a SOL or Curado-100. As long as my reel will hold 70-yards or so of the line I'm using, I'll be fine with it. With a drag cinched down, no bass is going to pull out drag/much drag. Heck for the 2lb, 3lb Bass most of us call the "norms" we wouldn't need a drag at all.

Zooker's comment about swimbaits is RIGHT. Swimbaits, the 8" - 16" ones, are targeting the biggest Largemouth's ranging from 5lb - 20lbs. Now there is when you need a large capacity reel and a good drag.
Old 06-05-10, 11:16 AM   #8
Bassboss

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBassin144 View Post
The talk about round reels on another thread, and BWC's comment about 200 some yards of 12lb test being plenty for bass fishing got me thinking.

Why do we need 200 yards of line, or 140, or even 120 on some low profile reels. I don't know about you guys, but I've never made a 100 yard cast.

I think for the most part, line capacity is used for marketing purposes. One that sticks in my mind is the Revo Winch. In the description, it claims it has increased line capacity over the regular revos. Was more line necessary?

In fact, a lot of fishermen, or at least a lot of the ones who pay for their line, use backing. So obviously we don't need 140yds of line, so why make the spools to hold it.

Generally, spools with less line capacity weigh less. And the lighter your spool, the easier it will start up; giving you better performance. That's why a lot of the guys who are into modifying reels, especially JDM ones, use small line capacity, high performance spools.

That's mine, so what is everyone else's take on line capacity.

BB
My exact thoughts! I bet if some company did make a smaller line capacity, say, 100 yards of 12, and advertised it as a lighter spool, and told what a lighter spool did, it would make a killing!

Some companies I see making less line cap. is pflueger, and shimano (particularly the Core, and Chronarch).

Last edited by Bassboss; 06-05-10 at 11:23 AM.
Bassboss is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.