Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 07-16-10, 07:42 PM   #26
nofearengineer
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

God, I have to chuckle when I think of bass fishermen still arguing over this a hundred years from now. And still having a good time with it.
Old 07-17-10, 09:19 PM   #27
geezer1
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofearengineer View Post
God, I have to chuckle when I think of bass fishermen still arguing over this a hundred years from now. And still having a good time with it.
You bet!
geezer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-10, 09:44 PM   #28
Cavs1123
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

I use all rightys
Old 07-18-10, 09:02 AM   #29
CamG
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

I use all left handed reels. Just makes sense to me. I just don't know why I'd want to cast right, then switch and put the rod in my left hand?

I started like a lot of guys with a right handed reel just because that's what was available. It never did feel correct, but I did it anyway. One day I was in a tackle shop and saw my first left handed baitcaster and thought, man that just makes sense. I bought it, and have never gone back.
CamG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-10, 11:17 AM   #30
Jrob78

This thread has made me seriously consider buying a left hand reel. I think for techniques like flipping and pitching switching hands is more of a problem.

I've also noticed that I'm not very good at working my rod backhanded with my left hand. In other words, if I make a cast to my right and work the bait back across my body, rod in left hand, I have trouble. I can make that motion easily with my right hand. Might have to look for a good deal on a left handed reel.

If only I knew someone with a lefty STX they wanted to get rid of cheap. Hmm....

Last edited by Jrob78; 07-18-10 at 01:12 PM.
Jrob78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-10, 11:29 AM   #31
Jim80

Quote:
Originally Posted by plugsandaxes View Post
That is weird that you feel a bit more coordinated on your left, but more powerful on your right, man. Pretty cool, though. I think you're the first person I've come across in that situation. I wonder how much of the "power" portion of it (on your right side) was conditioned that way. ie: through work you've done in life, etc. Did you always feel stronger on your right?

Yeah it has been that way I long as I can remember . I throw righty punch
righty , and so on but right with my left hand I mean i could throw a punch with my left and it'll hurt ya but the right will knock ya out , and i can't write for squat with my right hand trust me i have tried to learn it because of spiral notebooks and three ring binders but it's to the point were i just don't even think about it anymore .

Jim
Old 07-18-10, 03:32 PM   #32
3dkicker

Did you always feel stronger on your right?

Your dominant hand and arm, the one you write with and do most daily activities with, will typically be your stronger arm. This has been studied many times and results published. Unless you have a job that requires your non-dominant to work as much as your dominant it will be this way (typically).
Don't know which is stronger? Pick up a 20-35lb dumbell and start doing some bicep curls. Dominant arm will do most reps unless you work out on a regular basis and have closed the gap between the two arms.
Old 07-18-10, 03:36 PM   #33
Jim80

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3dkicker View Post
Did you always feel stronger on your right?

Your dominant hand and arm, the one you write with and do most daily activities with, will typically be your stronger arm. This has been studied many times and results published. Unless you have a job that requires your non-dominant to work as much as your dominant it will be this way (typically).
Don't know which is stronger? Pick up a 20-35lb dumbell and start doing some bicep curls. Dominant arm will do most reps unless you work out on a regular basis and have closed the gap between the two arms.
While that is true in 99.95% of cases it's not with me , like i said for as long as I can remember I have done everything but write right handed and the right side of my body is and always has been the stronger side . Maybe I should have been a righty but like I said I can't write with my right hand for crap

Jim
Old 07-18-10, 04:06 PM   #34
3dkicker

Yes Jim you would fall into the atypical category!!! I think I want to stay away from explaining a bell curve and standard deviations because I think only Nofear would enjoy it..
Old 07-18-10, 04:24 PM   #35
CamG
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim80 View Post
While that is true in 99.95% of cases it's not with me , like i said for as long as I can remember I have done everything but write right handed and the right side of my body is and always has been the stronger side . Maybe I should have been a righty but like I said I can't write with my right hand for crap

Jim
While that's not exactly me, it's close.

I shoot a long gun left handed, pistol right handed. Play pool left handed. Shoot a bow both left and right handed - settled on right. I write right handed, but write nearly as good left handed. I played golf left handed until I was 16 and switched to play righty - still put left handed. I switch hitted in baseball and actually batted slightly better right handed. There are others that I don't even realize I do, but have been pointed out to me over the years.
CamG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-10, 05:33 PM   #36
bassinbob

I'll find out which I like better. Just bought a left hand reel today. (see post in monkey- braggin).
Old 07-18-10, 09:13 PM   #37
JHolmes
BassFishin.Com Member

Jim, I am exactly the opposite of that. I write right-handed but my left side is definitely the stronger side. It is almost like my right side is my skill side and my left the power side.
JHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.