Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 02-17-06, 08:04 AM   #26
lizardsrule
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopherkeene9
Lizards I picked up one of those baits at boaters world about a month and a half ago and still haven't got to use it yet. What type of condtions for it? and how deep do those dive?

Chris
I'ts a shallow diver 0-3' depth. They have a wide wobble and square bill. I like bumping them off of wook or rocks myself, but anything you use a Mann's -1 to Mann's -4 would also probably work as well. Not many companies actually make "Production Lures" in wood anymore. Try it over shallow vegetation, and laydowns.

Lizards
Old 02-17-06, 08:42 AM   #27
crankybait
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

lizards- i cant make that bait. it has a different chaped bill, its ginormous, and it would take a lot of skill to get right
i think islandbass is right. i should make a chugging type bait. i only have two anyways. if i can get a lot of paint, im sure i can make some craz intricate design. but do i really have to foil it? would the gloss be enough? im glueing the wood in layers today so it is a block shape. and how would i put in the screw eyes? today i have off from school, so i cant go to the engineering room
crankybait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-06, 09:05 AM   #28
crankybait

ok. im starting my bait now. it is going to be a popper. i cant drill holes, so im using a straightened paper clp. it will go through the entire body, out the back, and end in a circle where the treble will be. ill have to totaly wrap it around itself to make sure it doesnt bend loose. then the other side will become the hook eye. im tracing a template. i dont have any woodcarving tools so ill be doing this with a small kitchen knife and a butcher knife (not a meat cleaver lol). i also have a potato peeler to carve with to make it round. i have two glues. twice as tacky glue, a nonwashable strong as hell glue, and carpenters goop, which is made for wood and waterproof, but im worried because it is amazingly thick. after i carve it, ill sand it then scan and post it. i dont now how to cup the mouth though. i have nothing strong enough to scoop out. oh well. time to start
Old 02-17-06, 09:52 AM   #29
crankybait

sorry for the triple post. but heres a pic of what ive got so far. im making 3 more peices like this, gluing them together ((there will be four in total. the paper clip hook holder goes in between the second and third. i have to sand this thing out to make it smoother though.
Old 02-17-06, 07:08 PM   #30
lovinfishin9
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to lovinfishin9

No picture
Old 02-17-06, 07:26 PM   #31
crankybait

my bad. and now, i carved a second layer and put it on top of the first. it would be much easier if i had thicker wood, but now i have to carve 4 copies of this and glue em together.
Old 02-17-06, 07:29 PM   #32
crankybait

pls, this one is sanded fully now. also, i may really get into crankbait making. its a risk, since id need 50 bucks to start (i found a free acrylic paint set deal). 1/5th of my budget. the X-acto set is 20 bucks, bills, hooks, and eyes are about 10 dollars for 10, balsa wood is like 2 dollars, and the wire and lead sinkers would be about 5 bucks. the thing is, i dont know much about wighting the lure. and if its even off by a little, the lure is ruined. i could easily make a few topwaters though. and maybe a lipless crank with weights in the nose. in thinking for most of my crankbaits, id put a worm weight in the nose and a smaller weight in the tail. heres the site ill be following. i just wont use the foil since id totaly screw it up. http://www.luremaking.com/howto/balsaplug.htm
Old 02-17-06, 08:04 PM   #33
JB
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Looks like you have found the right kind of site to get started.
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-06, 08:10 PM   #34
crankybait

gotta love google...
do either of these two deals look trustable?
http://art-offer.com/rd_p?p=104136&t...crylic%20paint

http://art-offer.com/rd_p?p=104136&t...=1341-airbrush

its be pretty sick if i could airbrush these lures. but just a regular airbrush comes up for 90+ dollars.
Old 02-17-06, 08:41 PM   #35
Fishing4Soup
BassFishin.Com Active Member

if you are really into it...go for it. It looks like a good start for a popper as well.
Fishing4Soup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-06, 08:57 PM   #36
crankybait

im definetely into it. sounds like an amazingly fun thing to do. besides, im a creative kid. im brimming with designs i could make outta wood. and thanks, i hope my popper works. i might steal some pink marabou from my sisters fake choker later...
Old 02-17-06, 09:32 PM   #37
Christopherkeene9

you dont need to weight them. It can help the action and casting distances.

But make sure before you put the bill on float it and see where it sits in the water. The bill must be in the water when floating for it to work!!

Chris
Christopherkeene9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-06, 10:08 PM   #38
crankybait

you sure i dont need to weight it? on the site it said id need a lead ballast weight. and from the picture, it looks like the bait would lean to that side, since the ballast weight makes that side heavier than the other. i dont really care much for casting distance, but action is a plus. and yeah ill make sure the bill is in the right place. most would be pretty deep divers, so the bills would be straight
Old 02-17-06, 10:24 PM   #39
Christopherkeene9

no cause it has to be perfectly centered to be balanced, but I dont know about balsa but my 2x4 bait didnt need any weight.

Chris
Christopherkeene9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-06, 11:27 PM   #40
abugarcia6
BassFishin.Com Active Member

id make like an original rapala minnow and try to get a lip from a local baitstore i have one near my house i get my lips from i started making my own lures a while back, so far ive made a few deepcranks and a few poppers
Old 02-18-06, 08:26 AM   #41
crankybait

can i ask something? why does the original rapala have a bill if its supposed to float? and also, how do people center weights anyways?
Old 02-18-06, 03:02 PM   #42
lovinfishin9
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to lovinfishin9

It does float but when you rell it in it has its own action, its different from any other bait, and it doesnt really dive down very far
Old 02-18-06, 06:26 PM   #43
crankybait

oh. so the bills give action? should i bill all my lures?

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.