Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 06-09-06, 01:44 PM   #1
senko
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Default O MY God,Rods!

i need to know your guy`s all time favorite bass rod.I am goin to buy a knew fishing outfit...50# Power Pro,a Shimano Castaic right hand model,and im tryin to decide on the rod.thats where you guys come in.PLEASE BE SPECIFIC!!!!

Thanks,BF

Last edited by senko; 06-09-06 at 02:51 PM.
senko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-06, 01:58 PM   #2
JB
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

I like my all star rods
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-06, 02:58 PM   #3
Rebbasser

AllStar and Falcon Low Riders. Both are great rods. Whatever you decide on, I wouldn't get anything less than a 6-6 MH action rod-that is the best all-around size and action for bass fishing IMO.
Old 06-09-06, 03:03 PM   #4
Wishing2BFishing
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Rebasser, I agree with you that the 6'6' MH is generally, the best all round size and action for bassin'.
Wishing2BFishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-06, 03:45 PM   #5
pig n jig

I was wondering if you could be more specific on the use of it ?All rod brands are good, but some shine on a specific lure presentation, or if your looking for a general all around type as Rebbasser, stated. A 6'6" MH rod will fit the bill as a great multi purpose rod, unless your looking to refine your technique as you find a lure type that you like to fish. P N J
pig n jig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-06, 03:50 PM   #6
youngbassman77
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Senko,

I like the Shimano Crucial 6'6'' MH casting rod... Its not too expensive vs other brands, and the quality is very nice. But then again, I'm also a huge Shimano fan.. Hope this helps and good luck on your purchase !

~YBM
youngbassman77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-06, 05:34 PM   #7
Tnbasser

Send a message via Yahoo to Tnbasser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebbasser
AllStar and Falcon Low Riders. Both are great rods. Whatever you decide on, I wouldn't get anything less than a 6-6 MH action rod-that is the best all-around size and action for bass fishing IMO.
Ditto on the Falcon, and the MH.
Although I have just recently gotten my hands on a rod that was custom made for me by CrazyFish rods, and i LOVE this thing. As loyal as i am to my Falcon, I will be replacing them with these rods.Amazing.
Tnbasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-06, 11:30 PM   #8
FlyRod

Senko,

I'd advise the St.Croix Premier 6'6". Make sure it is the newer '06 model and it shouldn't cost more than 90 bux.
They have a superior product and a GREAT Warranty (Be sure and mail in the card!)
Be advised that St.Croix's rods tend to be a little stouter, although feather light, than other rods of the same "MH" rating. If you can, try the M model as well. MH can be a bit much when you want to throw a 1/8 oz weight on a T-rigged worm, a 4" Senko, Tiny Torpedo, small ShadRap, etc, and they ain't too great for "working" a topwater. They aren't too handy for cranking either. Life isn't all 5/8 oz jigs.
If you use braid on the M model, you'll have no end of hooksetting power with T-Rigs and the like, and a good mono or fluoro, in the 12 to 15 range, will handle other stuff well. (Note: Don't use fluoro with topwaters...drags them down and impedes action.)

Neither the cheaper AllStars nor the 99 dollar Lowriders will compare with the Premier, and there are issues now that Shakespeare has bought AllStar. He should have stuck to writing plays! LOL!

Just my opinion based on 55 years of fishing. Your other kindly uncle, Rebbasser, will tell you I know a tad bit 'bout this stuff...I hope!

Your Kindly Uncle Fly

PS: Why the Castaic? I have and use 'em, but only for flipping and pitching. Look at a Daiwa 153HST if you can. A few bux less than the Castaic and both Rebbasser and I will vouch for their performance and quality. Besides, those magnetic brakes can be a blessing.
FlyRod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-06, 11:38 PM   #9
Rebbasser

I agree with the Daiwa 153HST-great reel, and Uncle Flyrod do know a thing or two about this stuff .
Old 06-10-06, 06:52 AM   #10
1FASTLASER

AIRRUS RODS

Man I really wish that I had enough of these rods to send everyone one to give a try. They are by far the most sensitive, reliable, light rod I have ever owned and/or fished. There actions are EXACTLY what they are supposed to be. What I mean by that is say a 6'6" M rod has a 50/50 action a MH rod has a 70/30 action and a H rod has a 80/20 action. There gurantee cannot be bested, there handles are warm to the touch in cold weather. The sensitivity is FANTASTIC. The accuracy with these rods is also undeniable. I still as I always will make the offer that if you buy a Airrus rod and dont like it give me a holler and I will buy it from you with the one exception that I cannot use the pistol grip rods due to a injury. Beat that.
Old 06-10-06, 10:37 AM   #11
JB

laser, on the airrus website they offer this info...do you prefer a fast rod? and is the difference the amount of graphite strength in the top 1/3 of the rod?
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-06, 06:30 AM   #12
1FASTLASER

Uh dont see no info but there tips are so responsive it's unbeleivable. If you have fished with rods, the berkley lighting rof comes to mind, that have TRUE actions you would see what I am trying to explain. So many of todays rod builders have gotten away from the standard that was set years and years aggo when I was young. The action be it M,MH,or H actually depicted the way that the rod bent and where the backbone of the rod really kicked in. The 50/50.70/30,80/20 where the numbers for this. What it means is on the 50/50 rod 50 percent of the rod was backbone and 50 percent of the rod was tip so to speak giving you a soft enough tip to fish say cranks but having enough backbone to deliver a bone jarring hookset and the transition between these 2 is unbeleivably smooth.
Old 06-11-06, 11:13 AM   #13
zooker

sticking with fenwick my self for middle the road techiques. but for the tricker stuff like lipless baits i have gone with a lews speed stick 7 foot mh. and frogs a custom 7' heavy action crazyfishrod company elite series -with fancy thread work- the lews and the frog rod are both set up for bait specific actions. the lews is very soft tipped with a lot of bend -have yet have a bass throw a lipless bait on this rod. the frog rod is very stiff fast action tip rod. designed like a flippin stick to yank bass out of heavy cover.but still throw light/weightless baits.

zooker
Old 06-11-06, 05:06 PM   #14
bassboogieman

With the reel/line you indicated this looks like a flip/pitch application. 7'-0" minimum length, Heavy with a fast tip, and pick a good rod brand if you can afford it. I have never fished CA, so I don't know what your weed conditions are like. But if I were making a similiar suggestion to someone in FL, for example with HEAVY weeds, I think I'd go up to a 7'-6" X-tra Heavy rod. The one I like may not please everyone but I like Kistler LTA (Helium's). Any top brand rod (Loomis and St Croix are also very good) will be fine, or you can surely choose to go custom. But in this application choose a light and sensitive rod, it will make a difference in your ability to pinpoint a presention and do it all day without fatigue. Good luck with your selection.
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-06, 06:55 PM   #15
Herdbull
BassFishin.Com Member

1- Cabela's XML series in 6'6" med. fast - 1 piece.

2- Pinnacle

3- All Star
Herdbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-06, 09:50 PM   #16
baitcast23
BassFishin.Com Member

i like my medium action shakspier rod
baitcast23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-06, 09:06 AM   #17
everettvet

I like American Rodsmith rods. They are sensitive, light weight and feel great. They are not the cheapest, but not the most expensive either.
everettvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-06, 09:39 AM   #18
lizardsrule

ST Croix, Legend series 7' H Fast action. That's the specific rod I have tied on with that specific reel. I pitching more than anything, so that rod is used 75% of the time. I also have a G-Loomis 7 MH rod I use for my secondary rod for pitching and flipping. I have exspensive taste rotflmao.

Lizards
Old 06-12-06, 09:58 AM   #19
betursweetbass

Send a message via Yahoo to betursweetbass

Speaking as an owner of many good quality rods, I'd have to say the best of them to this point is my AIRRUS. Why? You ask:
Well, they are extremely light and sensitive, yet strong and versitile, and I'm able to use the rod in just about all of my favorite applications, without giving up anything in relationship to the lure.
It's just an outstanding rod, period. But, your choice of the Shimano Crucial is a good one as well, and the Crucial is about 45.00 less than the AiRRUS.
betursweetbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-06, 11:22 AM   #20
senko

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyRod
Senko,

I'd advise the St.Croix Premier 6'6". Make sure it is the newer '06 model and it shouldn't cost more than 90 bux.
They have a superior product and a GREAT Warranty (Be sure and mail in the card!)
Be advised that St.Croix's rods tend to be a little stouter, although feather light, than other rods of the same "MH" rating. If you can, try the M model as well. MH can be a bit much when you want to throw a 1/8 oz weight on a T-rigged worm, a 4" Senko, Tiny Torpedo, small ShadRap, etc, and they ain't too great for "working" a topwater. They aren't too handy for cranking either. Life isn't all 5/8 oz jigs.
If you use braid on the M model, you'll have no end of hooksetting power with T-Rigs and the like, and a good mono or fluoro, in the 12 to 15 range, will handle other stuff well. (Note: Don't use fluoro with topwaters...drags them down and impedes action.)

Neither the cheaper AllStars nor the 99 dollar Lowriders will compare with the Premier, and there are issues now that Shakespeare has bought AllStar. He should have stuck to writing plays! LOL!

Just my opinion based on 55 years of fishing. Your other kindly uncle, Rebbasser, will tell you I know a tad bit 'bout this stuff...I hope!

Your Kindly Uncle Fly

PS: Why the Castaic? I have and use 'em, but only for flipping and pitching. Look at a Daiwa 153HST if you can. A few bux less than the Castaic and both Rebbasser and I will vouch for their performance and quality. Besides, those magnetic brakes can be a blessing.
Thanks and ill look in to the rod and reel.i dont know why the castaic...there is somethin inside of me that tells me to get it.again thanks for the help!!!
Old 06-12-06, 11:31 AM   #21
senko

fly rod,could you give me a model number on the rod?

thanks,
BF
Old 06-13-06, 06:34 AM   #22
1FASTLASER

Senko

Could it be that the castaic is prbably one of the best IMHO flippings reels they have made or has lizards gotten into your brain like he did mine. He was one of the deciding factors when I bought my castaic last year and I aint never looked back. It does a excellant job and it has a rock solid hookset never giving up at the wrong moment. I been using P-Line IV Spectra on it but switched to Power-Pro 65lb test. I cant tell if the Power Pro is any better when I am using this technique but I will tell ya it hasnt let me down. And to top it all off I am throwing this reel and line on a AIRRUS rod. 7ftr Heavy action. Beleive me when I say I cross his eyes it aint no joke. Using this combo I have literally on 2 occasions brought back parts of the lip. Now they where small lips but goes to show ya the strength of this combo. When flipping the jig in the jungle it AINT LET ME DOWN. Several occasions 1 1/2 to 2lb fish have literally become airborn when I set the hook.
Old 06-13-06, 08:12 AM   #23
FlyRod

Quote:
Originally Posted by senko
fly rod,could you give me a model number on the rod?

thanks,
BF
PC66MF...OR...PC66MF2 (the latest version and it IS ten bux more, but worth it, I'm sure. Check out all St. C. here http://search.netscape.com/ns/boomfr...oixrods.com%2F

TAKE YOUR TIME!

Uncle Fly
Old 06-13-06, 08:23 AM   #24
FlyRod

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1FASTLASER
Senko

Could it be that the castaic is prbably one of the best IMHO flippings reels they have made or has lizards gotten into your brain like he did mine. He was one of the deciding factors when I bought my castaic last year and I aint never looked back. It does a excellant job and it has a rock solid hookset never giving up at the wrong moment. I been using P-Line IV Spectra on it but switched to Power-Pro 65lb test. I cant tell if the Power Pro is any better when I am using this technique but I will tell ya it hasnt let me down. And to top it all off I am throwing this reel and line on a AIRRUS rod. 7ftr Heavy action. Beleive me when I say I cross his eyes it aint no joke. Using this combo I have literally on 2 occasions brought back parts of the lip. Now they where small lips but goes to show ya the strength of this combo. When flipping the jig in the jungle it AINT LET ME DOWN. Several occasions 1 1/2 to 2lb fish have literally become airborn when I set the hook.
Somehow, I can't see a youngster wanting a brute of a combo to start his bassin' career with. Why should we limit him to flipping, or any other specific lure or technique?
Note to Senko: I maintain that you need to seriously consider the type of bassing most available to you. A local park pond, with clear water and a fair amount of fishing pressure is NOT the place for a Castaic spooled with cable and mounted on a telephone pole. If, however, some rare circumstance dictates that the ONLY fishing you will have access to involves thick grass, dense brush, and huge bass who will eat only 1&1/2 jigs, then the Godzilla Combo touted above IS for you.
(I'm sure we're all impressed with making a bass go airborne, but we're supposed to be guiding our friend Senko, not flexing our muscles.)

FR
Old 06-13-06, 11:34 AM   #25
senko

100 bucs for a st. croix???damn i thought they were up with loomis...that is a nice rod,and i did some asking around and i have a friend that loves this rod.i will consider it.i am in 4-H,i dont no if u know what that is,but it is hard to explain.basically,i take a pig to the county fair.i show it and then auction it of for about 500-2000 dollars every year.that is how i make my profit.anyways,back to the subject,that is a good rod and reel combo;the daiwa and st croix.i think that is what ill get.i have been fishing since i was in a walker;my dad would cast out the pole and i would hold it.of course you cant really call that fishing...i`ll give you an update of the rod reel i buy.untill next time...
thanks so much,
BF

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.