Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 07-10-06, 11:38 PM   #1
bassking22
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Default Pouring Plastics

I just decided I'm going to start hand pouring my own plastics. Do any of you have any suggestions on starter kits or anything like that because i dont want to start off wasting my money.

Thanks,
Ben
Old 07-10-06, 11:43 PM   #2
planxdownfall
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Send a message via AIM to planxdownfall

i dont know of any kits but i know some people that have tried it. they said it sucks, and it is just easier to go out and buy them. I actually want to try it to though even if it doesnt work well, it seems like fun.
planxdownfall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-06, 11:48 PM   #3
bassking22

I found a kit on the website below and was thinking it didn't look too bad for $50
http://www.jannsnetcraft.com/soft-pl...022500001.aspx
Old 07-10-06, 11:51 PM   #4
planxdownfall

cool i'll take a look, i want to start doing it. it looks like fun, but i wonder how well it works
Old 07-11-06, 01:07 AM   #5
mymomisbecky

dont expect to be able to stop at the 50 dollar kit it just doesnt go very far. Without a fair amount of molds and colors, glitters, hardener, salt, softener, scent, paints, pouring equipment etc, you will find yourself buying those things., I started out pouring for a hobby, for myself, 100 dollar kit turned in to 200, into 300, into 5000. it adds up fast. But now I have a business that I love (part time) so I cant complain too much
its addicting but good luck, ill help you out any way I can. I also sell molds , at a great price, compared to the others.
mymomisbecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-06, 11:16 AM   #6
bassking22

Thanks, Im saving up right now to start, and if I am good enough, and they catch fish, I'll probably start selling mine locally too, just for some extra pocket money. Plus i wont have to buy expensive Gulp worms, or Senkos!
Old 07-11-06, 11:19 AM   #7
mymomisbecky

Just FYI before you maybe get started. If you are just wanting to pour your own, unless you use about 20 bags of senkos a year , it wont pay for itself in that regard. If its a hobby, and its fun, thats the right reason, because its a money loser 9 times out of 10. its just expensive
Old 07-11-06, 05:35 PM   #8
Fish On

Send a message via AIM to Fish On

I like to recycle my plastics. For example is a worm is ripped up then I will save it until the end of the year. By the end of the fishing season I will melt some baits and get unique colors. I make molds from Plaster of Paris and love to make jig trailers.
Old 07-11-06, 05:40 PM   #9
JB
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

ryan,
do you put salt in all your plastics or do some have a scent and whats the scent comparable to?
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-06, 12:33 AM   #10
mymomisbecky

JB, you can go look on the site for scents, etc, in the drop down menu when you order (you dont have to order to see)
I only use salt in my stik baits, but will pour any bait with it if you want. its all custom.
scents include, crawdad, tournament pro, garlic, cherry, grape, and anise (which isnt an option yet) or ill marinade the baits in CB's Hawg Sauce before shipping.
salt makes em sink of course, i find most people if given the choice, want em to float naturally and they will weight em down as needed.
Old 07-14-06, 09:48 AM   #11
planxdownfall

cool, i am definitaly going to start doing this
Old 07-14-06, 09:52 AM   #12
crankybait
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Woah dont jump into this people. Bassking didnt you just decide to make crankbaits? I started crankbait making with like 80 bucks... now ive spent way over 300. With plastics there is tons of materials you gotta keep buying. Not to mention the fumes will be horrible. and then there are molds to make or buy your own. and all the melting...
Old 07-14-06, 09:58 AM   #13
planxdownfall

mymomisbecky, where do you buy your stuff from
Old 07-14-06, 10:05 AM   #14
crankybait

i could answer this one. if your really going to start, go to jannsnetcraft. get some delmart molds... or to make yor own, get some kind of resin. forgot what it was called, youll have to find that yourself. you just press in a bait or just press in an impression of what you want to make, let it harden, then pour.
Old 07-14-06, 10:23 AM   #15
mymomisbecky

I get most of my molds from del-mart. They are aluminum and of great quality. I use a couple of other people for my custom molding (of my own bait creations etc) that I would rather not share.
Problem with resin is it shrinks. For instance, say a bait out of the package has 100% surface area. When the resin heats, its shrinks, so the baits it produces, look good, but may only have 85% of that same surface area, or mass... I wont use resin. My customers deserve to get a great bait.
I use 90% aluminum except on my grandads noodle mold, but its a pretty intense mold for that one. It takes about 15 line holders, pins, etc for EACH bait to keep the line centered etc. its a pain, but worth it.
I would caution someone from jumping in too.. it adds up insanely fast. but it can be fun. Do take in to account the fumes. Masks dont work but for a brief brief time. You would want to get a overhead fumehood etc, which is also not cheap. You are risking your health without it.
Old 07-14-06, 01:58 PM   #16
bassking22

Cranky, I am making a crankbait right now and will make at least 3 more, if they are succesful then I will start making them frequently, but now it's just an experiment. If I'm not satisfied with crankbaits I will then try pouring plastics, then will decide which one to continue with. Right now i am having a great time making my first crankbait, and will try plastics, but in the long run will most likely stick to crankbaits, and pour SOME plastics.
Old 07-14-06, 02:13 PM   #17
crankybait

dude dont try that. stick to one thing. and 3 crankbaits isnt enough to figure out if its right for you. it takes many lures to get the right action. im still trying to perfect my weighting... and its been about 1/2 a year. stick to it for a while. becuase then you may buy the stuff for plastics and not like it, that would be a waste. mmib how much do those molds run? i was looking at em once, i beleive they're quite expensive.
Old 07-14-06, 02:18 PM   #18
bassking22

Actually a local guy offered to teach me and let me use his stuff til I can buy my own! But it's too expensive, plus my parents wont let me. And I am sticking to crankbaits.
Old 07-14-06, 02:21 PM   #19
crankybait

haha good choice personally i like crankbaits much more anyways... so much more fun designing and shaping them, plus you wont die from inhaling fumes. good luck.
Old 07-14-06, 02:21 PM   #20
mymomisbecky

well, here is the thing.. for personal use, 1 mold is enough, of a particular bait.. like a beaver mold is 2 cavity, about 50 bucks... that would be ok for a guy pouring for himself. but when you are a business, that doesnt cut it. you need 10 of em, or 20, it just adds up.
Stik molds are expensive, 100 bucks on average for 4 cavities. but once again, you cant make many baits with one mold. take the baits out, reheat plastic, its just horribly inneficient, but ok for a person pouring his own.
i wouldnt discourage anyone from trying, just realize that its going to be 5x more than you expect it to be. costs just add up.
Old 07-14-06, 02:24 PM   #21
mymomisbecky

ok... if you are serious about pouring your own baits, here is something ill do for you.. ive been toying with the idea of putting together a kit, different from those sites.
Ill melt the plastic, color it, glitter it, scent it, and cool it.
Ill send you a mold, ready to use. A pyrex cup for heating in the microwave, the plastic, ready to melt and pour. Everything you will need, except a spoon to mix the plastic.
I would send you probably 8 oz of plstic or 16oz in a kit, 1 color or 2 , or whatever you would want.
Id probably do a kit for 35 bucks or so.
8oz of plastic would get you somewhere in the neighborhood of 30-50 6 inch trick worms.
Old 07-14-06, 02:28 PM   #22
planxdownfall

would the microwave work???
Old 07-14-06, 02:29 PM   #23
crankybait

now that is a good deal....
and may i point out that for 50-100 bucks you can get an AMAZING dual action airbrush. for the price of two molds you could get an airbrush and a compressor... and the cool thing about crankbait making is that the only materials you need to keep constantly buying are wood, hooks, paint, and weights... there are lots of other small parts but they barely add cost.
Old 07-14-06, 02:30 PM   #24
mymomisbecky

yeah, you can use the microwave for personal pouring.. its pretty inneficient in a business setting, but it works.
Old 07-14-06, 02:34 PM   #25
planxdownfall

will the plastic break and rip easier, or will it be almost exactly the same? say i was to buy a kit, could i just microwave the regular plastic it comes with?

Last edited by planxdownfall; 07-14-06 at 03:02 PM.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.