Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 07-14-06, 01:36 AM   #1
vagabond
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default Question about using a heavy lure

Today I got a new lure and it's the heaviest one I've used to date. I'm not sure of the weight right now. I had spider line on and used a knot that I always use when I fly fish. It's the Improved Clinch Knot.

Anyway, I walk up the water and eye the piece of water I'd like to fish. My first cast my lure wobbles through the air and apparently snapped the knot as the knot was still sort of on the end of my line with the lure being 30-40 feet out in the water.

I've tied this know for 15+ years when flyfishing. This is my first month of bass fishing and obviously it's not the knot to use for a lure like this.

Any suggestions on the knot to use with a heavy lure and spiderline?

Thanks,
Aaron
vagabond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-06, 02:22 AM   #2
islandbass
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Was your line SW Braid? The improved clinch knot, an excellent knot for mono, is not a good selection for braid. The palomar knot is a better choice.

I also use the IC knot and at times when I tie it too quickly on the pull down, I have actually snapped the line at the knot on the final tug. When I tie it taking my time and doing it right, there is usually no issue.

The other thing that is more likely I hope is that maybe there was a weak spot where you tied the knot. The same thing happened to me when I cast my first ever rattle knot. At least it was a beautiful megacast!
Old 07-14-06, 02:50 AM   #3
ILfishinman
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to ILfishinman Send a message via MSN to ILfishinman

i ALWAYS use a palomar knot. unless im splicing lines then its a double uni for me . but i have the super braid too and the palomar knot is exelent for it, never slips.
Old 07-14-06, 03:07 AM   #4
vagabond

Allright. Thanks guys. From now on it's the Palomar.
Old 07-14-06, 06:17 AM   #5
KenDammit

I use the improved clinch with PowerPro(might be a little different than Spiderwire) and it doesn't slip. Its a safe knot so long as you tie it correctly. Another thing I always do is pull as hard as I can on the knot and jig just to test its strength before I make a cast...just a quick tug to make sure theres no slippage.
KenDammit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-06, 08:33 AM   #6
Tnbasser

Send a message via Yahoo to Tnbasser

Kendammit,
PowerPro is a lot different from spiderwire, but the reason for the palomar knot on braid is not so much slip as the other knots can cause the line to cut itself.
You have not had any problems with it? Why would you choose that knot over the Palomar. The palomar is a MUCH stronger knot.
Tnbasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-06, 09:25 AM   #7
vagabond

Ok, I'm playing around with the Palomar. Is the first step to overthread the eye. Then you reverse the end of the line back through the eye, while holding the loop you've created as to not let it take you back where you started? From there, all of your tieing is being done with the excess loop?

Also, is PowerPro probably a better line to be using than Spider line?
Old 07-14-06, 09:35 AM   #8
FlyRod

Vagabond,

One question that remains unasked, and, consequently, unanswered, is:
What test are you using?
While my colleagues here are spot on in touting the superiority of the Palomar knot, consideration must be given to line test.
You may be attempting to cast a lure that generates so much force on the cast that it is weakening and ultimately snapping the line.
One of our members informed me, some weeks ago, that he uses the Clinch, NOTHING but the Clinch, and that's THAT!. Well, I hope he meant, at least, the Improved Clinch but even at that he may be courting disaster when using ANY line, but especially braid or fluoro.
In tying ANY knot, lubing the line continuously as you tighten it is crucial.
Exactly WHAT make and model is the lure in question? Weight as stated on the package? Line type and test? I'd like to know, please.

FR
FlyRod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-06, 12:13 PM   #9
Tnbasser

Send a message via Yahoo to Tnbasser

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyRod
Vagabond,

What test are you using?
While my colleagues here are spot on in touting the superiority of the Palomar knot, consideration must be given to line test.
You may be attempting to cast a lure that generates so much force on the cast that it is weakening and ultimately snapping the line.
One of our members informed me, some weeks ago, that he uses the Clinch, NOTHING but the Clinch, and that's THAT!. Well, I hope he meant, at least, the Improved Clinch but even at that he may be courting disaster when using ANY line, but especially braid or fluoro.
Exactly WHAT make and model is the lure in question? Weight as stated on the package? Line type and test? I'd like to know, please.

FR
VERY well said, Flyrod.
Tnbasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-06, 12:45 AM   #10
KenDammit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tnbasser
Kendammit,
PowerPro is a lot different from spiderwire, but the reason for the palomar knot on braid is not so much slip as the other knots can cause the line to cut itself.
You have not had any problems with it? Why would you choose that knot over the Palomar. The palomar is a MUCH stronger knot.

not one single problem and I've pulled small logs, rocks, all kinds of snags up while using the improved clinch. I think its easier to tie(for me) than a palomar knot when I need to do it quickly. It has never proven to be a weak knot...thats why i use it.
KenDammit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-06, 12:48 AM   #11
NCYankee

I use the "improved" clinch knot with 30lb Sufix braid. I have had no problems. I use the same knot with mono, and I always wet the line.
NCYankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-06, 02:41 AM   #12
vagabond

Quote:
Vagabond,

What test are you using?

FR
To be honest, I don't know the line test. It's Spiderwire and I don't remember what test I picked up. I also don't know the weight of the lure. I looked at one of the packs but they don't say. It was a Jerry Rago's mouse.

The lure probably doesn't weigh more than two ounces, so what-ever the test, I think it should have been able to hold.

Anyway, I'm not using that rod and reel again for a while. I bought a very nice Rogue Rod an ok Pflueger President Bait Cast Reel today(I think it's ok, the guy told me it's a pretty good starter reel). I also got some PowerPro as that seems to be one of the favorites around here.

I never used a baitcaster before so I anticipate some problems. But atleast I know the Palomar now.

Thanks for the tips everyone.
Old 07-15-06, 10:46 AM   #13
FlyRod

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by vagabond

The lure probably doesn't weigh more than two ounces, so what-ever the test, I think it should have been able to hold.

Thanks for the tips everyone.
TWO OUNCES?????
That's not a mouse, it's *%^&#! RAT!
You're lucky you don't have a new "two-piece" rod.

FlyRat

Old 07-15-06, 01:28 PM   #14
vagabond

Quote:
TWO OUNCES?????
That's not a mouse, it's *%^&#! RAT!
You're lucky you don't have a new "two-piece" rod.

FlyRat

Just incase you didn't read the post good...I said it was heavy, but I don't know how heavy. The package DOESN'T list a weight.

The package does say "Generic Rat" even though I ordered the mouse but on the other side the sticker says "Generic Brown Mouse".

It does't matter. I just wanted to know what type of knot to be using, which thankfuly islandbass was able to help me a couple days before you tried to mock me.
Old 07-15-06, 01:47 PM   #15
Rebbasser
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Hey Vagabond-take a look here before you start using the baitcaster:

http://pages.infinit.net/fishing/bait101.htm

Best site I've seen for setting up a baitcaster to perform correctly.
Old 07-15-06, 02:49 PM   #16
vagabond

Rebbasser,

Thanks for the help. I'm just trying to soak in as much as possible. I'm going to read that site you posted right now.

Thanks again,
Aaron
Old 07-15-06, 05:44 PM   #17
islandbass

Aaron,

That's mighty kind of you. Thanks!

Please check out www.netknots.com for a handful of great knots I like to use. There is another sight that actually has animated clips that show you how to tie it, but I can't remember that site's name.

-ib
Old 07-15-06, 05:55 PM   #18
dodgeguy

first of all trash the spiderwire and get sufix or powerpro braid.second, use a palomar knot and crazyglue it.
Old 07-15-06, 05:56 PM   #19
JB

first of all trash the spiderwire and get sufix or powerpro braid.second, use a palomar knot and crazyglue it.

there ya go!
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-06, 03:49 AM   #20
FlyRod

Quote:
Originally Posted by vagabond
Just incase you didn't read the post good...I said it was heavy, but I don't know how heavy. The package DOESN'T list a weight.

The package does say "Generic Rat" even though I ordered the mouse but on the other side the sticker says "Generic Brown Mouse".

It does't matter. I just wanted to know what type of knot to be using, which thankfuly islandbass was able to help me a couple days before you tried to mock me.
Listen, and listen well. I was NOT mocking you. I was reacting to what would be a catastrophic situation for normal bassin' tackle. I HAD hoped that you would research the actual weight of the WaterRodent and balance your tackle accordingly. That's what some of us here do; Try to help, balanced with humor.
Good luck, you're gonna need it.

FR
Old 07-16-06, 03:30 PM   #21
Bo Dale James Jr.

I'm with FR on this one, after all he's not the one who tied a muskrat on a Barbie pole and threw for the cheap seats! Check your knots like KenDammit suggested and mix in some Crazy glue!

OK I'm sorry.....
Old 07-16-06, 04:35 PM   #22
IL.bassin

Send a message via Yahoo to IL.bassin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo Dale James Jr.
I'm with FR on this one, after all he's not the one who tied a muskrat on a Barbie pole and threw for the cheap seats! Check your knots like KenDammit suggested and mix in some Crazy glue!

OK I'm sorry.....
Aaron ignore this stuff it's just typical sarcasm from fisherman in Illinois....wait a minute I'm from.....

Anyway. Most of the posters give each other a ton of crap here. And since you didnt make a post that was something like " Is beef jerky good for bass or should I use the turkey jerky substitute" but a legit question, you were treated like any of the vet posters here. In other words some try to help but mess around a little (me, flyrod, JB) Some are relly to the point(rebbasser) and some you will just never figure out (zooker, P-N-J )

If you want help you have to be more specific at times. To me 3/4oz and up is heavy. You came with 2 oz yeah your gonna get a reaction.

Anyway hope you stick around and I'll be glad to help if I can.
IL.bassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-06, 05:08 PM   #23
vagabond

Quote:
Originally Posted by IL.bassin
Aaron ignore this stuff it's just typical sarcasm from fisherman in Illinois....wait a minute I'm from.....

Anyway. Most of the posters give each other a ton of crap here. And since you didnt make a post that was something like " Is beef jerky good for bass or should I use the turkey jerky substitute" but a legit question, you were treated like any of the vet posters here. In other words some try to help but mess around a little (me, flyrod, JB) Some are relly to the point(rebbasser) and some you will just never figure out (zooker, P-N-J )

If you want help you have to be more specific at times. To me 3/4oz and up is heavy. You came with 2 oz yeah your gonna get a reaction.

Anyway hope you stick around and I'll be glad to help if I can.
Hey, Thanks for being helpful and friendly. I used your advice and found the "ignore" button. It'll be a great tool for me becasue I'm sure I'm not done asking dumb questions yet.

Aaron
Old 07-16-06, 05:11 PM   #24
zooker

WHOA!!! il you lookin fer some thing eh?? in fact i am insulted you even drag me into your twisted misery..

i am a master of thinking outside the box.. but i come from a differant breed of bostard then the even crazy pnj..

zooker
Old 07-16-06, 05:27 PM   #25
Austin
BassFishin.Com Member

I use a fishermans knot but then go through another loop.Can you show me how to do a palomar knot?
Austin is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.