Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 08-30-06, 10:58 PM   #26
flamez
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBZILLA View Post
Big eh? I saw one while canoing and it was pushing 150 came up like a sub for air scarred the pi$$ out of me!

thats alright i nearly tipped my kayak fishin in titusville out a good 500 feet from land when a manatee came up for air all i saw was a large grey object and a bulbous nose
Old 08-31-06, 10:55 AM   #27
Hawgin'
BassFishin.Com Member

I was very pleased with some recent news on this subject. About 3 years ago the city I lived in built a huge new softball/park complex down on some old farm land. On this new complex they built 8 retention ponds, and I just found out earlier this year that when built three years ago they stocked all the ponds with bass, hybrid bluegill, and catfish. They finally opened them up for public fishing this year, and I have caught several nice 3lb bass out of them. It's also nice to have somewhere to take the wife and son to fish so that when the little on gets restless my wife can take him to the park to play, and I can still fish but see my kid having fun at the same time.
Hawgin' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-06, 12:01 PM   #28
BluezSpot
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via Yahoo to BluezSpot
Default That's Great

Just heard about your experience on Retention ponds in your area. Sounds great hey, quick question my pond is very weedy has one main point runs about 10-15 feet deep. I have been looking in all the "cover" areas and haven't hit anything of real size also tried right off the point and that is where all the small bass are. Where are the bigger fish? I've waded out about four feet off the point and hit the weed lines and still small bass only. Water is alittle stained but over all clear. Got tips willing to try anything for the bigger ones.

Thanks for any of your info
Old 08-31-06, 12:08 PM   #29
scrap
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default pond fishing

no matter where u fish, it is all fun for most of us.
scrap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-06, 02:04 PM   #30
flamez

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluezSpot View Post
Just heard about your experience on Retention ponds in your area. Sounds great hey, quick question my pond is very weedy has one main point runs about 10-15 feet deep. I have been looking in all the "cover" areas and haven't hit anything of real size also tried right off the point and that is where all the small bass are. Where are the bigger fish? I've waded out about four feet off the point and hit the weed lines and still small bass only. Water is alittle stained but over all clear. Got tips willing to try anything for the bigger ones.

Thanks for any of your info
could just be a new pond me and a friend fish this golf course pond the first time we went therre all we could catch were dinky 12 inch or so bass some bigger its been a couple years and now we catch 4lbers so far biggest was around 5 - 6 pounds missed atleast a 6 on a crankbait castin down the bank try throwin a senko no big fish can resist its allure
Old 08-31-06, 02:24 PM   #31
BluezSpot
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Crazy Question

I know this wil sound silly to most, but what is a "SENKO" and what are some good techniques to use it. is there a web site where I could read about SENKOS. If you know let me know I have heard so much about them and never seen or used one. HELP...
Old 08-31-06, 04:01 PM   #32
flbassman
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

NO, not stupid at all. A senko, technically, is a brand name for a cigar shaped worm. It's come to mean any cigar shaped worm (tiki stiks, yum dingers, etc...) Try bassresource.com, or just a google search.
Old 08-31-06, 05:49 PM   #33
Vabass22

Tiki sticks, Yum dinger, GYCB Senkos, are all all considered senkos, right now, I am using a MMIB Uncle Sinko though, which is only available by internet. You can texas rig, or wacky rig them, and hop them in holes in weeds, work a weedline, by slowly twitching it, and letting it fall, there is no "wrong" way of fishing a senko. You can also "deadstick" it, which means just throw it out, and let it sit.
Vabass22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-06, 06:28 PM   #34
BluezSpot
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Thanks

Hey thanks for the advise. I goggled SENKOS and found Gary Yamamoto's site of course all comments were good "from that site" LOL but how are they really. I was thinking about starting with a Chartreus with red flakes "for the pond" as I said before the water was a little stained, but over all clear and in Texas a bright day is everyday I went during my lunch and fished for about 45 minutes hit 2x 1 1/2 to 2 pound largemouth bass out there only 14 inches though. I hope to get some SENKOS tonight. do you think this is a good color to start with. What other colors do you think would work well. Oh, the lakes temp. stays right around 90 degrees. All info is good info. let me know what you think.

Thanks
Old 08-31-06, 07:21 PM   #35
ILfishinman

Send a message via AIM to ILfishinman Send a message via MSN to ILfishinman

they are a bit expensive and they rip easlily. but they work great
Old 08-31-06, 07:54 PM   #36
Vabass22

I would use black, and I would get Tiki Sticks, if they are available to you. As I said, in the past week, I have caught over 50 bass, all of them in muddy one acre pond, on soft plastics, guess what color? Yep black. Not a single fish on any other colors, on plastics, or anything else.
Old 09-01-06, 10:57 AM   #37
BluezSpot
BassFishin.Com Member

Hey thanks I'm got some last night I will give them a try during lunch today. I'll follow up and let you know how it went...
Old 09-05-06, 04:36 PM   #38
BluezSpot
BassFishin.Com Member

Default To Follow Up...

Hey all,
Gave the Senkos a try in black and in chartreuse pepper and you were right I got some hits on the Chartreuse, but I landed fish on the black they were hitting it as soon as it hit the water "it seemed like". I was also using Ultrabite scent for black bass. It was like they couldn't get enough. Thanks alot for your tip try the ultrabite you just may like it.
Old 09-05-06, 07:02 PM   #39
Bender

I fished a farm pond last weekend back in Ohio. I grew up fishing them but since starting to fish again a year ago it has been all lakes. That was a lot of fun, I had a few times when 2 casts=2 bass. I was using my new black trick worms from MyMomIsBecky. Got them on Friday, great stuff!. The next day I tried the rivers and lost about $25 in cranks without a bite.
There are a lot on mine ponds back home in Ohio too, they are just hard to get around since the shore is overgrown and there is no place to put in a boat. You need a float tube or something.
I forgot how much fun small ponds are for bass fishing, now I need to find some around my place.
Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-06, 09:24 PM   #40
CMorg

Mine Pit Bass...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Resized Bass.jpg
Views:	439
Size:	67.8 KB
ID:	766  
CMorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-06, 09:33 PM   #41
ironman

Send a message via AIM to ironman

That thing's a big in.
ironman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-06, 09:38 PM   #42
Vabass22

Black plastics rock in muddy farm pond. Try this for me: get a 1/8 ounce jighead, and get a powerbait 4 inch powerworm, in black, (or for cheaper, a renegade worm), cut off the curly tail, and about a 1/4 inch of the worm, leaving a straight worm, about 3-1/4 inches of worm, and put it on the jighead, grub style. Drag this rig across the bottom,, and when you feel a bite, set the hook the same way you would set it on a senko. This has produced amazing results for me in muddy farm ponds, by far my most productive rig this summer.

Oh yeah btw, wtg!
Nice fish!
Old 09-11-06, 10:07 AM   #43
BluezSpot
BassFishin.Com Member

Talking Gave it a try WOW !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vabass22 View Post
Black plastics rock in muddy farm pond. Try this for me: get a 1/8 ounce jighead, and get a powerbait 4 inch powerworm, in black, (or for cheaper, a renegade worm), cut off the curly tail, and about a 1/4 inch of the worm, leaving a straight worm, about 3-1/4 inches of worm, and put it on the jighead, grub style. Drag this rig across the bottom,, and when you feel a bite, set the hook the same way you would set it on a senko. This has produced amazing results for me in muddy farm ponds, by far my most productive rig this summer.

Oh yeah btw, wtg!
Nice fish!
Hey gave that a try and you are now my new best friend. How in the world did you come up with that. I also tried a basic spinner bait set, but added a softplastic senko Piece to the hook only and had a trailer hook on it. Like clock work. if you got any other ideas please let me know. Thanks alot !!

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.