Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 02-02-09, 09:55 PM   #26
ky southern

i guess im as wierd as rick clunn,but i believe it aint what the rod cost,it is the feel the guy thats holding it has with that rod.if you have a good feel with a berkley cherrywood rod then thats a good rod for you,why not have all the same berkley so you kinda have the same feel as the other rods.i have got used to the extreme bps rods and i have a feel for em,and to prove it i have a crucial rod 6-6 med heavy and it is always beside a extreme 6-6med hvy in the rod locker and i always grab the extreme,i also have a pro qualifier 7 ft med hvy and it is supposed to be a little better rod than the extreme but again i always grab the 7 ft extreme.i just like the feel.im not rich and i am kinda a tite wad,but if i thought i could catch more fish with carrot sticks i would go buy 6 this weekend,but i dont feel the rods are hindering me,my ability mite be but not my rods.i hope im not way out in left field with my assetment.
Old 02-02-09, 09:57 PM   #27
Jigger
BassFishin.Com Active Member

I don't think it's important to fish with the same rod or the same brand. Go with what feels good to you for a particular application. I can go from a 7 1/2 ft Heavy action flipping stick using a Bait casting reel to a 5 1/2 ft light action rod with a spinning reel without missing a beat which I think most of us that have fished awhile can do too. So, I don't think it matters much. Get the rod that feels good to you for the particular application at hand.
Jigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-09, 10:36 AM   #28
Joel
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

This thread has shifted focus a few times from the original concept. With that in mind I thought that I'd re-ad my 2 cents again.

I don't use or own only one line of rods. I do use the same rod for a specific setup time and time again. Some were designed for those applications, others weren't. But they work for me. I do know how each rod should respond and that's the important thing. Same for reels. All my Baitcasters are Daiwa TDA 153s & 150s. Not the best of the Daiwa line, but rock solid year after year. Each feels the same in my hands, making it second nature to use them without giving it much thought. Even the change of gear ratios isn't a problem since I always use my 5.2 to 1 real for big, deep diving crankbaits.

My 3 spinning setups are a real Potpourri of rod and reels. Yet each one never changes and is used only for certain presentations. The Drop Shot setup is only for drop shotting which is a big plus for me.

Last fall I switched the rod on my Crankbait setup and it felt weird every time I used it. Never got to the point of it really being comfortable or natural in my hands. Planning on going back to my old setup for '09.

One thing that really hasn't been mentioned is the changing of type of line, which can really change how a setup feels and works. Going from mono to braid was a real tough act for me. Then when I tried mono again for certain presentations, I hated it.
Old 02-03-09, 09:29 PM   #29
bamabassman
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

to add a little joke here now...ALL my rods and reels are consistent. i have em both....meaning that i CONSISTENTLY have a reel attached to a rod. hahahaha. i thought that we needed a little humor on this thread.
bamabassman is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.